Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:27 pm

If you’re in the mood for a Brazilian Western thriller horror, Bacarau is worth a couple of hours of your time.
HM Collector Of Parcels

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere
Contact:

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:12 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:If you’re in the mood for a Brazilian Western thriller horror, Bacarau is worth a couple of hours of your time.

Think that's in the Curzon list at the mo, you're not the first to recommend it...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
FER
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:44 am
Location: Hanging Out The Back Of Winona Ryder

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby FER » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:11 pm

The Platform

Watched this on NetFlix last night. It's a Spanish film called El Hoyo and dubbed into English.

IMDB tells us "A vertical prison with one cell per level. Two people per cell. One only food platform and two minutes per day to feed from up to down. An endless nightmare trapped in The Hole"

It's not too bad. Plenty of blood and gore if that's your bag, decent idea and played out well. One of these films without about 7 characters in it, all but 2 or 3 are ancillary so it's kept quite tight. I'd say it's well worth 90 minutes of your life. Obviously.

I want to give it 7/10 but...

Spoiler!
The fucking ending, man! And the platform going back up at that speed? Do me a favour!


... so on that basis, it's getting a solid 6/10
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:29 pm

I think Southland Tales might be free to view on MUBI today. It’s got a cult reputation as either the worst or best film ever made, if you care to look in.
HM Collector Of Parcels

User avatar
The Tin Man
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby The Tin Man » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:22 pm

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've never watched so many flims as now. Recommend the following
The Party https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5814592/
Goob,Bait,Leave no trace,Winter's bone(but the book is better) and the magnificent Florida Project.All quality IMHO
Goob is on Iplayer . Not too dissimilar to Dead Man's shoes in some ways
For every step,the footprint was already there.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Quiffy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:20 pm

watching rocket man, the elton john thing. it's my wife's birthday so i'm being thoughtful. there's taron egerton and the bloke off the bodyguard, good looking lads, but as a heterosexual man, i don't know how much i'd have to be paid to snog another man. fucking loads is all.

showbusiness, funny old business.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Eddies Boots
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Eddies Boots » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:44 pm

Quiffy wrote:watching rocket man, the elton john thing. it's my wife's birthday so i'm being thoughtful. there's taron egerton and the bloke off the bodyguard, good looking lads, but as a heterosexual man, i don't know how much i'd have to be paid to snog another man. fucking loads is all.

showbusiness, funny old business.


I don't really have time for films of biographies and stories connected to show business - this was no different and I stopped after about 40 minutes, even though (or because) I like his early music.
I never watch any Oscar winning/nominated movies that are related to it.
I had no interest in any of that as a career - so 'what it takes to succeed, or 'the pain that drove the artist on', has never been interesting.
But I am open to a good musical.
Anyone want to recommend any movies that are above average where hollywood/show business is concerned - other than the Full Monty.

User avatar
Ontolly
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Shrewsbury

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Ontolly » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:48 pm

Quiffy wrote: i don't know how much i'd have to be paid to snog another man. fucking loads is all.


I didn't know you were a whore (although some things are now starting to make sense). Your charge for kissing seems high though. What about sucking a cock? Taking one up the gary? Making quiche? Giving a reach round?

Personally I only ever do it for love although I'll lick your nipples for £500 when all this covid stuff is over :thumbl:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

User avatar
The Tin Man
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby The Tin Man » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:53 pm

Not a film but this is a must . On Iplayer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... f-the-cool

Probably been mentioned already somewhere here or there or whatever............
For every step,the footprint was already there.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Quiffy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:59 pm

sorry to return to this film, but just watched the bit where he tried to top himself, nicely trivialised by a dance scene as his body was resurrected in the hospital a few seconds later. the next scene has him being an utter shit to his long term collaborator.

his music is celebrated as being 'personal and honest' yet he hasn't the balls to explore what drove him to trying to top himself then hypocritically he's being a cunt to someone else in the next scene. it's modern britain in a nutshell, entertainment is all, no matter what the quality. how can he have given the thumbs up to such poisonous drivel? the oscar was for the song at the end, thankfully the world isn't this fucked up.

elton john should fuck off and meet miley. horrible man.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
The Tin Man
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby The Tin Man » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:12 pm

Quiffy wrote:sorry to return to this film, but just watched the bit where he tried to top himself, nicely trivialised by a dance scene as his body was resurrected in the hospital a few seconds later. the next scene has him being an utter shit to his long term collaborator.

his music is celebrated as being 'personal and honest' yet he hasn't the balls to explore what drove him to trying to top himself then hypocritically he's being a cunt to someone else in the next scene. it's modern britain in a nutshell, entertainment is all, no matter what the quality. how can he have given the thumbs up to such poisonous drivel? the oscar was for the song at the end, thankfully the world isn't this fucked up.

elton john should fuck off and meet miley. horrible man.


