The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Tommy

Re: The creekit

Postby Tommy » Thu May 30, 2019 4:09 pm

Obviously it's good that Amla is okay but I can't help but feel a bit duped. Arguably their best batsman is suddenly back, playing in the tail end.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Thu May 30, 2019 4:15 pm

Ben Stokes take a bow!
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Thu May 30, 2019 4:22 pm

The ever reliable R/Cricket responds:

London_White

Postby London_White » Thu May 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Tommy wrote:Obviously it's good that Amla is okay but I can't help but feel a bit duped. Arguably their best batsman is suddenly back, playing in the tail end.

Duped how?
He went off for a concussion check, surely sensible?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu May 30, 2019 6:20 pm

Obviously I'm kidding, it was good to see him back (and then gone again).

Overall a promising performance from England. Stokes very much a match-winner today with a confident knock, two wickets, a ridiculous catch and a very good throw preceding Pretorius' run-out. I had him down as a bit of a weak link going into this tournament but he was everywhere. Archer a little bit frightening at times and you can't help but relish the prospect of him and the recently supercharged Wood bearing down on the Aussies in the Ashes, assuming both are fit/selected. South Africa actually played quite well and should improve when Steyn is back. Early days obviously but I suspect it's more or less five teams competing for four semi-final spots and it could well be tight between them and New Zealand to stake their claim along with England, Australia and India. Great start to the tournament anyhow.

London_White

Postby London_White » Thu May 30, 2019 8:06 pm

Sorry Tommy, sometimes it's hard to remember who might be being sarcastic on here and who isnt.
Good to see the bowlers show that it's not just about bashing it to all parts in this game. Happy with a comfortable win against one of the better sides

Rob

Postby Rob » Fri May 31, 2019 12:13 am

Solid start to the WC by England. With the welcome return of the classic, competitive 1992 format with the 10 team round robin qualifier, our net run rate got us off to a decent start too.

Fabulous catch by Stokes in a good all round team display. Not sure why the Saffas dropped their main finisher Miller.

Have managed to snaffle some tickets with a few chums for the cons match at Lord's. After a couple of personal annus horribilis am now most looking forward to handing it out then to Smith, Warner etc.

As a PS, why is the BBC sport site's lead feature about a Spanish club player potentially leaving Real Madrid, not our own nation's main summer sports WC opening fixture !?

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri May 31, 2019 8:23 am

Rob wrote:why is the BBC sport site's lead feature about a Spanish club player potentially leaving Real Madrid, not our own nation's main summer sports WC opening fixture !?

Because the ECB has conditioned English cricket fans to be more interested in sporting heroes born and developed overseas?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 31, 2019 9:39 am

Vampire wrote:
Rob wrote:why is the BBC sport site's lead feature about a Spanish club player potentially leaving Real Madrid, not our own nation's main summer sports WC opening fixture !?

Because the ECB has conditioned English cricket fans to be more interested in sporting heroes born and developed overseas?

Snore.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri May 31, 2019 9:55 am

Hotel all booked for the 25th, just gotta hope the weather is nice on the day.

Can't wait to let that cheating cunt Smith know what I think of their antics :cheers:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 31, 2019 11:04 am

Thought the Windies were supposed to be the useless makeweights in this tournament. Perhaps not.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 31, 2019 11:12 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Thought the Windies were supposed to be the useless makeweights in this tournament. Perhaps not.

Unpredictable and dangerous is more what I had in mind. Just as prone to misfiring.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 31, 2019 12:58 pm

But not today - that was over quickly. Maybe Gayle has hurt his back, though?

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Fri May 31, 2019 1:56 pm

I know it’s only two matches down but wasn’t this WC supposed to be massively skewed towards batting? So far the bowlers have dominated in both matches.

I suspected before the tournament began that Pakistan are a bit shite (the series against us and then them getting rolled by Afghanistan hinted at it) but the Windies bowling looked really dangerous today. I can see them causing some upsets in this tournament if their batsmen stay fit.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:59 am

Just looked and there’s not a single game at Hove, but they’re at Bristol and Taunton? Twats.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:07 pm

Broad taking aim at the Aussies just reminded me that the Ashes are here straight after the WC. This is how summers without a football tournament should always be :cheers:

Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:12 pm

New Zealand hammering Sri Lanka which is no great shock but they've got to be my tip for winning the whole thing.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:29 pm

Vampire wrote:NZ may not be the most likely to win it but for me they are the best value bet at 12.5. They’ve got a decent side and the conditions should suit their bowlers. In Kane Williamson they have not only one of the best batsmen in the world but probably the best against the moving ball.

AndyPaul wrote:New Zealand hammering Sri Lanka which is no great shock but they've got to be my tip for winning the whole thing.

Got them in the end on Betfair at 14-1. If they reach the semis I’ll lay them for instant profit.

:thumbl:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Rob

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:53 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Just looked and there’s not a single game at Hove, but they’re at Bristol and Taunton? Twats.

Am ticked too, being a Sussex fan.

Not enough games at the county grounds. Same old venues for all the group games hasn't been thought through in terms of spreading the interest et all around the whole country. It'll be the accountants purely choosing the larger capacity grounds to raise as much revenue as possible.

I seem to remember at the 1999 World Cup match the group game between India & South Africa being held at Hove and comments were for a fixture like that, the ground wasn't large enough. That said, as Eric will know, Hove's capacity has since been increased with the new south west stand so the ground could easily have catered to a match not involving England or India.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Have to say I’m not really familiar with many other non-Test County grounds (apart from Derby, nigh on 45 years ago), so I always imagined Hove was a decent-ish size. Went to the bish-bosh two or three years back and don’t recall whether it had been expanded.

Return to “The Square Ball”