The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Bobbycollins

Re: The creekit

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Bobbycollins wrote:I saw a bit on the BBC News Channel earlier about The Hundred. As some of the games are to be shown on the BBC, the item was more like a trailer than a news report. Anyway, apparently The Hundred is totally new and exciting with the batting side attempting "to score as many runs as possible", as compared to the old T20 format in which...?

Personally, I hope The Hundred dies in a ditch, as it steals players from county sides that have scouted and coached young talented players and there is no grass roots foundation. The only benefit might be to provide more coverage for the women's game, however as the essence is to hit the ball out of the ground as often as possible, that won't be happening unless the women's games are played within 50 yards of one boundary. T20 in England is largely played to packed crowds, albeit with an increasingly rowdy, beer-filled element, so I can't see the need for a second product. It will be interesting to see what happens once all the free ticket offers have expired.

Whilst I feel similar about this new form of bish-bosh, the big plus factor [or so they say] is that it brings the "exciting shorter game" to terrestrial TV and the hope is that will bring in the kids again to play/watch cricket.
[20/20 not being on terrestrial.]

Yeah, I know but the exciting shorter game will quickly dispense with setting a field to suit a bowler or to hamper a batsman; bowlers will stop bowling off their normal run and then the ECB will start introducing the new and exciting It's A Knock Out version, in which batsmen have to wear clowns' shoes and bowlers have to bowl one jelly per over. (should this be on the grumpy old man thread?)

Bnimble

Postby Bnimble » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:39 pm

Not a fan of this or T20 for that matter. Of course it’s got nothing to do with the fact that I’m a grumpy fucker who hates change and believes only in the long game … 5 days / players in whites and John Arlott commentating. Halcyon days.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:11 pm

I'm not sure for the need for this new format as apposed to T20 however T20 has saved cricket. There was and is minimal interest in the county game, one dayers are so so but T20 has brought a lot of fans into the game. Like it or not it was a stroke of genius.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:15 pm

i normally watch premier league football and blokes cricket (when i watch any), tonight i've watched a mixture of a conference north football team and women's cricket and once you get over the extra mistakes and slower pace your eyes finally adjust to the dark and it's not that bad.

i reckon it's the relative quality of the players not the absolute quality that makes it enjoyable. for the cricket it was when that indian lass came in, she looked a class above and also did some weird stuff with her tongue that added a level of intrigue to her performance. it was a dramatic end to the cricket and york also drew 1-1 with sunderland after beating newcastle 1-0 the other day.

it's just good to be able to watch a bit of cricket on normal telly at a good time of day, better than expected.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:38 pm

Quiffy wrote:i normally watch premier league football and blokes cricket (when i watch any), tonight i've watched a mixture of a conference north football team and women's cricket and once you get over the extra mistakes and slower pace your eyes finally adjust to the dark and it's not that bad.

i reckon it's the relative quality of the players not the absolute quality that makes it enjoyable. for the cricket it was when that indian lass came in, she looked a class above and also did some weird stuff with her tongue that added a level of intrigue to her performance. it was a dramatic end to the cricket and york also drew 1-1 with sunderland after beating newcastle 1-0 the other day.

it's just good to be able to watch a bit of cricket on normal telly at a good time of day, better than expected.

It's not the quality of the cricket that I find objectionable and I'm very pleased that the BBC has eventually been persuaded to show cricket on a main terrestrial channel. It's the downward spiral of populism that seems to be all-pervading. It's the "T20 is popular - let's make it better" approach by people who are not interested in the sport but solely in marketing, advertising and viewing figures. It's similar to those terrible "Fred Schmied brings Bach to life" CDs of the 1980s. Progress does not involve ruining the things that ain't broke just in order that they can appear new and exciting. Cricket through The Hundred is only a small step away from becoming baseball (or rounders as we know it). I will now return to my cave.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:41 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:
Quiffy wrote:i normally watch premier league football and blokes cricket (when i watch any), tonight i've watched a mixture of a conference north football team and women's cricket and once you get over the extra mistakes and slower pace your eyes finally adjust to the dark and it's not that bad.

It's not the quality of the cricket that I find objectionable and I'm very pleased that the BBC has eventually been persuaded to show cricket on a main terrestrial channel. It's the downward spiral of populism that seems to be all-pervading. It's the "T20 is popular - let's make it better" approach by people who are not interested in the sport but solely in marketing, advertising and viewing figures. It's similar to those terrible "Fred Schmied brings Bach to life" CDs of the 1980s. Progress does not involve ruining the things that ain't broke just in order that they can appear new and exciting. Cricket through The Hundred is only a small step away from becoming baseball (or rounders as we know it). I will now return to my cave.

twenty 20 has been going for 15 years now (apparently) which surprised me, it was meant to be the death of cricket, but it's just sort of stretched its appeal and created a different skill set. test cricket hasn't been diminished as much as expected. it's not been all bad.