We're half way through this film. My wife thinks it's appalling. Me -meh , the acting's okay and the music's fine - it's entertaining but not profound. Seen worse .........etc etc
For every step,the footprint was already there.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Quiffy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:19 pm

The Tin Man wrote:
Quiffy wrote:sorry to return to this film, but just watched the bit where he tried to top himself, nicely trivialised by a dance scene as his body was resurrected in the hospital a few seconds later. the next scene has him being an utter shit to his long term collaborator.

his music is celebrated as being 'personal and honest' yet he hasn't the balls to explore what drove him to trying to top himself then hypocritically he's being a cunt to someone else in the next scene. it's modern britain in a nutshell, entertainment is all, no matter what the quality. how can he have given the thumbs up to such poisonous drivel? the oscar was for the song at the end, thankfully the world isn't this fucked up.

elton john should fuck off and meet miley. horrible man.


We're half way through this film. My wife thinks it's appalling. Me -meh , the acting's okay and the music's fine - it's entertaining but not profound. Seen worse .........etc etc

there are worse films, no doubts, i'm just not feeling so passive about it. he's got a few good songs, i bought 2 low for zero when i was about 12, but i've always thought elton john was an odious character since i saw him berating a fan in a documentary for asking for his autograph when he was playing tennis. i think britain would probably be a better place without him in it, or alan carr for that matter. i hate people who act like shits and then dismiss it arrogantly.

apologies for the rant.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Quiffy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:30 pm

Ontolly wrote:
Quiffy wrote: i don't know how much i'd have to be paid to snog another man. fucking loads is all.


I didn't know you were a whore (although some things are now starting to make sense). Your charge for kissing seems high though. What about sucking a cock? Taking one up the gary? Making quiche? Giving a reach round?

Personally I only ever do it for love although I'll lick your nipples for £500 when all this covid stuff is over :thumbl:

quiche - only £400.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere
Contact:

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:13 pm

Very coy on the rest
If it helps - how much for quiche and a BJ?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:39 pm

Today’s daft factoid: we’re watching X-Men for the umpteenth time and one of the kids asked how many times the Golden Gate Bridge has been destroyed on film. 183 apparently; 400-odd if you count all the times the earth has been destroyed more generally.
HM Collector Of Parcels

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:21 pm

Tonight’s not-a-Mrs-O pic was a Romanian tragi-comic drama: The Death of Mr Lazarescu.

Really good, but it’s possible that a film about someone dying in an Orwellian healthcare bureaucracy is not what I ought to be watching right now.
HM Collector Of Parcels

User avatar
FER
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 8:44 am
Location: Hanging Out The Back Of Winona Ryder

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby FER » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:57 pm

We went on a film hunt last night. We fancied a disaster movie so searched NF for that. After wading through the ones we'd seen before, and then discounting some because she doesn't do 'space movies', we ended up a little off topic with what we decided, judging by the picture placeholder, was a 'plane movie'.

Left Behind

Nick Fucking Cage is in this piece of dross about a moment in time when some people disappear, literally. About 20 mins in, the missus said it looked like some kind of god bothering shit (probably because of the references to God littered throughout), but I said we should press on to see 'what happened'. Sure enough, when the people vanished, it was obviously The Rapture. The best part of the film was when Cage's daughter, played by Cassi Thomsom (no, me neither) did this looking thorough a bunch of clothes to find her little bro:

Image

Avoid this film, it's shit.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere
Contact:

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:20 pm

Famous Christian book and movie series is abject shite shocka
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Matt White
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34 pm
Location: God's own Essex

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Matt White » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:
Quiffy wrote:watching rocket man, the elton john thing. it's my wife's birthday so i'm being thoughtful. there's taron egerton and the bloke off the bodyguard, good looking lads, but as a heterosexual man, i don't know how much i'd have to be paid to snog another man. fucking loads is all.

showbusiness, funny old business.


I don't really have time for films of biographies and stories connected to show business - this was no different and I stopped after about 40 minutes, even though (or because) I like his early music.
I never watch any Oscar winning/nominated movies that are related to it.
I had no interest in any of that as a career - so 'what it takes to succeed, or 'the pain that drove the artist on', has never been interesting.
But I am open to a good musical.
Anyone want to recommend any movies that are above average where hollywood/show business is concerned - other than the Full Monty.


Try the Proclaimers film, Sunshine on Leith. I normally hate jukebox musicals but this was good. It might be worth mentioning at this point that you have to like the Proclaimers to enjoy it :|

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Andymac-47 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:55 pm

Good call Matt. Not a fan of musicals, forced to watch it a few months ago.
Andymac


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eddies Boots and 34 guests