O/T Nerdy phone advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Ponte

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Ponte » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:38 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Tycipa wrote:When was the last time you switched it off completely?

Thought I did after the upgrade, but I've just done it again to see if it makes any odds.

Ponte wrote:What's the battery health %?

86%

Should be fairly good then, once it gets down to 80% it’s fucked.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Tommy

O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Tommy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 pm

I tend to do stuff like make sure apps aren’t using your location whilst closed or pushing notifications etc plus strategic use of Low Power Mode (add it to your Command Centre). Also I turn off stuff like Wi-fi, data or Bluetooth when not using them. Every little helps. Also put it on airplane mode to charge quicker when necessary.

I reckon I could get a couple of days out of the battery on the iPhone 11 Pro. At the moment I’m typically between 60-70% by the evening. Unheard of for an iPhone until now.

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:54 pm

Any tips for the best value mobile right now? Missus needs a replacement for her Sony Xperia 5 thats about 5 years old. I've been getting Moto G# for the kids over the last couple of years, but finally given up on them due to shit durability and ridiculously slow upgrades. Considered a Oneplus for her last year, but they're pretty expensive now, so thinking the next best option for her might be the new iPhone SE.

Any better options for ~500 quid?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:01 pm

jackos wrote:Any tips for the best value mobile right now? Missus needs a replacement for her Sony Xperia 5 thats about 5 years old. I've been getting Moto G# for the kids over the last couple of years, but finally given up on them due to shit durability and ridiculously slow upgrades. Considered a Oneplus for her last year, but they're pretty expensive now, so thinking the next best option for her might be the new iPhone SE.

Any better options for ~500 quid?

I''m planning on buying the daughter a Samsung Note 9 for about that price. She quite likes digital drawing so the pen is a plus point and it gets pretty good reviews.

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:I''m planning on buying the daughter a Samsung Note 9 for about that price. She quite likes digital drawing so the pen is a plus point and it gets pretty good reviews.

Really? New? The Note9 still costs ~£1000 here :?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:33 pm

jackos wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:I''m planning on buying the daughter a Samsung Note 9 for about that price. She quite likes digital drawing so the pen is a plus point and it gets pretty good reviews.

Really? New? The Note9 still costs ~£1000 here :?

EDIT: No idea why I can't paste amazon links. AO also had it at £550 a couple of days ago but not any more.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:31 am

Upgraded my old Moto G for a more recent model - the Moto G7 Power. £125. Great value. Nice phone. Loooooong battery life.

But... having checked its measurements carefully before ordering, so I knew it would fit inside my fancy White Stuff wallet [a present], I now discover those online measurements were a lie and it does not fit said fancy wallet. Grrr.

And secondly, having recorded my phone interviews for the mag using Boldbeast Recorder for years, I now discover that more recent versions of Android don't allow you to record both sides of the conversation in our territory. I could root it but I'd rather not, because security issues. All I can do is use ACR and set the conversation to speaker, which does give you an inferior quality recording of both sides of the call. Hate doing that. Means I have to do interviews in a room on me own.

Anyone any other suggestions for recording software that does actually work on Android 9?
I'm pretty sure the answer is there are none, but someone may know different.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:34 am

dirty leeds wrote:But... having checked its measurements carefully before ordering, so I knew it would fit inside my fancy White Stuff wallet [a present], I now discover those online measurements were a lie and it does not fit said fancy wallet. Grrr.

And secondly, having recorded my phone interviews for the mag using Boldbeast Recorder for years, I now discover that more recent versions of Android don't allow you to record both sides of the conversation in our territory. I could root it but I'd rather not, because security issues. All I can do is use ACR and set the conversation to speaker, which does give you an inferior quality recording of both sides of the call. Hate doing that. Means I have to do interviews in a room on me own.

Candidate for most inane whinge of the year.
:mrgreen:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:38 am

Vampire wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:But... having checked its measurements carefully before ordering, so I knew it would fit inside my fancy White Stuff wallet [a present], I now discover those online measurements were a lie and it does not fit said fancy wallet. Grrr.

You may think so, which is fine. But this is a 'nerdy phone advice' thread exactly made for such. It's an odd thing that a more up-to-date device cannot now do what my old steam-driven phone used to do. Recording interviews is a major part of my job of work. It matters to me.
So, erm... fuck off.
And go to bed: it's not Friday so I don't care what you're drinking.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:40 am

It's a shit solution, but could you record your voice separately using another app that runs concurrently with Boldbeast Recorder and combine the two pieces of audio in the computer? Also I assume these interviews are purely for transcription and not for broadcast?

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:41 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Vampire wrote:

You may think so, which is fine. But this is a 'nerdy phone advice' thread exactly made for such. It's an odd thing that a more up-to-date device cannot now do what my old steam-driven phone used to do. Recording interviews is a major part of my job of work. It matters to me.
So, erm... fuck off.

Only 9.45 pm and just watching your lot struggle to 5-87.

So, erm...fuck off yourself.

There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:44 am

S'funny, I can't be bothered with behind closed doors cricket. Don't know why as I'm addicted to the footie.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:44 am

Oh and given the weather forecast for yesterday/today, we should never have batted first. Did we lose the toss? I didn't even look.

Edit: no, we won it. Ridiculous decision.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:47 am

dirty leeds wrote:Oh and given the weather forecast for yesterday/today, we should never have batted first. Did we lose the toss? I didn't even look.

The Thug won the toss.

BTW - given “what matters” to you in a phone to support your job, why didn’t you check out the phone’s functionality before buying it?

Just wondering.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:49 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Vampire wrote:

So, erm... fuck off.

What? Talkin to Otters ?

Straight over my heed anorl Vamps....but you know who'll be along as soon as he gets back from Houston......and all of a sudden after trawlin t'net he'll be sound recordist advisor of the year !

Must dash.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:51 am

Vampire wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Oh and given the weather forecast for yesterday/today, we should never have batted first. Did we lose the toss? I didn't even look.

The Thug won the toss.

BTW - given “what matters” to you in a phone to support your job, why didn’t you check out the phone’s functionality before buying it?

Just wondering.

It isn't the phone - it's the whole of fucking Android.
It never occurred to me that the whole of Android had decided that they would disallow recording of phone conversations on any devices. They've allowed it for years. Now they don't. And I can't afford an iPhone.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:52 am

READ HIS FCKING POST AGAIN VAMPS YA DUMB MULE....It was just the size that mattered!
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:55 am

Just buy a bigger fkin wallet.

End of thread.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:56 am

kennyb41 wrote:What? Talkin to Otters ?

:thumbl:
Gotta love the internet.

Must dash.
:basket:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:58 am

kennyb41 wrote:READ HIS FCKING POST AGAIN VAMPS YA DUMB MULE....It was just the size that mattered!

No, G, it wasn't.

Return to “The Square Ball”