this seems to be going very 21st century in terms of pushing the women's game into the front window, the prize money for both competitions is equal just like the tennis i believe. i don't think just adding woen's 20twenty into the sky sports mix would have the same impact, it wouldn't be saying we're dusting off this old game and trying to bring it back to being the nations second sport like it was in the 70's and 80's. they needed to do someting drastic to make cricket the nation's summer sport again and it seems they are at least trying.

the removal of the county system is interesting and if i were from leicester, worcester, somerset or kent i'd be really narked. i'm not happy that we've got ben stokes and not jonny bairstow representing us, but i can see the sense in having only 8 teams to focus the competitiveness. this is one of the many things i don't really like about it, but i was slightly taken aback by how i actually quite enjoyed this evenings fair, it felt like they'd broken the seal by having it on at teatime bbc2 and not hidden away on sky. i sat there with my daughter and watched it trying desperately not to make overtly sexist comments until i realised i could watch york sunderland on youtube which finished just in time for the last couple of 5 ball overs. and yeah, the decimalisation of overs? that felt oddly good. 5 balls for the last over seemed far neater and tidier. i'm surprised myself to be writing that.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:40 pm

Swear Nostradamus wrote a thing about the End Of Days being confirmed when 666 cricket formats have been invented. We must be close.
Member of a clique

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:02 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Swear Nostradamus wrote a thing about the End Of Days being confirmed when 666 cricket formats have been invented. We must be close.

Is that the reason for the 5 ball "overs"?

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:24 pm

Stupid fucking ribbons on three sides of the screen combined with some fairly ordinary camera work don’t make for a good viewing experience.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:47 pm

It's alright
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 pm

definitely helps having phil tufnell and michael vaughan commentating.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:02 pm

Thought the women’s match yesterday was good so I might just watch those when I can. I can’t find it written anywhere but to me it looked like a much shorter boundary than the men use. I don’t really know many female cricketers so there’s no real sense of expectation.

Overall though, I don’t like it. It’s aesthetically displeasing and the changes they made strike me as very unnecessary. It will inevitably further diminish test match/county cricket and no doubt there will be some injuries etc. I’m also peeved that there is a Manchester team but they decided not to have a Leeds team (replaced by the Northern Superchangers, who also represent Durham and Northumberland).

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:51 pm

I dunno. Being an old cunt, I'm supposed to be agin it, but I'm giving it a go.
It helps when Malan plays like he is today. Beautiful, gorgeous, sexy timing of the ball.

I'm left without a team to support, though.
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:12 pm

dirty leeds wrote:I dunno. Being an old cunt, I'm supposed to be agin it, but I'm giving it a go.
It helps when Malan plays like he is today. Beautiful, gorgeous, sexy timing of the ball.

I'm left without a team to support, though.

You are clearly a decent and forgiving man DL, however the fact of Malan batting well (though not for Yorkshire) does not prevent The Hundred from being the fourth circle of hell. I defy anyone who watched the 2019 cricket world cup final on television to claim that it wasn't the most compelling, exciting and enjoyable day of sport they had watched in years. So in response to England becoming 50 over world champions, the ECB relegate the only 50 over county competition to a "development" tournament largely for second eleven players, with the matches taking place at the same time as the top England cricketers are performing in The Hundred. On a minor note - Southern Brave Men?? WTF??

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:07 pm

Really enjoyable afternoon watching the very young Yorkshire side beat Leicestershire in the 50 over Royal London Cup. Very mature batting from Harry Duke and George Hill to chase down the 327 score by Leicestershire.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:06 pm

Jemimah Rodrigues doing the business for Northern Superchargers (who play at Headingley) so far - 92 in the first match and 60 in the one today. Two wins and currently top of the league.

Saw that the male equivalent lost to Welsh Fire (who I guess I can also support given my Welsh heritage) thanks to a big showing by er, Yorkshire's Johnny Bairstow. They're facing Joe Root tonight, who plays for the Trent Rockets. This tournament is confusing as all fuck.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:02 pm

I see that both the BBC and Sky have now ditched the geographical references in their Hundred headlines, which now read "Brave dismantle Fire", or Lukewarm beat Oblivious. Can't see how that will help.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:29 pm

I went to Egdbaston last week and really enjoyed the entertainment. The women’s game was more exciting than the men’s in my opinion. Enjoyed it so much I got tickets for the oval for another double header
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:33 pm

Tommy wrote:I’m also peeved that there is a Manchester team but they decided not to have a Leeds team (replaced by the Northern Superchangers, who also represent Durham and Northumberland).

Yeah, I thought it was supposed to be a city based comp. why did they do away with that concept?
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Trumper

Postby Trumper » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:18 pm

T20 is like playing football with bigger goalposts and no offside. Limited overs for bowlers and artificial field restrictions. TV ratings even before covid wee on the decline. It’s brought money into the game and increased more useless tours but don’t think it’s been for the betterment of the game

Return to “The Square Ball”