O/T Nerdy phone advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Vampire » Sat May 18, 2019 5:28 am

jackos wrote:
Vampire wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:In an unfamiliar city, using maps for directions to my location, my Pixel offered me that AR directions trial where the phone overlays walking directions (big arrows etc) over video view of what you're seeing.

It is the proverbial Dog's Bollocks. Entirely natural.


Really appreciate you keeping us all informed about everything you’re doing on this trip.

The air ticket upgrade, the taxi from the airport, the hotel breakfast, the boss flying all the way over for a meeting but “DGAF” that you told him you’d be missing it to watch the match instead :mrgreen: , and all these cool gadgets - the “$20K per seat licence app” showing how cutting edge you are and the “aggressively secured network” showing your importance.

Hooray for social media - enabling even socially awkward needy people to build their esteem big noting themselves to complete strangers over the internet.

:cheers:


Cone off it Vamps. We're not talking about MS 365. Given the area BW works in it's hardly surprising software licenses & subscriptions are expensive. I've no idea how cutting edge his lab or the software they use is because I've never seen or worked with anything like a 3D slicer and I don't know what a ELMER does, but am certain that if you're not cutting edge in cancer research you're kinda wasting everyone's time?

** just to be clear as well given the kindergarten level this discussion is at, it stopped being funny years ago. I have no idea what tools BW uses, I just know how fucking expensive this type of software is.


I was merely engaging in a bit of banter about the way needy folk in the Facebook age feel compelled to incessantly post about everything they’re doing (often in a way designed to big note themselves).

As you say, neither of us knows what he really does - but that was not the point of the banter.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby jackos » Sat May 18, 2019 5:36 am

Vampire wrote:As you say, neither of us knows exactly what he does - but that was not the point of the banter.


I know what he does, sadly I've been posting on TSB for over two decades so I know what a lot of ballers do. I'm all for banter, you're not daft, quiet the opposite, and you know your thing with BW stopped being banter a long time ago.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Vampire » Sat May 18, 2019 5:47 am

Jackos mate - I do find it odd the number of folks on here who will say something like that to me after I engage in mere banter, yet say nothing to him when he comes out with shit like this:

Blackwhite wrote:How's that violent Crystal meth epidemic going, cuntface? Your kids had a taste yet?


Blackwhite wrote:The Australian death toll (from Fukushima) will likely be horrendous too. Sweat dreams!.....Given the 15 year delay in peak cancer incidence after Chernobyl, I'd expect your kids to be among the adolescent cohort leading the charge to the top of the cancer medals table, wouldn't you Vamps?


Just a couple of examples - there’s many more - and I don’t recall you intervening then.

So, if folks on here aren’t going to be objective or even handed about their high horse lectures, treating him like some sort of “protected species” when he clearly crosses the line , whilst picking me up for little more than banter, then you’ll understand why I’m not going to take those lectures particularly seriously.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
Ponte
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Between a rock and a hard place.

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Ponte » Sat May 18, 2019 6:00 am

jackos wrote:
Vampire wrote: - the “$20K per seat licence app” showing how cutting edge you are and the “aggressively secured network” showing your importance.

:cheers:


Cone off it Vamps. We're not talking about MS 365. Given the area BW works in it's hardly surprising software licenses & subscriptions are expensive. I've no idea how cutting edge his lab or the software they use is because I've never seen or worked with anything like a 3D slicer and I don't know what a ELMER does, but am certain that if you're not cutting edge in cancer research you're kinda wasting everyone's time?

** just to be clear as well given the kindergarten level this discussion is at, it stopped being funny years ago. I have no idea what tools BW uses, I just know how fucking expensive this type of software is.

Fuck me, is he still doing this?
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby jackos » Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 am

Vampire wrote:So, if folks on here aren’t going to be objective or even handed about their high horse lectures, treating him like some sort of “protected species” when he clearly crosses the line , whilst picking me up for little more than banter, then you’ll understand why I’m not going to take those lectures particularly seriously.


