Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 19, 2019 9:16 am

Wakefield White wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:The Wife, starring Glenn Close and Jonathan Pryce.
Just watched it on Netflix with Mrs DL.
Tedious, slow moving, depressing nowt-much of a film - telling the 'story' [such as it is] of a fellah who gets the Nobel Award for Literature although it's his Mrs who really writes the books - not really saved by two very good performances from the leads. Based on a successful novel, apparently. What a fucking great read that must have been.

Fucking hell, literally just finished watching this with my mrs.

I thought it was alright/rather good. It took a decent stab at exploring the motivations and flaws in both characters, not entirely successfully. Not read the book.

Kudos on use of the spoiler function! :lol:

:mrgreen: The part about the Mrs writing the books was freely mentioned in every review I came across, so I knew that and assumed everyone else would too.

SmithyHK

Postby SmithyHK » Wed May 22, 2019 12:52 pm

Not quite on topic (5 part miniseries), but Chernobyl is fucking excellent so far
Death to the Unbelievers

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed May 22, 2019 1:29 pm

SmithyHK wrote:Not quite on topic (5 part miniseries), but Chernobyl is fucking excellent so far

Erm... do keep up old chap, see the shit telly thread. :mrgreen:
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

SmithyHK

Postby SmithyHK » Wed May 22, 2019 2:56 pm

Tycipa wrote:
SmithyHK wrote:Not quite on topic (5 part miniseries), but Chernobyl is fucking excellent so far

Erm... do keep up old chap, see the shit telly thread. :mrgreen:

Oh erm :oops: feeling like a ballboy cunt here after so long off-air
Death to the Unbelievers

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu May 23, 2019 8:48 am

John Wick.

Nope. Can't see what the fuss is about really.
I like it. What is it?

FER

Postby FER » Thu May 23, 2019 11:41 am

Devi wrote:John Wick.

Nah, come on! Cracking film, second is too (which I saw before the first). You're missing something, somewhere.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun May 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Million Dollar Baby on Netflix is pretty good. Extra points for being a Hollywood film without a
Spoiler!
particularly happy ending
, and Hilary’s Wank is very good. Minus points for the sheer horror of a Morgan Freeman voiceover, but I just about coped.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 am

FER wrote:
Devi wrote:John Wick.

Nah, come on! Cracking film, second is too (which I saw before the first). You're missing something, somewhere.

I thought death number 327 was a bit gratuitous.....
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

FER

Postby FER » Wed May 29, 2019 11:50 am

Hobo With A Shotgun

Like violence? Like gore? Like seeing someone's head being blown off with a gun? Like Rutger Hauer?

If you answer yes to the above (you can leave out Rutger if you want), then this is for you!

I happened upon this film last night as it was starting and was intrigued by the title (Snakes on a Plane, anyone?). It's a massively gory fest of violence and reminded me very much of something Sam Raimi might have done. Our Rutger is a homeless bum who gets pissed off with the local gang running the show. Think of Falling Down when when Douglas snaps and you're on the right lines. He gets himself a shotgun and turns vigilante of every single muthafucka in town!

Definitely worth a watch and some of the scenes had Mrs FER squirming, as they were pretty graphic (stabbing someone with the exposed bone in your arm after having your hand severed by a lawnmower blade, being one).

A solid 8/10
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:26 pm

I Am Mother.

Sci-fi thing on Netflix. Gets good reviews but struck me as a fairly dreary slow-going re-hash of a not very original idea. And didn’t make a lot of sense in the end.

Musson Grumble

Postby Musson Grumble » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:04 am

Rocketman.
Self indulgent musical nonsense.
Give it a miss.
Eat more English celery.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:22 am

The Diego documentary is brilliant well worth a watch.

Tommy

Film Review Thread

Postby Tommy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:53 am

‘The Death of Stalin’ is on Amazon Instant Video now. Watched it for the first time since I saw it at the cinema and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Definitely in my top twenty of all time, maybe even in my top ten.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:05 am

Tommy wrote:‘The Death of Stalin’ is on Amazon Instant Video now. Watched it for the first time since I saw it at the cinema and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Definitely in my top twenty of all time, maybe even in my top ten.

