O/T The Official Squareball Parenting Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Devi

Re: O/T The Official Squareball Parenting Thread

Postby Devi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:37 pm

Blackwhite wrote:A lot of others are in the hole for the student accommodation thing, don't forget. All that debt needs servicing...

I missed this. Has there been any announcement on Student Loans, fees and accommodation charges etc? Two kids at uni for a term that doesn't happen is going to bite hard if we have to pay the fees but don't get the support...
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:25 pm

Devi wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:A lot of others are in the hole for the student accommodation thing, don't forget. All that debt needs servicing...

I missed this. Has there been any announcement on Student Loans, fees and accommodation charges etc? Two kids at uni for a term that doesn't happen is going to bite hard if we have to pay the fees but don't get the support...

All I could find quickly while I ate my lunch (I know, I know) was this in the FT.

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. LIKE I FUCKING CARE Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/21928dda-e2f ... 2831983025

The Student Loans Company says that university students will still receive their loans for living costs at the beginning of the summer term as scheduled, and their tuition fees will be paid directly — regardless of whether their university or provider has made alternative arrangements for teaching.

Universities UK says that while it understands that missed teaching time was “unsettling” for students, universities moving teaching online “does not amount to a closure”. However, many students will have left their campus and student accommodation and returned home to their parents. 

This week, Unite, the UK’s largest student accommodation provider, said it would allow students to leave their tenancies early. They will not have to pay their rent for the final term if they tell Unite that they have left or are leaving by 5pm on April 10.

Unite charges an average weekly rent for en suite accommodation of £138 outside London and £221 in the capital.

Unite says: “We are also very conscious that some students may need to extend their stay with us, for example, international students who may not be able to return home due to travel restrictions or those estranged from family without the traditional support network in place. For these students, we will do everything we can to support them beyond their tenancy period at no extra charge.”

University-owned halls of residence may be more willing to issue a partial refund if students have moved out, but private student landlords are less likely to offer any leniency. Many parents will be obliged to keep paying if they offered to act as rental guarantors. 

No idea about fees, but if they're offering distance learning and your kid doesn't defer, I presume you're on the hook.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:35 pm

I like this bit:

The Student Loans Company says that university students will still receive their loans for living costs at the beginning of the summer term as scheduled, and their tuition fees will be paid directly — regardless of whether their university or provider has made alternative arrangements for teaching.
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Yes, the degree of care we instinctively associate with they cunts.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:05 pm

So we’ve got a nephew at De Montfort in Leicester, just finished first year. He’s just been told they’re going to do the first term next year online, then hopefully start back on site at Christmas. They’ve been given the option of deferring a year if they don’t fancy that.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:So we’ve got a nephew at De Montfort in Leicester, just finished first year. He’s just been told they’re going to do the first term next year online, then hopefully start back on site at Christmas. They’ve been given the option of deferring a year if they don’t fancy that.

i'm busy teaching from my dining room. our school has even administered exams. the system is obviously not bulletproof, but the kids have 24 hours to do the paper, photo their exam paper answers using microsoft office lens and send them in as pdf's. i then add ticks, crosses and comments and a grade. as far as internal exams go it's purposeful at least.

at the moment i can teach the whole class and using various software programs check they're doing some questions, it's maths so these programs do the marking and the kids are doing some sort of learning. there are benefits in terms of being able to mute kids and they can't distract each other much, there are drawbacks. they're talking about starting schools back and social distancing so only some of the kids are taught some of the time, which i don't think would be as efficient as what we are currently doing.

coming back to your point, in a university setting for most subjects i reckon it's feasible.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:20 pm

Quiffy wrote:coming back to your point, in a university setting for most subjects i reckon it's feasible.

Without questioning your undoubtedly masterful skills as a schoolteacher, I would politely suggest that degree teaching is a lot more dependent on dialogue and discussion rather than straightforward teaching > learning, so I’m not so sure.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:49 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:coming back to your point, in a university setting for most subjects i reckon it's feasible.