I'm not trying to be condescending, I don't even read most of your "banter" with BW any more, I doubt 95% of posters on TSB do, and I hardly ever/never comment on the posts. Most of the time I leave you both to it. This time I just thought you were daft commenting on the software license cost. To me it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that the tools BW uses cost a lot money, its shit, it'd be great if software and medicines were free, but I guess development costs are ridiculous and the market isnt massive so...

I do read your other posts, especially about politics and the economy, and even if I don't agree with everything it's pretty clear that you know a lot more than me about the topic so they're always an interesting read. We are all Ballers and Leeds fans.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 am

Ponte wrote:Fuck me, is he still doing this?


Imagine being so dysfunctional that you are compelled to reply to every post by someone you claim to regard with contempt, and still believing you don’t have a problem. I guess they don’t have Mental Health Week over there.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Vampire » Sat May 18, 2019 9:03 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
Ponte wrote:Fuck me, is he still doing this?

Imagine being so dysfunctional that you are compelled to constantly comment on someone you claim to have had “on ignore” for ages and therefore (if so) can’t objectively judge what they are posting - and still believing you don’t have a problem.


Oooh there’s a surprise.....acolytes Oaf and Ponte turning up to wave their pitchforks at someone they both claim to have had “on ignore” for ages.

BTW love the irony so FTFY
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 am

Anyway, back on topic, the AR directions work really well.Google have built in some kind of image recognition to match Street view images in their database, or something like that. You hold the phone up to see buildings and it lays a dotted blue path to follow, but as soon as you set off it nags you to put the phone down and walk.

So you do, then now and again hold the phone up to check you're on track.

I remember the first phone maps being amazingly useful, I think this will take off too.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ballgirl
Joined: Sun May 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Ballgirl » Sat May 18, 2019 11:10 am

Vampire wrote:Jackos mate - I do find it odd the number of folks on here who will say something like that to me after I engage in mere banter, yet say nothing to him when he comes out with shit like this:

Blackwhite wrote:How's that violent Crystal meth epidemic going, cuntface? Your kids had a taste yet?


Blackwhite wrote:The Australian death toll (from Fukushima) will likely be horrendous too. Sweat dreams!.....Given the 15 year delay in peak cancer incidence after Chernobyl, I'd expect your kids to be among the adolescent cohort leading the charge to the top of the cancer medals table, wouldn't you Vamps?


Just a couple of examples - there’s many more - and I don’t recall you intervening then.

So, if folks on here aren’t going to be objective or even handed about their high horse lectures, treating him like some sort of “protected species” when he clearly crosses the line , whilst picking me up for little more than banter, then you’ll understand why I’m not going to take those lectures particularly seriously.


Bloody hell I know the Internet personalities of the two of you love to hate each other but frankly no excuse for such shocking abuse. That’s a completely sick pair of comments about kids - hopefully you are ashamed reading that back. And you wouldn’t say that to someone’s face only from the safety of the Internet - that’s a coward’s trick. My last comment on this tiresome bickering.

MOT
Prediction League Champion 2015-16

User avatar
LSD&2Es
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Surrey

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby LSD&2Es » Sat May 18, 2019 11:30 am

Blackwhite wrote:Anyway, back on topic, the AR directions work really well.Google have built in some kind of image recognition to match Street view images in their database, or something like that. You hold the phone up to see buildings and it lays a dotted blue path to follow, but as soon as you set off it nags you to put the phone down and walk.

So you do, then now and again hold the phone up to check you're on track.

I remember the first phone maps being amazingly useful, I think this will take off too.


I've had the AR Beta since about Feb and used it in London a fair bit. I like it a lot.

