O/T Nerdy phone advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:19 pm

Due for an upgrade on O2. I really want decent multimedia access. I could get an iPhone with unlimited internet and more minutes and texts than I'll ever use for £35/month. I'd appreciate what is, in effect, a free iPod since I keep all my music on iTunes on a Mac at home but the camera is shit. I use the brilliant camera on my current Sony for work quite a lot.

I could also get a Blackberry on the same deal with a better camera but far less slick internet and music.

Anyone got either of these (or owt else similar) and would recommend one way or t'other?

thechubbyone

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby thechubbyone » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Have you looked at the nokia n96? The internet won't be anything like as nice as on the iphone, but it still has 16gb storage, a standard 3.5mm headphone jack for music, decent video playback and sat nav.

ddwhite

Postby ddwhite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:49 pm

no real idea but if you're already clued up with itunes get the iphone its bound to be great and the camera is fine for work, if not a little too bulky to carry round
Here we go..

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 pm

thechubbyone wrote:Have you looked at the nokia n96? The internet won't be anything like as nice as on the iphone, but it still has 16gb storage, a standard 3.5mm headphone jack for music, decent video playback and sat nav.

If thats the option, may as well wait for the N97 in a few months.

I'm long overdue an upgrade, I've got an N95 on an O2 contract, battery life isn't great and the tarrif doesn't give me unlimited internet so stunts what I use it for but as the iphone doesn't do MMS its still the best phone around. I'll be taking a serious look at the N97 though.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Phil LUFC wrote: and the tarrif doesn't give me unlimited internet

That's the bugger. I'm looking for an unlimited (or very high download) net deal, and I can't find that with the Nokia phones.

Slight side issue, but I've been starting to think I'll get the iPhone and then some little 3Mb cheap camera that I can keep in a pocket all the time. But a decent quality one just does not exist. The thing that annoys me about technological development is this assumption that because technology can get better, it must go to the limit all the time. I don't want or need a fucking 12Mb camera. And why don't all cheap digital cameras have bluetooth as standard?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:58 pm

i got an unlimited orange data plan with 600 mins and unlimited txts for 30 notes with an htc touch diamond around the time the first iphone was out. they pulled the offer sharpish but offer similar deals from time to time. keep your eyes peeled. n97 looks good enough though... but mostly loving the htc.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote: and the tarrif doesn't give me unlimited internet

That's the bugger. I'm looking for an unlimited (or very high download) net deal, and I can't find that with the Nokia phones.

Slight side issue, but I've been starting to think I'll get the iPhone and then some little 3Mb cheap camera that I can keep in a pocket all the time. But a decent quality one just does not exist. The thing that annoys me about technological development is this assumption that because technology can get better, it must go to the limit all the time. I don't want or need a fucking 12Mb camera. And why don't all cheap digital cameras have bluetooth as standard?

How much are you willing to pay on your contract? Mine is £25 a month, I'd need to go to the £35 contract to choose unlimited web as an alternative to free O2 to O2 mins. That makes the iphone £30 contract look appealing, but as mush as I like all the fancy gizmo's, I do actually use MMS quite a bit, almost as often as the camera infact.

If you consider £35 a month reasonable based on how much usage you get from your phone, you could get this:
Nokia N95 8GB (good phone, been using the previous version for a few years now, since it came out, batterly life isn't great but it has sat nav, 5MP camera, plenty of memory card space for MP3s etc.)
£35 contract with 600 mins and 1000 texts and unlimited web bolt on

I'm personally tepted by that deal but I'm most likely to wait until the N97 is out and down to an affordable price, but I do recoemmend the N95 and its now available free.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Blackwhite wrote:i got an unlimited orange data plan with 600 mins and unlimited txts for 30 notes with an htc touch diamond around the time the first iphone was out. they pulled the offer sharpish but offer similar deals from time to time. keep your eyes peeled. n97 looks good enough though... but mostly loving the htc.

Heard of 'em but never seen one. Quite curious about them actually.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:21 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:That's the bugger. I'm looking for an unlimited (or very high download) net deal, and I can't find that with the Nokia phones.

How come? My experience of mobile phone providers (I work for one, though not in customer services/sales) is that you use choose a tariff and then pick a phone?? When I upgraded with O2 they were giving away a free bolt on with each tariff over a certain price. Unlimited internet/texts/minutes etc.

eric olthwaite wrote:Slight side issue, but I've been starting to think I'll get the iPhone and then some little 3Mb cheap camera that I can keep in a pocket all the time. But a decent quality one just does not exist. The thing that annoys me about technological development is this assumption that because technology can get better, it must go to the limit all the time. I don't want or need a fucking 12Mb camera. And why don't all cheap digital cameras have bluetooth as standard?

Have to admit I have found myself dazzled by the big MP cameras on mobile phones (my current phone is the C905, 8MP no less) but to be quite honest if all your doing is taking pics and posting them on the internet/sending them by email you should never need anything more than a 3.2MP camera. Might be worth considering that if that's one of your specs.

