Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Devi

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Devi » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:42 pm

Ross Noble had me in stitches the other night, playing ‘in the Cage’, where he gave film titles and competitors had to say if they were genuine Cage films, or not.

Apologies for the Colin Murray

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08g63qx (from 10:10)
I like it. What is it?

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:08 am

eric olthwaite wrote:He has his moments. Good in Raising Arizona, decent in Kick-Ass. Allegedly very good in Leaving Las Vegas, but I’ve never seen it. But then, yeah, stuff like Con-Air and National Treasure is properly off-the-scale atrocious.

Con Air is just your standard production-line popcorn Jerry Bruckheimer / Don Simpson B-Movie and I will gladly watch it if just as a beer/couch enabler. Mandy though. You keep waiting for it to approach even basic levels of Thespian ability and you feel like they're not even trying.

Tommy

Film Review Thread

Postby Tommy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:02 pm

‘Con-Air’ is exactly on that sweet spot where something very bad is actually very good. Preposterously stupid film but so watchable.

FER

Postby FER » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:27 am

Would you consider Tango & Cash to be in that same niche?
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:31 am

FER wrote:Would you consider Tango & Cash to be in that same niche?

Tango and Cash is fucking ace.
Conclave member

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:45 am

30% on Rotten Tomatoes, with a summary of Brutally violent and punishingly dull, this cookie-cutter buddy cop thriller isn't even fun enough to reach "so bad it's good" status.

Con-Air:

55%: Con Air won't win any awards for believability - and all involved seem cheerfully aware of it, making some of this blockbuster action outing's biggest flaws fairly easy to forgive.

My go-to for 'so bad it's good' is Under Siege:

79%: A well-directed action thriller that makes the most of its confined setting, Under Siege marks a high point for early '90s action -- and its star's spotty filmography.

That's a disappointingly high score.
Member of a clique

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:48 am

Incidentally, RM rates Mandy at 90% certified fresh. I'm almost intrigued.
Member of a clique

Tommy

Film Review Thread

Postby Tommy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:04 pm

Ponte wrote:

Tango and Cash is fucking ace.

Yeah there’s a whole raft of indisputably titillating but very bad action films that for me are more compelling than many actual comedies and some dramas. There’s an argument to be made that the mind blowing success of the ‘Fast & Furious’ franchise is predicated on being dumb enough to satisfy all comers.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:08 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:My go-to for 'so bad it's good' is Under Siege:

79%: A well-directed action thriller that makes the most of its confined setting, Under Siege marks a high point for early '90s action -- and its star's spotty filmography.

I reckon the score was bumped up by Erika Eleniak getting her norks out.
Conclave member

FER

Postby FER » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:26 pm

I do like Under Siege, however I'm not too sure it's one of those films which, when flicking through channels, you'd leave on and watch, regardless of what point in the movie you land.

A few nights ago I happened upon Shawshank (Andy was just asking Red for the rock hammer). it stayed on. Two nights ago it was T2 (Arnie was just popping tear gas at the cops outside the Cyberdyne building). It stayed on. This would apply to any of the BTTF movies and most of the Star Wars films.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:01 pm

Ponte wrote:

It was definitely a highlight for teenage me.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:11 pm

Ponte wrote:I reckon the score was bumped up by Erika Eleniak getting her norks out.

I miss that old word.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Ponte wrote:

It was definitely a highlight for teenage me.

Aye, little Ponte got strangled a few times watching that scene :thumbl:
Conclave member

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:20 pm

Just come across summat called No Escape that’s really exceptionally bad. Owen Wilson, there’s another universally useless cunt.
Member of a clique

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:59 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Incidentally, RM rates Mandy at 90% certified fresh. I'm almost intrigued.

Sounds fishy to me. Seriously, avoid.

While I'm here, another film that gets minus out of ten marks: The Astronauts Wife. Barely competent writing and acting, horrible vaseline smeared photography (I know, but really), Johnny Depp at his most extremely punchable worst. It has one of the signposts of a shit movie: "written and directed by..", which I stupidly ignored, because Charlize Theron.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:13 am

Da 5 Bloods.
Spike Lee movie for Netflix about black Vietnam vets going back to claim their gold. Should it be on here or the TV thread? Fuck knows.

Anyway, it's fucking boring. I've mostly found Lee's movies to be overrated, clunky and predictable, and this imo is just another one like it. It's way too long - about 40 mins, at least - and seeing as you know how the story turns out from about five minutes in, that makes it seem even longer.

Even having lots of Marvin on the soundtrack doesn't save it.

Bah!

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:28 am

dirty leeds wrote:Da 5 Bloods.
Spike Lee movie for Netflix about black Vietnam vets going back to claim their gold. Should it be on here or the TV thread? Fuck knows.

Anyway, it's fucking boring. I've mostly found Lee's movies to be overrated, clunky and predictable, and this imo is just another one like it. It's way too long - about 40 mins, at least - and seeing as you know how the story turns out from about five minutes in, that makes it seem even longer.

Even having lots of Marvin on the soundtrack doesn't save it.

Bah!

Was going to watch yesterday but admit i was repulsed by the 2hr30+ running time.
Member of a clique

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:21 am

I started watching this yesterday in a bid to educate myself about the current issues.

Didn't last long. Despite the well crafted argument about keeping slaves to feed vampires and therefore prevent the fabric of society from disintegrating, I still found it a tad far fetched. Shame I usually like Tim Burton's stuff :thumbd:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:03 pm

just watched a film written and directed by 'amy pond' from dr who, actually called karen gillan, and this was a lot more down to earth. it's on now tv called 'the party's just beginning'. she's engaging, it's a dark film set in her home town of inverness, a bit like one of those films you'd see in the 80's on channel 4. not one for the kids. worth a watch if you like the dark and haunted sort of social realism comedies
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:41 pm

The Last Tree is really good. Standard coming-of-age thing in a way, but beautifully made.
Member of a clique

Return to “The Square Ball”