The creekit

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Vampire

Re: The creekit

Postby Vampire » Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 am

Tommy wrote:Does anyone care to make a prediction? For me I can't see past India or Australia taking it because they're both more likely than other sides to show resilience in the knock-out rounds.

Odds on Betfair at time of posting:

England 3
India 4.3
Australia 5.6
NZ 12.5
SAfrica 13.5
Pakistan 18
WIndies 23
Bangladesh 100
Sri Lanka 120
Afghanistan 170

The poms being such heavy favourites and desperate to win it for the first time in their history in front of expectant home fans looks like the ingredients for a classic choke. They take a lot of risks with their batting which looks great when it comes off but may not be so effective in swinging/seaming conditions in June or in a tournament where you need some consistency to win it. Not much value at 3-1.

India has a very strong ODI side but their batsmen often struggle in English conditions. Admittedly this may be less of a problem in ODIs than in tests but it’s still a factor. They’re definitely contenders but not quite my top pick in England.

NZ may not be the most likely to win it but for me they are the best value bet at 12.5. They’ve got a decent side and the conditions should suit their bowlers. In Kane Williamson they have not only one of the best batsmen in the world but probably the best against the moving ball.

But for the most likely winner, look no further than the Wikipedia definition of the ICC World Cup:

The ICC World Cup is an international cricket tournament in which a number of countries, dressed in coloured clothing, compete against each other in a series of group and knock out matches played over several weeks on various grounds provided by the host nation. And when it is all over, the Australians lift the trophy.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat May 25, 2019 9:36 am

England v Australia ODI World Cup warm-up is on Skysports Mix [for free] today.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Sat May 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Anyone thinking of going to the Oval on Monday? Tickets only £20 if there are any left. Afghanistan beat Pakistan t’other day. Warm but overcast apparently.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat May 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Off to the Pakistan game at TB on Monday week.

Taking a lot of discipline not to invest it one of the new ODI shirts for the occasion
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:28 pm

The cricket played by both sides in this match leaves a lot to be desired.

Cant quite understand the need for it considering how half arsed the players were.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu May 30, 2019 8:19 am

Tommy wrote:Anyone thinking of going to the Oval on Monday? Tickets only £20 if there are any left. Afghanistan beat Pakistan t’other day. Warm but overcast apparently.

Me and our lass went on Monday. Sadly it didn't go on for very long due to an Afghanistan collapse in the first innings but still a good day out, albeit truncated. Somewhat improbably on a largely drab day, I received the worst sunburn I've ever had and am still suffering as a result.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu May 30, 2019 8:27 am

Really looking forward to this.
Now the exam season is almost over I'm gonna have plenty of time to get stuck into it.

COME ON YE ENGLAND .
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

London_White

Postby London_White » Thu May 30, 2019 8:51 am

Tommy wrote:
Tommy wrote:Anyone thinking of going to the Oval on Monday? Tickets only £20 if there are any left. Afghanistan beat Pakistan t’other day. Warm but overcast apparently.

Me and our lass went on Monday. Sadly it didn't go on for very long due to an Afghanistan collapse in the first innings but still a good day out, albeit truncated. Somewhat improbably on a largely drab day, I received the worst sunburn I've ever had and am still suffering as a result.

I got sunburnt when I went - to the game v Pakistan that was rained off after 19 overs! Mind you we sat in the sunshine for hours while they tried to dry the pitch

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 30, 2019 9:38 am

And we're off! Being every bit as English as you'd expect.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 30, 2019 10:12 am

Any streams?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu May 30, 2019 10:26 am

dirty leeds wrote:Any streams?

Modbro has it all.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu May 30, 2019 11:23 am

I see the Plough was dismissed in typical fashion top edging to mid off.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 30, 2019 1:05 pm

Buggery bollocks

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 30, 2019 1:20 pm

OK-ish total for England. Let's see how Archer gets on.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Yeah, I'm groaning but that's really not bad. Can't expect Buttler / Root to cart a ton every game. Excellent captaincy from du Plessis.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 30, 2019 2:20 pm

Just seen the delicious stat that the batsman's reaction time for an Archer quickie is 0.47s.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Thu May 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Isa Guha has to be one of the best women’s sports commentators around. Knocks spots off those that do the football.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Tommy

The creekit

Postby Tommy » Thu May 30, 2019 2:32 pm

Agreed. Isa Guha and Ebony-Jewel Rainford-Brent are both ace.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 30, 2019 3:25 pm

De Kock's out.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Thu May 30, 2019 4:07 pm

Tommy wrote:Agreed. Isa Guha and Ebony-Jewel Rainford-Brent are both ace.

dirty leeds wrote:De Kock's out.

Can't blame you, they're both quite easy on the eye but I'd encourage you to restrain yourself in today's climate.

Return to “The Square Ball”