I drunkenly discovered it's shit when you try to demo it to a mate from inside your house nowhere near any landmarks though!
:roll:
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 18, 2019 11:37 am

Yeah, that's roughly what I found later, dicking around with it, and that made me guess it needed the street level view (that business of nagging you to point it at the building being a giveaway even for a thick cunt like me :lol: ).
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
OWETB
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 am
Location: Eating pig with the Prophet Mohammed

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby OWETB » Sat May 18, 2019 12:49 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I guess they don’t have Mental Health Week over there.


You might be surprised to learn that the whole mental health awareness movement did actually originate 'over there'

Mindo
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Mindo » Sat May 18, 2019 2:37 pm

As this thread is in vogue, can anyone recommend a cheap unlocked smartphone pls? I don't have much to spend, no more than £150. I'm on a cheap sim-only rolling deal with Voxi but the inbuilt demons in my 4 year old iPhone have come out and now it's almost unusable (battery life non-existent, screen temperamental, microphone knackered so I have to make every call on speaker). I'm told Motorola might be the answer in my price range, but I'm clueless so any input appreciated

User avatar
metalsmurf
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Littleborough, Gtr Scumland

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby metalsmurf » Sat May 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Mindo wrote:As this thread is in vogue, can anyone recommend a cheap unlocked smartphone pls? I don't have much to spend, no more than £150. I'm on a cheap sim-only rolling deal with Voxi but the inbuilt demons in my 4 year old iPhone have come out and now it's almost unusable (battery life non-existent, screen temperamental, microphone knackered so I have to make every call on speaker). I'm told Motorola might be the answer in my price range, but I'm clueless so any input appreciated

You'll get nowhere using this thread for it's intended purpose... :roll:
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby jackos » Sat May 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Mindo wrote:As this thread is in vogue, can anyone recommend a cheap unlocked smartphone pls? I don't have much to spend, no more than £150. I'm on a cheap sim-only rolling deal with Voxi but the inbuilt demons in my 4 year old iPhone have come out and now it's almost unusable (battery life non-existent, screen temperamental, microphone knackered so I have to make every call on speaker). I'm told Motorola might be the answer in my price range, but I'm clueless so any input appreciated


Motrola One's seem to be priced at around 200 quid in the UK, but you can pick one up for 145 according to pricerunner.

https://www.pricerunner.com/pl/1-470801 ... are-Prices

Someone local would have to comment on TecoBuy, I've no idea how reliable the site is.

It looks like you can pick up last years Moto G6 for around 150, or this years Moto G7 for close to 180. All my kids have Motos and we've never had any trouble with them, very nice piece of kit for the price. The Moto G6 my daughter has is perfect for her. I got my son a Motorola One instead of a Moto G6 because it uses the Android One OS which has less bloatware, receives upgrades quicker and for longer than.

It'll take you a few days to get used to Android if you've had iOS for years - but the differences aren't really that massive.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Tommy » Sat May 18, 2019 4:14 pm

I feel like you can get a useable Xiaomi with really impressive specs for around that price, both used and new.

Mr Reality
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Mr Reality » Sat May 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Mindo wrote:As this thread is in vogue, can anyone recommend a cheap unlocked smartphone pls? I don't have much to spend, no more than £150. I'm on a cheap sim-only rolling deal with Voxi but the inbuilt demons in my 4 year old iPhone have come out and now it's almost unusable (battery life non-existent, screen temperamental, microphone knackered so I have to make every call on speaker). I'm told Motorola might be the answer in my price range, but I'm clueless so any input appreciated


I have a Moto g7 think was 180 excellent bit of kit compared all the tech reviews suggest it's the best budget smart phone.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Blackwhite » Sat May 18, 2019 5:24 pm

The Motos have been very good value, wife has one. Only note I'd add is I was never happy with the camera, whenever she snapped something and sent it quality was not great. Not sure if this is important to you or not...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat May 18, 2019 5:41 pm

I've just ordered a Samsung a40 directly from Samsung, £219 but with £40 cashback. Still above your £150 though.

Mindo
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Mindo » Sat May 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks all, I will do some research on those suggestions :thumbl:


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests