The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Turned out to be the perfect end to what has been a thoroughly enjoyable series. Every match was entertaining, though the ultimate result of 4-1 flatters England.

This one by Rash that signalled the beginning of the end was quite a delivery.



Bloody hell, Jimmy just broke down live on Sky when asked about Cook.

User avatar
ChairmanMeaow
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:26 pm

Re: The creekit

Postby ChairmanMeaow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Was there today. Thought we were heading for a draw for a long, long time.

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: The creekit

Postby Devi » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:11 pm

Virat Kohli is a classy and generous interviewee. That post match bit with Athers was the very definition of what it is to be a gentleman.

Just thought Id mention it.
I like it. What is it?

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Kohli is great. He’s got just the right amount of fizz and just the right amount of magnitude. This was a tightly contested series from start to finish but it never became contentious or ill-tempered. Makes you think about how confrontational some tests can be and wonder if it’s necessary.

I was also very happy to see Sam Curran pick up Player of the Series (as nominated by Kohli). I think without him this could have easily been a draw or loss overall.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: The creekit

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Looks like Coad has saved Yorkshire's bacon today. Just need it not to rain tomorrow and that lot over t'hills is beaten.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:18 am

Interesting comments from Moeen Ali about facing Australia.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: The creekit

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:11 am

Ben Foakes' excellent debut century makes me wonder if England should fill their entire non-bowling lineup with wicket-keepers?

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: The creekit

Postby Vampire » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:40 am

I just don’t understand why the poms see Moeen Ali as a possible no.3? He’s a lower order slogger at his best flogging tiring attacks with a soft ball down the order - he just doesn’t have the technique to bat in the top three in test cricket.

The stats bear this out. He has scored 171 runs in 12 inns at an average of 14.2 batting in the top three compared with 1555 in 49 inns at 37.0 batting at nos 7 &8. Is he a captain’s toady in the dressing room or something?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:59 am

I don’t think anyone has any sort of coherent idea about how to fix the top order so they’re just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. It seems to me that anyone who looks good at five or below is being heralded as a potential solution despite the fact that batting later in the innings after the shine is knocked off the ball and fatigue sets in is usually a much easier proposition. Bairstow, Buttler and Ali have all been given a go and no doubt they’ll try the same with Curran and Foakes at some point. It won’t work but the truth of the matter is that wins are more important than scores and batting deep seems to work for England.

User avatar
AndyPaul
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: The creekit

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:11 am

Vampire wrote:I just don’t understand why the poms see Moeen Ali as a possible no.3? He’s a lower order slogger at his best flogging tiring attacks with a soft ball down the order - he just doesn’t have the technique to bat in the top three in test cricket.

The stats bear this out. He has scored 171 runs in 12 inns at an average of 14.2 batting in the top three compared with 1555 in 49 inns at 37.0 batting at nos 7 &8. Is he a captain’s toady in the dressing room or something?


Calm down Vamps, most people would agree he’s not a 3 though he could probably do a job for Australia in that position at present.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: The creekit

Postby Vampire » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:36 am

AndyPaul wrote:...most people would agree he’s (Moeen) not a 3...


Then why have the poms put him there in their batting order?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
AndyPaul
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: The creekit

Postby AndyPaul » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:50 am

Vampire wrote:
AndyPaul wrote:...most people would agree he’s (Moeen) not a 3...


Then why have the poms put him there in their batting order?


Because most people don’t pick the England team :thumbl:

User avatar
AndyPaul
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: The creekit

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:12 pm

AndyPaul wrote:
Vampire wrote:
AndyPaul wrote:...most people would agree he’s (Moeen) not a 3...


Then why have the poms put him there in their batting order?


Because most people don’t pick the England team :thumbl:


Well it seems Ali is back down the order now and Stokes is in at 3.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:43 am

Every time I convince myself that England’s tail isn’t going to wag, it still finds a way. Young Sam Curran absolutely brilliant late on. Can’t wait until they stick him in at three.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:42 am

Admittedly it's 'only' against Sri Lanka, who are currently diminished by injuries and no doubt somewhat distracted by ongoing political strife but England have won a series overseas! Quite a remarkable performance by the spinners, claiming every wicket in the match barring one run out in the first innings. Plus another century for Joe Root in the second innings, which was a very welcome sight. Not to mention promising contributions from Leach, Foakes, Burns and even Jennings.

Like the home test in India, one thing I will say about Root's captaincy (and Ed Smith's selections to a degree) is it's producing tests that are rollicking good fun, which is all you can ask for really. It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain that momentum going into the series against Pakistan.

Phatphil65
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Re: The creekit

Postby Phatphil65 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:38 am

Tommy wrote:Admittedly it's 'only' against Sri Lanka, who are currently diminished by injuries and no doubt somewhat distracted by ongoing political strife but England have won a series overseas! Quite a remarkable performance by the spinners, claiming every wicket in the match barring one run out in the first innings. Plus another century for Joe Root in the second innings, which was a very welcome sight. Not to mention promising contributions from Leach, Foakes, Burns and even Jennings.

Like the home test in India, one thing I will say about Root's captaincy (and Ed Smith's selections to a degree) is it's producing tests that are rollicking good fun, which is all you can ask for really. It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain that momentum going into the series against Pakistan.


Got 3 tests and a load of crash bang wallopers against the windies in January first, followed by a T20 and 3 ODI's against Pakistan before the World Cup. Next home test isn't until 24th July against Ireland.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Ah yeah you’re right. The match against Ireland should be great fun though. Hope it goes to Day Four at least.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: The creekit

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:19 am

Fucking hell, that Sri Lankan collapse was spectacular, even by England standards.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:29 am

Followed by some truly heroic no balls.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: The creekit

Postby Vampire » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:39 am

Congratulations to the Aussies for winning the world T20 women’s tournament.

The standard of womens’ cricket has been increasing exponentially in the past decade and it is one of the great success stories of world cricket.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eric olthwaite, Google [Bot], rss1969 and 16 guests