The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
AndyPaul

Re: The creekit

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Vampire wrote:Turgid typically late with his final declaration.
:mrgreen:

Probably with all the cheating and corruption in the world of cricket he felt he needed to stick around a bit longer to show what’s morally right.

Aussies wouldn’t understand.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Fair play to Cooky, the end of an improbably successful international career. I think England will miss him despite the fact that he’s been fairly shite for a while now.

Ian Bell anyone?

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Can’t help but think maybe it’s time for Jennings to follow Cook into retirement. He needed a score to stake his place in the side after a frankly torrid series and instead capped it with one of the worst leaves since my own cricket career came to an end.

I have no sensible idea who to replace either of them with but perhaps the solution is to forgo blockers at the top of the order entirely and just accept that it might be time to start treating test cricket like two consecutive ODIs since that’s what the players are essentially conditioned for these days. Buttler had a good summer so why not go all the way and bring in Hales and Roy? England practically always make 150-350 regardless of the format anyhow, might as well embrace it.

Phatphil65

Postby Phatphil65 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:21 pm

What a clueless cunt Jennings is. One good innings gets him to Sri Lanka and the dopey fucker, yet again, offers no shot. I'm getting my passport out, as my club cricket average is slightly higher than the boss eyed twat.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Tommy wrote:Can’t help but think maybe it’s time for Jennings to follow Cook into retirement. He needed a score to stake his place in the side after a frankly torrid series and instead capped it with one of the worst leaves since my own cricket career came to an end.

I have no sensible idea who to replace either of them with but perhaps the solution is to forgo blockers at the top of the order entirely and just accept that it might be time to start treating test cricket like two consecutive ODIs since that’s what the players are essentially conditioned for these days. Buttler had a good summer so why not go all the way and bring in Hales and Roy? England practically always make 150-350 regardless of the format anyhow, might as well embrace it.

I actually agree. I mean you get them lot in and atleast two would score big you’d expect giving us a base of 200ish and then anything else is a bonus. As you say, no different to the usual. Might as well go for it.

Put Butler as an opener. Every 3-4 innings he going to get 100-200 being optimistic!

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Pretty much every innings now for England is hope that one batsman makes a ton and then the others chip in the difference. There doesn't seem to be any regularity to who actually makes a century (off the top of my head Test Centurions from the past few years - Jennings, Lyth, Compton, Robson, Malan, Ballance, Cook, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Ali and I think even Broad?) so just pack the line-up with anyone who might actually do it again. They've just put Ali at Number 3 where he will inevitably flounder, thus denying the late-innings runs he practically always accrued against an old ball and tired opposition. Stick a couple of big hitters up top and if they get you even fifty runs every innings or so, that's probably a better return than any blocker you're likely to find. Plus it's quickly demoralising/panic inducing to concede lots of runs early in a test. England became one of the leading limited overs sides in the world by being aggressive and frankly they're shite at being defensive anyhow.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:14 pm

Not sure it’s ‘defensive’* that they’re necessarily bad at. More that they have the patience of a 50 year old step father of two.

*by which I mean they seem to be ok at ‘defending’ a score, just fucking awful at building one.
I like it. What is it?

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:45 am

Yes Chef.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:49 am

FIX!

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am

Tommy wrote:Yes Chef.

:salute: THAT is how you finish a test career!

That charlatan Bradman, could’ve learnt a thing or two from Chef!
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Say something nice, Vamps. And only something nice. [I bet you can't.]

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 pm

I seldom get to cricket matches these days but I think today was a good choice considering it set me back just £35. Well worth it to see Cook score a century in his last ever test for England, Joe Root scoring a confident ton, Curran smashing a six over the bowler's head, Anderson draw level with McGrath and Kohli gone for a golden duck.

London_White

Postby London_White » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Agreed Tommy, a great day.
Two centuries to enjoy, some comedy over throws thrown into the mix.
India just looked like they didn't know how to bowl to Root and Cook at times, a couple of edges aside they both batted really comfortably. India were also quite defensive I thought, Shami and Bumrah bowling to one or maybe two slips for example. Almost looked like they were just trying to delay the declaration by slowing the scoring rather than trying to get anyone out.
Saw and saluted a couple of Leeds shirts while struggling through the crowd at lunch, was one of them you maybe?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:11 pm

No, wasn't me I didn't have a Leeds shirt on because I came from and then went back to work. :basket:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Say something nice, Vamps. And only something nice. [I bet you can't.]

I’m more interested in posting comments that are objective than those that might be regarded by you as “nice.”

