O/T Nerdy phone advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:46 am

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:25 pm

OWETB wrote:I looked at a Oneplus a month or so ago, they're fucking massive, might as well carry a tablet round with you.

Funny thing, my use of the phone for actual phone call/text use is about 20%. The rest is for media, downloading films/ TV shows & music, the bigger the better.
Andymac

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:32 pm

OWETB wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:my old Nexus was starting to need a top up if I wanted 4h of screen time

This is where I am with my Nexus, been a brilliant phone but I will be looking around for something new in a few months.

Did any of you get the one+ and would you recommend? I was hoping to hold off for a few months before committing but my old faithful Nexus is really being a grumpy old cunt - not beeping for a message, ringing for a call and zero vibrations. I know I said this phone was a bit big but I think I will have to bite the bullet sooner rather than later.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:07 am

My lad has had 2 One+ (1 & 3 I think) and was very pleased with both of them.

The only real issue I see for you going from Nexus is moving from Stock Android to Oxygen OS might be a bit jarring. The hardware is pretty much unbeatable at that price point.
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 am

Pixel 2s are cheaper just now, there really isn't a huge amount in it if you consider storage costs on photos... And the awesome upgrade and security updates.
Just a thought in case B@stard is still wavering and wants stock Oreo.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:04 pm

One of my clients has a load of O2 shops as franchises, I spoke with her today and she can sort me out with a 50% discount on air time but not a handset - this is dictated by O2. Having air times means a contract, don't want one of those cunts.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:15 am

Samsung S9+ arrives today - proper excited I am!

Mostly I'm looking forward to sending my Apple loving mate an AR emoji and blow his tiny sheep mind! :roll:

Well, that and having a phone that actually fucking works all day!

topbin

Postby topbin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:48 am

LSD&2Es wrote:Samsung S9+ arrives today - proper excited I am!

Mostly I'm looking forward to sending my Apple loving mate an AR emoji and blow his tiny sheep mind! :roll:

:bounce:

I've never understood what the fucking point is of those AR emojis/Animojis is. I'm a sheep (baa) and have the iPhone X but have basically sent one of a poo to my Mum when she wanted to see how it worked and can't think of a single reason I'd want to send another one.

I do find it weird the way people behave in the Apple v Google debate - essentially people get incredibly used to operating software and that is by far the primary reason OS ownership is so sticky, but I don't get why it's a "thing". They're both fairly disgusting companies (and, with a Samsung S9+ you get not only the disgusting google company but also the disgusting Samsung company on top, hooray!). Is one marginally less disgusting than the other? Who knows. It's 99% PR anyway.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:03 pm

topbin wrote:I do find it weird the way people behave in the Apple v Google debate - essentially people get incredibly used to operating software and that is by far the primary reason OS ownership is so sticky, but I don't get why it's a "thing". They're both fairly disgusting companies (and, with a Samsung S9+ you get not only the disgusting google company but also the disgusting Samsung company on top, hooray!). Is one marginally less disgusting than the other? Who knows. It's 99% PR anyway.

+1.

It's like arguing in favour of Starbucks over Costa in a world without indie coffee shops. It's all (sadly unavoidable) corporate guff.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:37 pm

topbin wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:Samsung S9+ arrives today - proper excited I am!

:bounce:

I've never understood what the fucking point is of those AR emojis/Animojis is. I'm a sheep (baa) and have the iPhone X but have basically sent one of a poo to my Mum when she wanted to see how it worked and can't think of a single reason I'd want to send another one.

I do find it weird the way people behave in the Apple v Google debate - essentially people get incredibly used to operating software and that is by far the primary reason OS ownership is so sticky, but I don't get why it's a "thing". They're both fairly disgusting companies (and, with a Samsung S9+ you get not only the disgusting google company but also the disgusting Samsung company on top, hooray!). Is one marginally less disgusting than the other? Who knows. It's 99% PR anyway.

