Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:44 pm

Fun curiosity watch last night: White God Hungarian tale about a gang of dogs that takes over Budapest. Quite silly, hugely entertaining, and some very dodgy teen sexualisation that no one in the West would get away with.

Currently watching San Andreas again and trying to rate it on the pantheon of best worst disaster movies. Definitely up there, but it’s no Supervolcano. We’ve decided that someone needs to make an end of civilisation disaster movie with Tommy Lee Jones, Morgan Freeman and The Rock, that’ll do it.
Member of a clique

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:22 pm

Mrs OEE said let’s watch a movie from our prime freebies. We chose Misconduct. Should be alright we thought. Hopkins Pacino, Stiles, what could go wrong

Well it’s shite, I mean really really shite. Hopkins and Pacino just phone it in, and Stiles acts like she’s reading the dialogue and script for the first time

Awful

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:43 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Has anybody seen him in that film where he plays a corpse that gets used as a fart- powered surfboard?

Forgot about that. Yeah seen that. Quite a brave move for any actor to do :lol:

FER

Postby FER » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:51 am

Watched the latest Spider Man (Far From Home) t'other night. It's all a bit silly isn't it. What made it worse, was that we haven't seen any of the Avengers movies, so didn't know who some of the characters were. It's okay to pass a couple of hours of boredom and it's another tick in the MCU box. I just can't get my mind around Spidey being a school kid, and also that he's so fucking obviously Spider Man and no fucker bats an eyelid! 5/10.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:18 pm

FER wrote:Watched the latest Spider Man (Far From Home) t'other night. It's all a bit silly isn't it. What made it worse, was that we haven't seen any of the Avengers movies, so didn't know who some of the characters were. It's okay to pass a couple of hours of boredom and it's another tick in the MCU box. I just can't get my mind around Spidey being a school kid, and also that he's so fucking obviously Spider Man and no fucker bats an eyelid! 5/10.

Have you seen Deadpool, recommend both of them if you haven't.
Andymac

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:08 pm

FER wrote:Watched the latest Spider Man (Far From Home) t'other night. It's all a bit silly isn't it. What made it worse, was that we haven't seen any of the Avengers movies, so didn't know who some of the characters were. It's okay to pass a couple of hours of boredom and it's another tick in the MCU box. I just can't get my mind around Spidey being a school kid, and also that he's so fucking obviously Spider Man and no fucker bats an eyelid! 5/10.

Spiderman has always been a school kid, it's how he was written. Yes it's ridiculous, the MCU started small and then keeps taking up a notch. I love them but if I started 20 films in then I imagine I wouldn't.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:05 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:

Spiderman has always been a school kid, it's how he was written. Yes it's ridiculous, the MCU started small and then keeps taking up a notch. I love them but if I started 20 films in then I imagine I wouldn't.

The first one was just dull so can't face watching that one. Didn't mind the amazing spiderman ones but all this superhero stuff can get a bit tedious. The only ones I like are Deadpool, Thor films and the Nolan batman's ones

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:08 pm

Anyone seen Brightburn?

Kind of What If Baby Superman Was A Little Cunt. Not bad. Not brilliant. Better than Superman.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 03, 2020 10:12 am

Saw Midsommar last night, via Amazon telly box.
Much enjoyed. Reminded me a lot of the old East Riding of my youth: Grandad chucking himself to his doom off the larger of the two pigeon lofts; our Nan helpfully pushing my elder brother's buttocks from behind as he tried - unsuccessfully, as it turned out - to impregnate her next door.
Simpler times.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun May 03, 2020 10:18 am

Mrs wanted to rewatch Abigail’s Party last night. Dated as fuck, but still hyper-cringe.

Find it hard to imagine the Beeb commissioning a two hour one act / one room drama these days.
Member of a clique

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:29 am

Odd Tom, good shout for family entertainment.
Andymac

FredFlintstone

Postby FredFlintstone » Sun May 03, 2020 4:55 pm

Watched Color Out Of Space last night. Good bit of Lovecraftian horror.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun May 03, 2020 5:06 pm

FredFlintstone wrote:Watched Color Out Of Space last night. Good bit of Lovecraftian horror.

Yeah, but Nicholas Cage innit.
Was a big Lovecraft fan as a nipper and was thinking about giving it a whirl until I saw the cast.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 03, 2020 6:06 pm

FredFlintstone wrote:Watched Color Out Of Space last night. Good bit of Lovecraftian horror.

What's it on?

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sun May 03, 2020 6:16 pm

AndyPaul wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:

The first one was just dull so can't face watching that one. Didn't mind the amazing spiderman ones but all this superhero stuff can get a bit tedious. The only ones I like are Deadpool, Thor films and the Nolan batman's ones

All of you, watch Into The Spider verse ASAP. probably the best superhero movie made, full stop.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Yeah that one gets a pass on several levels.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:23 pm

Sorry Matt, that title belongs to Deadpool 1 or 2.
Andymac

FredFlintstone

Postby FredFlintstone » Sun May 03, 2020 6:42 pm

dirty leeds wrote:

What's it on?

I rented it on XBox as I'm a big Lovecraft fan. Used to play and GM a lot of Call of Cthulhu RPG stuff when I was younger. :study:

FredFlintstone

Postby FredFlintstone » Sun May 03, 2020 6:43 pm

Mustafaster wrote:

Yeah, but Nicholas Cage innit.
Was a big Lovecraft fan as a nipper and was thinking about giving it a whirl until I saw the cast.

It's worth a look if you get a chance. Cage isn't great but Joelly Richardson and support make up for him.

The Tin Man

Postby The Tin Man » Sun May 03, 2020 7:21 pm

Really enjoyed The Australian film Mystery Road, Aboriginal detective trying to solve murder of a young Aboriginal woman.Depicts the tension within trying to straddle the 2 communities . Not given much help by either the Indigenous people or the white community etc ,basically he's an outsider to both now for obvious reasons. Social realism/western/detective thriller . Worth watching.
Kermode talks about it here :

For every step,the footprint was already there.

Return to “The Square Ball”