O/T The Official Squareball Parenting Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: O/T The Official Squareball Parenting Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 20, 2020 3:31 pm

Quiffy wrote:the wife* was saying that cambridge(?) uni have committed to doing online learning until september 2021, which could well be a precedent.

(*i wasn't fully listening)

Sort of. They said they’re still doing small group seminars, but that lectures will be online only til September 2021, or until they decide otherwise.
HM Collector Of Parcels

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 21, 2020 4:44 pm

My son's always been a lazy bastard throughout the education system, with a highly developed aptitude for identifying the absolute bare minimum of effort required to 'get away with it' at every opportunity.

(Honestly, can't imagine where he gets this from)

He's just completed his Art Foundation year, and when lockdown started the college announced that the final project they'd just started would not be marked and that they'd mark the rest of the year instead. The basis for this was that whilst some kids have access to good computers, software and materials as well as workspace, others were highly dependent on the college studios and it wouldn't be reasonable to mark the last project as a contribution to the year without a level playing field.

They also asked people to submit selected work for an online exhibition in lieu of the end of year show, and said that if anyone wanted to work on the final project they'd help, online. So obviously 90% of the kids said, 'Right, fuck it, I'm done'. Not so son, who suddenly started working hard and producing loads of work :?

I think maybe the realisation that he's doing this for himself and not the college changed things. Maybe he's even turned a corner?

Anyway he sent it all in today. A positive Miley impact that wouldn't have happened otherwise. :cheers:
HM Collector Of Parcels

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu May 21, 2020 4:50 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:My son's always been a lazy bastard throughout the education system, with a highly developed aptitude for identifying the absolute bare minimum of effort required to 'get away with it' at every opportunity.

He's just completed his Art Foundation year, and when lockdown started the college announced that the final project they'd just started would not be marked and that they'd mark the rest of the year instead. The basis for this was that whilst some kids have access to good computers, software and materials as well as workspace, others were highly dependent on the college studios and it wouldn't be reasonable to mark the last project as a contribution to the year without a level playing field.

They also asked people to submit selected work for an online exhibition in lieu of the end of year show, and said that if anyone wanted to work on the final project they'd help, online. So obviously 90% of the kids said, 'Right, fuck it, I'm done'. Not so son, who suddenly started working hard and producing loads of work :?

I think maybe the realisation that he's doing this for himself and not the college changed things. Maybe he's even turned a corner?

Anyway he sent it all in today. A positive Miley impact that wouldn't have happened otherwise. :cheers:

It he thinks the rest of the work was shit and hopes this will somehow still influence his final grade, especially when he's on a winner before he starts simply by bothering?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 21, 2020 4:51 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:My son's always been a lazy bastard throughout the education system, with a highly developed aptitude for identifying the absolute bare minimum of effort required to 'get away with it' at every opportunity.

Troy Deeney would never have done that. The cunt.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:It he thinks the rest of the work was shit and hopes this will somehow still influence his final grade, especially when he's on a winner before he starts simply by bothering?

Nah, got told he'd passed at the outset and, given the rest of his year, turning into golden boy now still wouldn't push him over the distinction line.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu May 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Ponte wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Be interested to know what anyone else is hearing from their kids' unis.

Absolutely fuck all so far, all going ahead as planned unless advised otherwise. Thanks, really fucking helpful.

Fuck all from Bath (Miss Devi). She’s got her house sorted and has decided with her housemates that they’re all going back even if next term is online.

Similarly nothing from Exeter (Devi Jnr), though he’s a week away from finishing his dissertation, so all he’s worried about is how/when/where/if there’s going to be the Mother of All Piss Ups that should’ve been his graduation week. He’s also keeping his house on as long as he can (Mid July?) so they can DIY that piss up if the uni doesn’t provide.
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Student house after graduation party
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu May 21, 2020 7:55 pm

I had a similar experience, a little younger than your lad, and it honestly changed my life. Not being glib, I hope what you posit is true. :thumbl:

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Student house after graduation party

Trufax
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 22, 2020 8:20 am

For anyone with young'uns

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 am

Went in to my son's room this morning to find a massive jar of peanut butter laying next to him in bed.

'What's that doing there?' I asked.

His reply: 'I wanted to look at it.'

I knew he thought I was stupid but not that stupid.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 28, 2020 9:40 am

Professor Weeto wrote:Went in to my son's room this morning to find a massive jar of peanut butter laying next to him in bed.

Maybe try it next time the Mrs catches you in bed with a supermodel?

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:Went in to my son's room this morning to find a massive jar of peanut butter laying next to him in bed.

Maybe try it next time the Mrs catches you in bed with a supermodel?

Still working on stage one of that plan, unfortunately.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 28, 2020 10:25 am

Don't eat the peanut butter mate.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu May 28, 2020 10:32 am

Blackwhite wrote:Don't eat the peanut butter mate.

When I finally got him to confess he'd been eating it (he folds easily) he told me he'd eaten 'five fingers'.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 28, 2020 10:57 am

Definitely don't eat the peanut butter mate.

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu May 28, 2020 3:18 pm

Devi Jnr handed in his dissertation today, and with that submission ended 17 years in full time education.

G'wan son!
I like it. What is it?

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu May 28, 2020 3:18 pm

Devi Jnr handed his dissertation in today, and with that submission completed 17 years in full time education.
G'wan son!
I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 28, 2020 3:44 pm

He won't get twice the marks, y'know.

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu May 28, 2020 4:30 pm

:lol:

Glitchy tinternet innit
I like it. What is it?