Without questioning your undoubtedly masterful skills as a schoolteacher, I would politely suggest that degree teaching is a lot more dependent on dialogue and discussion rather than straightforward teaching > learning, so I’m not so sure.

my degree in psychology and (fucking) sociology was mostly transmitted by lectures. you were then meant to read around these and do the odd essay. there weren't so many tutorials and they could easily be done via google meet or zoom. i dunno what the situation is with accessing library books and journal articles from home nowadays, but i'd imagine the library isn't quite as essential. that wass where you did the majority of your real learning. the main thing you're missing out on is all the other stuff you get from being away from home.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 01, 2020 1:33 pm

Mildly amusing scene: I'm sat upstairs working, hear the front door go, glance out the window and see son scuttling off round the street corner in the rain. Two minutes later he's back, walking just behind a bloke I don't recognise who disappears into the flats opposite.

I text him: 'That your dealer? I hope you're considering social distancing'

Him: 'Yeah, he wears a mask and gloves and I washed my hands'

I mean, it's good to know that local (very local) independent businesses continue to prosper and that they're taking appropriate measures to suit the times.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Experimenting with no contact delivery systems next.*

*already :mrgreen:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 01, 2020 1:39 pm

Apparently it's fairly poor low grade gear, but you have to compromise to roll with the times.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 01, 2020 1:41 pm

I have no idea what the state of hi-grade supply is like round here currently: given the number of gardens probably still pretty good.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Fri May 01, 2020 2:38 pm

We live a mile from the beach. We take our little lad there whos nearly 3 years old maybe 3 or 4 times a week during lockdown so he can have a good run around and be well away from anyone. He's got Autism and has never once played or showed an interest with playing with another child. Until today and we had to stop him due to social distancing.

Fucking gutted beyond words

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 01, 2020 2:41 pm

That's hard.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri May 01, 2020 2:41 pm

AndyPaul wrote:We live a mile from the beach. We take our little lad there whos nearly 3 years old maybe 3 or 4 times a week during lockdown so he can have a good run around and be well away from anyone. He's got Autism and has never once played or showed an interest with playing with another child. Until today and we had to stop him due to social distancing.

Ah, mate, that's awful. So difficult to explain stuff to them at that age even without the autism.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Fri May 01, 2020 3:12 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Mildly amusing scene: I'm sat upstairs working, hear the front door go, glance out the window and see son scuttling off round the street corner in the rain. Two minutes later he's back, walking just behind a bloke I don't recognise who disappears into the flats opposite.

I text him: 'That your dealer? I hope you're considering social distancing'

Him: 'Yeah, he wears a mask and gloves and I washed my hands'

I mean, it's good to know that local (very local) independent businesses continue to prosper and that they're taking appropriate measures to suit the times.

Same at ours, until today, we are now officially a childless (well in the same house) couple. Going to be very quiet around here.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 01, 2020 6:02 pm

AndyPaul wrote:We live a mile from the beach. We take our little lad there whos nearly 3 years old maybe 3 or 4 times a week during lockdown so he can have a good run around and be well away from anyone. He's got Autism and has never once played or showed an interest with playing with another child. Until today and we had to stop him due to social distancing.

that's the saddest thing i've read this week. :(

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 01, 2020 7:13 pm

Next door have a lad who must be 9 or 10 with fairly severe ADHD. They keeping chucking notes through the door apologising because of the noise; he’s clearly climbing the walls - literally. It doesn’t bother us in the slightest, they’re miles from the worst neighbours we’ve had, but it must be awful for all of them. We’d love to help but what can we do? It’s not like our kids can take him down the park for a kickabout or anything. Loads of stuff like this must be really hard right now.
HM Collector Of Parcels

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Sun May 03, 2020 9:07 am

Son, 23 is moving into a house that we own just down the road. (1/2 mile). Has spent this week docorating, replacing bath, shower and stuff. He's been sleeping there on a big armchair, his bed is at ours still. Saturday he moves his bed there, then arrives back at ours late last night and I find him asleep on his bedroom floor this morning. WTF says I, I've ran out of data says he. Fucking kids :shake1:
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 03, 2020 9:13 am

metalsmurf wrote:Son, 23 is moving into a house that we own just down the road. (1/2 mile). Has spent this week docorating, replacing bath, shower and stuff. He's been sleeping there on a big armchair, his bed is at ours still. Saturday he moves his bed there, then arrives back at ours late last night and I find him asleep on his bedroom floor this morning. WTF says I, I've ran out of data says he. Fucking kids :shake1:

:mrgreen:

Return to “The Square Ball”