The AR emoji thing is more like Bitmoji than the Animoji, you can use them in different apps, unlike the Apple ones that have to remain in their ecosystem.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:57 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
topbin wrote:I do find it weird the way people behave in the Apple v Google debate - essentially people get incredibly used to operating software and that is by far the primary reason OS ownership is so sticky, but I don't get why it's a "thing". They're both fairly disgusting companies (and, with a Samsung S9+ you get not only the disgusting google company but also the disgusting Samsung company on top, hooray!). Is one marginally less disgusting than the other? Who knows. It's 99% PR anyway.

+1.

It's like arguing in favour of Starbucks over Costa in a world without indie coffee shops. It's all (sadly unavoidable) corporate guff.

I don't think it's about the OS or UX really, it's much more about the ecosystem.

Did Samsung kick sand in your face on the beach once or something Topbin? :scratch:

Not sure that analogy works Eric. Starbucks and Costa both make shit coffee.....

FER

Postby FER » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:12 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:The AR emoji thing is more like Bitmoji than the Animoji, you can use them in different apps, unlike the Apple ones that have to remain in their ecosystem.

Am I getting really old, because that sentence means absolutely nothing to me whatsoever! :scratch: It's one massive DAFUQ? moment for me.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:17 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:Not sure that analogy works Eric. Starbucks and Costa both make shit coffee.....

Kinda makes my point really. All available phones are shit, relative to what a useful phone could be. All OSs are shit, glitchy as fuck; all batteries are crap. We get sold on dumbass curved edge screens and animojis.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:11 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:Not sure that analogy works Eric. Starbucks and Costa both make shit coffee.....

Kinda makes my point really. All available phones are shit, relative to what a useful phone could be. All OSs are shit, glitchy as fuck; all batteries are crap. We get sold on dumbass curved edge screens and animojis.

Not quite true IMO, Eric. I'm as stock as possible and it's converging on fantastic. What you don't like can be changed, in both systems AFAIK. Horses*/courses.

*baaa

topbin

Postby topbin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Ha - quite an emotional response LSD - kinda the point I was making.

Samsung’s disgusting company credentials:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... SApp_Other

Oh, and their phones set on fire a lot a bit ago.

I think Eric’s wrong on the Costa v Starbucks thing though. The problem with mobiles at the moment is that they’re absolutely excellent. They all look the same because we’re completely at the top of what phones can do. They all do 99% they same things, with the same apps, and the more you pay the quicker they are and the better the cameras are.

There’s nothing to distinguish between any of them except for whatever nonsense you said about the avatar emojis and other similar fripperies.

Ecosystem is a very good point though. There’s no way I’d move to a Samsung phone because I have an Apple Watch, AirPods, iPad, all the wife’s stuff is also on iOS of varying descriptions. It doesn’t mean that standalone I would prefer an iPhone over a Samsung, but considering they’re effectively all the same, why would I bother finding out?

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:16 am

topbin wrote:Ha - quite an emotional response LSD....

Not sure how you got that from my post, you're the one calling out your disgust of these companies, all I wanted to do was see the look on my usually very smug Apple loving friends face when he his £1100 phone looks a bit inferior next to the competition.

Just a bit of fun between mates, and as I originally said, really I just want a phone that works all day.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am

FER wrote:Am I getting really old.....

Yes.... :wink:

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:24 am

I like Apple stuff, mainly cos I’m used to it. I had blackberry until about 5 years ago. Got an iPhone from work and then got an iPad and Apple Watch. I’m used to the OS so will likely stick with them. Lad at work got a new Samsung, looks very nice.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 am

So, er, phones are universally excellent, there’s now little of substance to make one generation better than the last, but we still have to upgrade once every couple of years.

Sounds legit.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:25 am

Don't be a silly tool. "All available phones are shit, relative to what a useful phone could be. All OSs are shit, glitchy as fuck; all batteries are crap" refuted does not equal ^^^ that.

Progress is a wonderful thing, and the latest OS versions are doing smart stuff to eke out performance and battery life& longevity. Physics is physics though Eric, as well you know.

Get a decent phone without any bloat, i.e. Fuck Samsung.

Return to “The Square Ball”