Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Terre Harte II

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Terre Harte II » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:37 am

Quiffy wrote:there are worse films, no doubts, i'm just not feeling so passive about it. he's got a few good songs, i bought 2 low for zero when i was about 12, but i've always thought elton john was an odious character since i saw him berating a fan in a documentary for asking for his autograph when he was playing tennis. i think britain would probably be a better place without him in it, or alan carr for that matter. i hate people who act like shits and then dismiss it arrogantly.

apologies for the rant.

So how do you feel about Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy?

(Ducks ...)
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:00 am

Random watchlist:

Southland Tales Mad as a box of frogs. Directed by Richard Kelly: seems like he was given a blank cheque on the back of the success of Donnie Darko. Can’t be described as good but, uh, interesting and entertaining in parts.

Coffee and Cigarettes Jim Jarmusch thing, series of short vignettes. I’ve seen bits before but I don’t think I’ve ever say through the whole film before. Treads a knife edge between funny and up its own arse, but worth watching if you have the spare time.

Oldboy Seen it before but, well, it’s the best revenge thriller ever, innit.

Primer. Ultra low budget indie about a bunch of nerds who sort of invent time travel. Very obscure, complex and tricky to follow but quite well done.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:04 am

Liked Primer a lot, one I immediately wanted to watch again for all the Aha! moments. Do like good believable hard sci fi.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:08 am

Blackwhite wrote:Liked Primer a lot, one I immediately wanted to watch again for all the Aha! moments. Do like good believable hard sci fi.

Yeah, but
Spoiler!
take your eyes off it for two seconds and you lose completely track of normal and ‘future’ characters
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:49 am

Oh yeah, it's to watch two times to even come close to working it all out. You've reminded me to watch it again now...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:40 am

Finally waded thru the boring shit that Tarantino put out last year to get to the ridiculous ending.
Took me 4 goes at about 30-45 minutes a sitting.
The first 2 hours were some nonsense about actors, the last 40 minutes a ridiculous re-writing of history.
I went back and read TH's defense of it here - and ok, I maybe get what he was about.
Its just not interesting.
I think that probably it has to do with not being American (no matter living here for 30 years), certainly never having any liking for Los Angeles, as well as my previously mentioned lack of interest in actors/acting.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:33 pm

Just watched Marriage Italian Style with Sophia Loren and Marcello Mastroianni. Incredible performance from Loren, you realise all her Hollywood performances were a bit slight compared to what she was capable of in Italy.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:37 am

Less highbrow, definitely not one for BW, took a desperate flick through now tv's new releases and alighted on 'extra time' a sports movie that had an unusual 5 star rating.
Sports movies are usually let down by the game scenes but for this film it didn't matter as it turned out to be about an Aussie rules team, so I hadn't a clue about the integrity of the action.
Turned out to be one of those silly sentimental films that was surprisingly enjoyable with some engaging characters and genuinely funny and charming moments.
One to watch with the wife or kids.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:01 am

Quiffy wrote:Less highbrow, definitely not one for BW,

Oi, I watched the latest Spiderman movie last night. Daft as fuck, killed some time. Not as good as the cartoon one. 4/10.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:06 am

Binge watched the Harry Potter series this last week.
Actually quite impressive.
Each one is complete in itself but forms part of a coherent narrative over quite a long time.
The progress of the characters and the increasing darkness from a schoolboy jape to pretty scary is very well done.
Some great acting from the secondary characters, and Radcliffe does a really fine job at such a young age.
Shame everything he's done since is shite.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:27 am

Aye they’re pretty good. The hardest thing to do in cinema is translate a much loved piece of literature into a movie, so to pull it off not once but 8 times is testament to the production team. Hard to think of a big moment in the books that wasn’t nailed in the movies.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:24 am

Mustafaster wrote:Binge watched the Harry Potter series this last week.
Actually quite impressive.
Each one is complete in itself but forms part of a coherent narrative over quite a long time.
The progress of the characters and the increasing darkness from a schoolboy jape to pretty scary is very well done.
Some great acting from the secondary characters, and Radcliffe does a really fine job at such a young age.
Shame everything he's done since is shite.

Reason being he can't really act. He gets by on being such a nice bloke. And he has enough dosh not to care what anybody thinks.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:35 am

Has anybody seen him in that film where he plays a corpse that gets used as a fart- powered surfboard?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:51 am

He was supposedly a bloody marvel in Beckett at the Old Vic a couple of months ago. We wanted to go but couldn’t get tickets. Shame as I was quite up for that.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:29 am

Blackwhite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:Less highbrow, definitely not one for BW,

Oi, I watched the latest Spiderman movie last night. Daft as fuck, killed some time. Not as good as the cartoon one. 4/10.

It was a film with likeable (to me) aussies.

I know you're not highbrow :lol:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:29 am

I quite enjoyed Woman In Black, as it goes.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:34 am

For this evening’s watching,I’m trying to sell Mrs O on Takashi Miike’s Visitor Q. She’s far from convinced.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:45 am

Quiffy wrote:It was a film with likeable (to me) aussies.

Ah yeah you're right, I don't go a whole bunch for the fantasy genre.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:19 pm

dirty leeds wrote: He gets by on being such a nice bloke.

He does seem to be a nice bloke, and I like his Miracle Workers tv show - very unusual sitcom.
I think he is up for anything (e.g. Swiss Army Man), so good luck to him.

The Potter movies are on constantly on 3 US tv channels - the parent company bought the rights until 2025 - so will end up knowing as much of the dialogue as LOTR.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:57 am

Emma Watson on the other hand, really, really can't act.

Return to “The Square Ball”