As for the original question I have to admit I don't know an awful lot about the iphone but from what I hear it's a generally decent bit of kit; slick, reliable, etc. I deal with Blackberry's all day, every day and have to say if you email a lot then they're pretty damn good and not half as complicated as you'd imagine. RIM (manufacturers of Blackberrys) have even brought out an application store now to compete with Apple. Best Blackberry on the market is the Blackberry Bold.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Phil LUFC wrote: I do actually use MMS quite a bit, almost as often as the camera infact.

I'm given to understand that:

a) There's a free App that sorts the MMS thing out
b) Apple are lobbing out a software upgrade in July which will sort this, and a few of the other software quibbles, out.

So I was less worried about that.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:41 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote: I do actually use MMS quite a bit, almost as often as the camera infact.

I'm given to understand that:

a) There's a free App that sorts the MMS thing out
b) Apple are lobbing out a software upgrade in July which will sort this, and a few of the other software quibbles, out.

So I was less worried about that.

True enough, it just got me into the mind set that if apple didn't put that in from the off, what else have they missed? I'm led to believe its a fantastic device but not much of a phone. Very much the pocket PC/music device with a phone bolted in rather than a phone with some good extra features.

Each to their own obviously, but the biggest draw for the iphone for me is the fact that O2's iphone contracts look quite good. If I could have the lowest end iphone contract but with a nokia N97 I'd be looking to pre-order as soon as they come out. Actually, I probably wouldn't as they'll want a silly amount for the phone for a while!

If I didn't already have an N95, I'd have taken my upgrade right late last year and had the N95 8GB but it just doesn't sem like an upgrade so I chose to wait for a better phone.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:59 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Heard of 'em but never seen one. Quite curious about them actually.

shame i cant just slide it over to you, but check out youtube and wmpoweruser vids and reviews of this, the touch hd and the diamond 2 - both newer.

theres pros and cons cf. the iphone, but the key for me wss the freedom to fuck with the device however i like; the iphone is locked down hard to apples revenue stream and they are satan, obviously :lol:

dont forget voIP in your considerations, a real boon that our californian brethren might rob you of, not sure. works fine here...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:00 am

So.

I went for this new LG Arena thing from Carphone Warehouse. It is a blatant iPhone rip-off but with 5mp camera etc. Tried it out last night and the touch screen response time and internet speed is not a patch on the iPhone. It just is not 'slick'. Rang the fuckers up today to exchange it for an iPhone but, because I made one call and sent one text, the exchange is invalid. I'm stuck with it. Cunty fucking fuckshunt.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:02 am

I've got a great phone, I can make and receive phone calls on it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:15 am

B@stard wrote:I've got a great phone, I can make and receive phone calls on it.

You use a telephone to speak to people? What do you think this is? Fucking 1986?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:01 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:So.

I went for this new LG Arena thing from Carphone Warehouse. It is a blatant iPhone rip-off but with 5mp camera etc. Tried it out last night and the touch screen response time and internet speed is not a patch on the iPhone. It just is not 'slick'. Rang the fuckers up today to exchange it for an iPhone but, because I made one call and sent one text, the exchange is invalid. I'm stuck with it. Cunty fucking fuckshunt.

How long's the contract?

If its longer than a year it might be worth selling the thing and buying sim free. What are they ebaying for?

Not tried the Arena but I'm unsurprised you don't like it - not seen much from LG I like (the viewty for instance - ecchhh.)

NE1

Postby NE1 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:16 pm

B@stard wrote:I've got a great phone, I can make and receive phone calls on it.

I'm with him ^^, but I can also send text messages :wink:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Here we go again.

eric olthwaite wrote:So.

Finally, my contract is up and I can rid m'self of this shitty piece of shit.

Looking around, I seem to be able to get an 'old' (3G) iPhone with all the text / minutes / data I'd need - phone free and 25/30 a month contract. I could get a similar deal on some sort of Sony X10 but with a free Xbox lobbed in, which would be handy for the lad for Xmas. Always used to have Sonys and liked them, although the hardware was sometimes a bit dodge. I've never seen owt as good as Sony mobile camera software anywhere.

My daughters have an HTC and a Blackberry between them, and I can't say's I like either, or t'wife's Nokia.

So just wondered whether anyone had one of the Sony X10s, or indeed any Android phone, and what they thought? Are Android apps comparable with iPhone apps?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Colleague here has an X10. Looks OK, but not for me. Good camera though, as far as I've seen so far (as you expect).

Some apps for Android look like shit compared to iPhone, others like Layar look fine. Depends what you want to use.

I have you down as wanting to use this extensively.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I have you down as wanting to use this extensively.

There's the thing, innit?

There's a very few apps that I would find immeasurably handy: train times; mapping /satnav stuff; live scores etc. But, to be honest, you can get all that stuff on the mobile web (if a little clunkily), and I do fear getting sucked into a world of utter shite.

Return to “The Square Ball”