Turgid is obviously nowhere near the pantheon with a test average of 45 in todays batting friendly era. His high tally of runs is a product of his large number of innings.

I will, however, say this for him: He has made the absolute most of his limitations - grinding out big scores whenever he gets himself in - especially in favourable conditions. He optimises his opportunities and never throws it away. We saw that again yesterday against an Indian side that looks like it already has one foot on the plane home.

Turgid does deserve credit for that and it is one of the few things Captain Joey could learn from him. Root can sometimes make batting look easy during what should be the more difficult period early on in his innings - but too often he throws it away after passing 50 (albeit not yesterday against a disintegrating Indian attack). In that regard his conversion rate of 34% is really poor.

In contrast, Turgid’s conversion rate of 58% is exceptional and he often doesn’t stop there - turning tons into daddies or doubles. That’s one way he has made the most of his limitations and the far more talented Root should learn from that. He won’t learn anything, of course, from Turgid’s dreadful captaincy!
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:09 am

Vampire wrote:Turgid is obviously nowhere near the pantheon with a test average of 45 in todays batting friendly era. His high tally of runs is a product of his large number of innings.

45 for an opening batsmen is fairly amazing in any era. Also, 33 centuries is not the product of mere consistency.

Vampire wrote:He won’t learn anything, of course, from Turgid’s dreadful captaincy!

Aye just the two Ashes wins as Captain, plus a series victory in India etc.

The 766 he scored in Australia in the 2010 Ashes victory shouldn't preclude you from admiring a fairly incredible cricketer. I still respect and admire Smith despite his ban for being complicit in cheating.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:46 am

Tommy wrote:
Vampire wrote:Turgid is obviously nowhere near the pantheon with a test average of 45 in todays batting friendly era. His high tally of runs is a product of his large number of innings.

45 for an opening batsmen is fairly amazing in any era. Also, 33 centuries is not the product of mere consistency.

The following 21st century openers haven’t played all their cricket in the more batting friendly modern era, but all have better averages than Turgid as opener:

Hayden 50.7, Warner 48.2 (49.0 as opener), G Smith 48.26 (49.1 as opener), Sehwag 47.35 (50.0 as opener), Saeed Anwar 45.5 (47.1 as opener), Langer 45.3 (48.2 as opener), Azhur Ali 44.8 (47.3 as opener), Vaughan 41.44 (45.48 as opener).

Obviously considerably more openers to check in the previous century when bat technology was less advanced, boundary ropes further back, and pitches generally not as good for batting (even uncovered before the 80s), so confining the search to Australians and poms:

Sutcliffe 60.7 (61.1 as opener), Hobbs 56.9 (56.4 as opener), Hutton 56.7 (56.5 as opener), Ponsford 48.2 (54.1 as opener), Morris 46.5 (45.7 as opener), Simpson 46.8 (55.5 as opener), Lawry 47.15, Boycott 47.7 (48.16 as opener), Amiss 46.3 (53.7 as opener).

There’s probably a few I’ve forgotten to check but Turgid’s final average of 45 in today’s more batting friendly era is decent, but nothing special compared to other openers.

Tommy wrote:
Vampire wrote:He won’t learn anything, of course, from Turgid’s dreadful captaincy!

Aye just the two Ashes wins as Captain, plus a series victory in India etc.

Surely you’re not suggesting his captaincy was the decisive factor in any of those series? England won them in spite of his captaincy not because of it.

Tommy wrote:The 766 he scored in Australia in the 2010 Ashes victory shouldn't preclude you from admiring a fairly incredible cricketer.

I’ve already conceded he did get the maximum out of his talents. In that 2010/11 series he made the most of an attack that included half fit Harris and Bollinger, Johnson battling personal demons, and spinners of the calibre of Dougherty and Beer. Three years later he averaged just 24 against a much stronger attack - and last ashes in Oz if you take out his big score at Melbourne where everyone agreed the pitch was too placid for either side to force a win, he scored 134 in 8 innings. He was a good enough professional to get the most out of what he had - but for me not in the pantheon. That’s an honest opinion.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:31 am

How much his career annoyed you is better than any praise you could possibly give.

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:44 am

Grace, Vamps.

Its called grace.

World record 159 consecutive Tests.
12,000 runs, and the youngest to do so.
766 runs in one series.
33 centuries, incl in his first, last and first five tests as captain.
All-time leading left-hander.
4 Ashes, 2 as captain and an Indian away win.
Only English player in history to play in 50+ wins.
6th in all time catches list (non-keepers).

As someone once said, the scorebook doesn't lie.
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Making a right mess of this, lads

Return to “The Square Ball”