Isaacs as a Yorkshire Zhukov is up there with my all time favorite performances:

“I fucked Germany, I think I can manage a flesh lump in a waste coat”
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 am

Anyone watched Roma on Netflix? Decent enough film really, but I couldn't help feeling it's been a bit overhyped just on account of having a recognised Hollywood director (Cuaron - Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth, Gravity) go off and do something arthouse in black and white, in a funny foreign language.

It won Best Director and Best Cinematography Oscars, but there's this ongoing thing about tracking shots which just felt a bit laboured / mannered to me. If you notice the direction that much, it's probably not that good?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:29 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Anyone watched Roma on Netflix? Decent enough film really, but I couldn't help feeling it's been a bit overhyped just on account of having a recognised Hollywood director (Cuaron - Children of Men, Pan's Labyrinth, Gravity) go off and do something arthouse in black and white, in a funny foreign language.

It won Best Director and Best Cinematography Oscars, but there's this ongoing thing about tracking shots which just felt a bit laboured / mannered to me. If you notice the direction that much, it's probably not that good?

Can't comment on Roma, haven't seen it. You might be right about it being laboured.

But on the broader point, I think direction, editing and music are fundamental to how the story is told.
Films like 2001, Apocalypse Now, American Beauty ... are enhanced by the direction and become much more vivid than they otherwise would be .
Scenes like the dancing plastic bag in America Beauty get etched into the mind.
You notice the direction, but not in a bad way. They turned good films into great films.

The opposite is also true.
Poor editing can ruin a good film or tv show.
Line of Duty was wrecked by the poor editing.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:56 am

Mustafaster wrote:But on the broader point, I think direction, editing and music are fundamental to how the story is told.
Films like 2001, Apocalypse Now, American Beauty ... are enhanced by the direction and become much more vivid than they otherwise would be .
You notice the direction, but not in a bad way. They turned good films into great films.

I'm not disagreeing. I mean, I'm a fan of Greenaway and his direction is often ridiculously contrived. In The Belly of Architect all backgrounds are perpendicular to the camera, and the camera only moves parallel to or perpendicular to the background plane. It's completely absurd but it kind of works; you can lose yourself in it.

Not sure what it is about Roma, but it's one of those you watch and go, 'Oh God, he's doing that thing again', to an extent which just interferes with the quality of the film.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:57 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:But on the broader point, I think direction, editing and music are fundamental to how the story is told.

I'm not disagreeing. I mean, I'm a fan of Greenaway and his direction is often ridiculously contrived. In The Belly of Architect all backgrounds are perpendicular to the camera, and the camera only moves parallel to or perpendicular to the background plane. It's completely absurd but it kind of works; you can lose yourself in it.

Not sure what it is about Roma, but it's one of those you watch and go, 'Oh God, he's doing that thing again', to an extent which just interferes with the quality of the film.

I'm gonna have to watch it now ya cunt.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:07 am

It’s genuinely worth watching. I just don’t see it as a double Oscar winner and, like I said, I doubt it would be as feted without Cuaron’s previous record.

EDIT:

Maybe I was in a particularly picky mood when I watched it, but:

Spoiler!
The equivalent of the American Beauty plastic bag thing in Roma is dog shit. Suspect there's meant to be some metaphor about the 'unclean' in family life just being left to pile up and becoming unmanageable but, well, it was dog shit

Also:

Spoiler!
The fire in the forest scene was a reference to Tarkovsky's Mirror, surely? Don't pull that smart-ass cineaste shite with me, sonny

Tommy

Film Review Thread

Postby Tommy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Wakefield White wrote:Isaacs as a Yorkshire Zhukov is up there with my all time favorite performances.

Yeah he’s great. This is one of those rare films where every single one of the cast is ace and there are maybe ten or so actors competing for best performance in a sea of perfect 10s.

The second time around I think Stalin’s kids were the standout for me. I don’t think I’ve seen either actor before and they’re both helped by having such good lines but both are absolutely superb. Palin and Tambor also playing the roles they were born to play.

Return to “The Square Ball”