Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Clacton white

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Clacton white » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Ontolly wrote:
Clacton white wrote:I've struggled a bit with some of the later Marvel films . I've enjoyed them a lot in the past - Capt America , Avengers , Thor , Dr Strange .....but more recent IMO have a bit too much silly humour in that take away from the films , even the last Avengers seemed a bit contrived at times . I am sort of currently watching Antman ( say sort of as I think I've lost a bit of interest at half way ) , struggled A LOT with Black Panther and gave up . Its a shame as I have enjoyed a lot of them in the past . Haven't seen Capt Marvel yet .

Today I was reading a football forum when I came across a rant from a (presumably) grown man who was bemoaning the fact that a marvel or DC or something film was (working on a premise of genetic mutated superheroes or something) "contrived".
I didn't know whether to call a point of order or to get fucking shitfaced. I have chosen the latter and any incidents that occur as a result of my decision are solely the responsibility of Clacton White :drunk:

Should steer clear of those football forum thingy's . Nothing but trouble .
Anyway - what I meant by contrived is the humour , I did find in some situations the humour seems put in and it isn't required or it detracts from situations , or it does for me anyway . and yes I am a grown( ish) man , I'm 56 and I still watch Marvel films :D :D . Wise idea though getting shitfaced but don't blame me for that , I guess you might have anyway and that's an excuse :D :D :D . I'm a teetotaller myself but that does mean I haven't a way of drowning sorrow's as a LUFC supporter . Looking forward to new Game of Thrones season soon though .

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
MightyWhite wrote:The animated Spider-Man film is very good, doe :thumbl:

Yeah, a rare one of this sort of film I'm keen to catch.

Aye. Not a fan of superhero stuff at all but it was the discount kids movie at the Odeon last weekend so was kind of thrust upon us. Suffered through many mornings of mediocrity in the interest of something cheap to do on a Sunday morning but this one was rollicking good fun. Knew it would be decent when it took the piss out of the Toby McGuire street dance in the opening scene :mrgreen:
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Clacton white wrote:
Andymac-47 wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:Captain marvel is a fun watch it's a bit muddled at the start and not on the same level as some of the recent marvel films but well worth a watch.

The de ageing of Sam Jackson is very good.

Agreed, great couple of hours fun.

I've struggled a bit with some of the later Marvel films . I've enjoyed them a lot in the past - Capt America , Avengers , Thor , Dr Strange .....but more recent IMO have a bit too much silly humour in that take away from the films , even the last Avengers seemed a bit contrived at times . I am sort of currently watching Antman ( say sort of as I think I've lost a bit of interest at half way ) , struggled A LOT with Black Panther and gave up . Its a shame as I have enjoyed a lot of them in the past . Haven't seen Capt Marvel yet .

Whereas I think they're generally getting better. They are what they are, never to be taken too seriously (how can they be?), Thor 3 is my favourite and that's due to it not taking itself seriously at all. Infinity war was spot on too. Captain Marvel isn't as good but perfectly watchable. The first Thor is my least favourite, had too much of a Flash Gordon vibe for me in the visuals (though thanks to the wider franchise it's not looking as dated as I feared it would by this point).

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:45 pm

Nah Phil, Dead Pool, followed closely by the first Gaurdians.
Andymac

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:01 pm

Shout for Logan too.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Ok, let me re-phrase: Within the cinematic universe. GotG were both very good but behind Thor 3 in my view.

Deadpool is brilliant, 2nd wasn't quite as good. Logan good too but I'm less inclined to watch that again.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:59 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Ok, let me re-phrase: Within the cinematic universe. GotG were both very good but behind Thor 3 in my view.

Deadpool is brilliant, 2nd wasn't quite as good. Logan good too but I'm less inclined to watch that again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Andymac

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:17 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Ok, let me re-phrase: Within the cinematic universe. GotG were both very good but behind Thor 3 in my view.

:salute:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Clacton white wrote:I've struggled a bit with some of the later Marvel films

I've come to realise over the last year or so that I find all superhero movies virtually unwatchable these days. It's a combination of a few things, I suppose. I find the whole world of CGI and ludicrous fight scenes that go on for fifteen minutes just boring, but more than that it's the idea of the cult of the uniquely powerful individual saviour, goodies against baddies, the righteous always triumph and all that; it's just so miserably American.

I'm obviously turning into some sort of old misanthropic recluse I think, I just haven't decided whether I'm des Esseintes or Walden.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:48 pm

I do hope this Jim Jarmusch zombie flick is as good as the ludicrous cast suggests it might be.

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:24 pm

All zombie films are great.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:37 pm

Proud to be Leeds wrote:All zombie films are great.

Return of the Living Dead sucked ass.

Otherwise I think I'm with ya, through the floor of what's acceptable to show people.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:10 pm

World War Z?

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:35 am

eric olthwaite wrote:

World War Z?

I quite enjoyed that
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 pm

I’ve been in a fucking foul mood all day even without the football.

However I’ve just watched Paterson, which is the perfect kind of slightly left field gently uplifting movie for this mood and I am now in a better place.

Well, a bit.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:18 pm

Shazam, shite.
Andymac

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:Shitezam.

ETFY

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm

What’s the point of remaking Hellboy then?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Andymac-47 wrote:Shitezam.

ETFY

Zashite?

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:59 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:What’s the point of remaking Hellboy then?

No point. The originals were reasonably good. Apparently the new one if crap.

Return to “The Square Ball”