The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: The creekit

Postby Devi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:22 pm

The entire tournament schedule is wank. Ten teams only, so not even all test nations are playing? A bunch of entirely dead runners at the end of the round robin? Your point above? And still England won’t win it.
I like it. What is it?

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: The creekit

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:10 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Interesting. So there exists the potential for the teams playing on the final day to throw their game if they felt it would be handy to drop a place.



Oh, you mean the Aussies? Yeah, they'd do that.

User avatar
metalsmurf
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Littleborough, Gtr Scumland

Re: The creekit

Postby metalsmurf » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:46 pm

The difference in Bangladesh as a team in the last 5 years is outstanding. The way they now get around her field and their body language is the same as the, so called, top level teams.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: The creekit

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Saffers lose again.
Oh dear, ow sad, Never mind
.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Rob
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:59 am
Location: South Florida

Re: The creekit

Postby Rob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 am

Devi wrote:The entire tournament schedule is wank. Ten teams only, so not even all test nations are playing? A bunch of entirely dead runners at the end of the round robin? Your point above? And still England won’t win it.



Actually think this schedule is a vast improvement on the previous six tournaments. All plays all once in a ten team group should ensure the best four go through to the semis in a fair manner. A replica of the classic 1992 World Cup down under. Every match means something, up perhaps until the last round of fixtures. Context was seriously lacking in the previous format.

That said, I would have preferred to see the qualifying phase for the World Cup see six teams qualify, leaving two groups of seven, so fourteen teams in this tourament. All then plays all in each group with the top two from both groups qualifying for the semis. This would help grow the game worldwide and still leave context to every game.

Am guessing empty pockets of seats at the England game and today at Southampton and the Oval was the result of corporate no shows. These games have been sold out for ages. Thriller today at the Oval and again shows that games where ball slightly dominates bat produce the most enthralling matches.

London_White
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: exiled in west sussex

Re: The creekit

Postby London_White » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:18 am

There are tickets available for most games, India matches aside. Only the high price ones remaining for a couple of England games unless you want to see us play Afghanistan which seems to have decent availability.
Buggered if I'd pay £195 to see us play in a group match though which was all that was left v Windies I think

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:10 am

Windies not fucking about. Starting to think that top four might be much more of an ask for England than I thought. You’d assume that two berths have to be reserved for Australia and India but can you rule out New Zealand or the West Indies? Might need one of those two to falter at some point in the group stages to avoid embarrassment.

User avatar
Tycipa
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: The creekit

Postby Tycipa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:14 am

Tommy wrote:Windies not fucking about. Starting to think that top four might be much more of an ask for England than I thought. You’d assume that two berths have to be reserved for Australia and India but can you rule out New Zealand or the West Indies? Might need one of those two to falter at some point in the group stages to avoid embarrassment.

The convicts though are making the Windies look unbeatable. Awful shot selection.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: The creekit

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:27 am

Tommy wrote:Windies not fucking about. Starting to think that top four might be much more of an ask for England than I thought. You’d assume that two berths have to be reserved for Australia and India but can you rule out New Zealand or the West Indies? Might need one of those two to falter at some point in the group stages to avoid embarrassment.


Yeah. Hard not to think that every single one of our big batsmen could get done by the Windies attack.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: The creekit

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Hmm, well, the Aussies are staging a comeback. Could make 270-280 now. If they do - and get Gayle out cheaply - they're in with a real chance again.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: The creekit

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:55 pm

Fuck me what a catch! Better than Stokes.

User avatar
Tycipa
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: The creekit

Postby Tycipa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:55 pm

Cottrell running Stokes close for catch of the tournament.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

London_White
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: exiled in west sussex

Re: The creekit

Postby London_White » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:56 pm

Got to think the Aussies have given themselves a good chance here - they may get near 300
Just as I typed that Smith got out
Still think I'd back the Aussies from here

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: The creekit

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:11 pm

All about the ebb and flow. Convicts suddenly wobbling again.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: The creekit

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:19 pm

288 is OK. Still in the balance, I'd say.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Yeah I don’t think the Windies will chase that. That’s actually a relief, can’t afford them to get too many points on the board.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: The creekit

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Shite Hope more like, amirite lads?

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: The creekit

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:05 am

I looked in briefly when it was 15 off 5 :D

Solid 350+ from here, please.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Routine win today but can’t help but think that Friday is already a must win, which is vaguely jarring. I don’t particularly fancy England to get much from Australia, India or New Zealand so it could well prove to be do or die against every other team in the tournament. I feel like it’d be fairly embarrassing not to make the semi-finals on home soil.

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: The creekit

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:40 pm

Tommy wrote:Routine win today but can’t help but think that Friday is already a must win, which is vaguely jarring. I don’t particularly fancy England to get much from Australia, India or New Zealand so it could well prove to be do or die against every other team in the tournament. I feel like it’d be fairly embarrassing not to make the semi-finals on home soil.


We’ll win 2 out of 3 of those. Even playing shite against Pakistan we knocked in the 3rd highest score of the World Cup so far, to go along with the highest score we posted today and the 4th highest score from the opening game. If the bowlers can perform to the level they did against South Africa more often than not then nobody will get near us.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests

cron