O/T Nerdy phone advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
FER

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby FER » Fri May 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Blackwhite wrote:If only there were some way to post Twitter threads... :mrgreen:

Wouldn't know, seriously I don't. I don't access Twitter on the work lappy so ...
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri May 18, 2018 6:17 pm

FER wrote:
Wouldn't know, seriously I don't. I don't access Twitter on the work lappy so ...

It's actually easier to copy a Twitter url from your phone, but anyone who is remotely surprised by the info.on his thread must be a real technophobe AND have lived in a cave for the past 3 years

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:30 am

Just come across a handy tip: if you create a contact called ‘fucking fuck’ on your phone, the ducking autocorrect problem vanishes.

topbin

Postby topbin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:18 am

Does anyone use any of those power packs for phones when you’re away from power for a while?
We could do with one with a fair bit of power - probably 3 devices for a couple of charges each?

I’ve looked around online and basically they all look shit.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:22 am

Yeah, I always carry one even though I don't yet have a usb c cable for it, cos I'm an idiot.

They're very useful and have saved me/others loads. Buy a decent brand with enough capacity for your needs and drain/charge it as fully as possible each cycle.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:05 am

topbin wrote:Does anyone use any of those power packs for phones when you’re away from power for a while?
We could do with one with a fair bit of power - probably 3 devices for a couple of charges each?

I’ve looked around online and basically they all look shit.

Mine will give 4 full charges for an i-phone, used it last night to charge an i pad from dead and it used 3 (there are 4 indicator lights on it). It has 2 usb outlets, had it for a couple of years and its still going strong. Its by Anker, got it on amazon. The new one is about £23.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Tommy

O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Tommy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:10 am

I’ve got frankly loads of them (I’ve been constantly on call for roughly a decade now) and they’re all much of a muchness. Most of mine are EasyAcc and they’ve proved to be cheap/reliable despite constant usage. Best thing to do is look for one on offer on Amazon with decent reviews and if it’s a dud, send it back.

I’ve got three in circulation at any given time - pocket sized 6400mAh for my phone, a larger 10000mAh for my iPad & a frankly absurd 20000mAh brick for if shit goes really bad (or more likely to lend other people when they inevitably ask to borrow one of the other two). Unless there’s an improbable improvement in battery life I suspect I’ll be lugging them around forever.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:26 am

i had one similar to this for my holiday last year which worked pretty well for charging phones....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/24000mAh-OLEBR-portable-capacity-Devices-Yellow-Yellow-Black/dp/B0721JNMWB
but left it charging in the sun on the top of my car, which was fine until i forgot about it and drove off.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:22 am

There's been lots of speculation on it, and IIRC some discussion here, but the truth is now very clear: but thankfully they've only been doing it in Italy, eh kids.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello Phone Nerds. I need an explanation, please.

I have an old-ish Motorola/Android phone which is still all I require. [I'm not really interested in phones and all their bells and whistles etc.]
A long while ago I set the wallpaper as a pic of my three kids and have always been happy to see 'em on there when I bring it to life. Maybe a couple of months ago, however, when I pressed the button what came up was a cropped shot of part of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On sleeve, to which my reaction was [1] That's cool and [2] How the fuck did that get there?
I didn't do it.
I assumed it was either something to do with the interweb/cookies or alternatively a family member/friend might have sent it to me. I soon learned from my son that it was actually a Lockscreen not a Wallpaper [but he didn't send it]. Also, I don't have an option to set a Lockscreen in my settings - only a Wallpaper.
Anyway, it stayed around for a while - a few weeks - and then one day disappeared. About three weeks later it came back and then, within a couple of days, disappeared again.
What the fuck's going on? As Marvin might have said.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Not a clue. Suggest you kill it with fire. It's possessed.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Perhaps I should add, when it came up as the Lockscreen, as soon as I swiped and put in my unlocking code, the old Wallpaper kids pic came up as normal. It didn't replace it entirely, just added to it.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Go to your settings and choose the kids pic as the lockscreen image? It's under security I think maybe if you're missing it?

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Back your phone up, just in case it decides to die.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Go to your settings and choose the kids pic as the lockscreen image? It's under security I think maybe if you're missing it?

Nope, that doesn't work. I thought you might be right but there is no option under security to do anything with the lock apart from set it as a number or pattern. Fuck all about screens.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:36 pm

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:18 pm

Blackwhite wrote:try dis mebbe?

Thanks mate, that's the one I first tried. None of the methods bring up the choices they say should come up. I can easily set new Wallpaper but not the Lockscreen doo-dah. Not to worry, I'm going with my own downloaded Marvin for now. The kids can fuck off.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 17, 2019 1:03 pm

In an unfamiliar city, using maps for directions to my location, my Pixel offered me that AR directions trial where the phone overlays walking directions (big arrows etc) over video view of what you're seeing.

It is the proverbial Dog's Bollocks. Entirely natural.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 am

Blackwhite wrote:In an unfamiliar city, using maps for directions to my location, my Pixel offered me that AR directions trial where the phone overlays walking directions (big arrows etc) over video view of what you're seeing.

It is the proverbial Dog's Bollocks. Entirely natural.

Really appreciate you keeping us all informed about everything you’re doing on this trip.

The air ticket upgrade, the taxi from the airport, the hotel breakfast, the boss flying all the way over for a meeting but “DGAF” that you told him you’d be missing it to watch the match instead :mrgreen: , and all these cool gadgets - the “$20K per seat licence app” showing how cutting edge you are and the “aggressively secured network” showing your importance.

Hooray for social media - enabling even socially awkward needy people to build their esteem big noting themselves to complete strangers over the internet.

:cheers:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sat May 18, 2019 5:21 am

Vampire wrote: - the “$20K per seat licence app” showing how cutting edge you are and the “aggressively secured network” showing your importance.

:cheers:

Cone off it Vamps. We're not talking about MS 365. Given the area BW works in it's hardly surprising software licenses & subscriptions are expensive. I've no idea how cutting edge his lab or the software they use is because I've never seen or worked with anything like a 3D slicer and I don't know what a ELMER does, but am certain that if you're not cutting edge in cancer research you're kinda wasting everyone's time?

** just to be clear as well given the kindergarten level this discussion is at, it stopped being funny years ago. I have no idea what tools BW uses, I just know how fucking expensive this type of software is.

Return to “The Square Ball”