Andymac-47

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Andymac-47 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:14 pm

The genius of May without Mercury!

Andymac

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:31 pm

That graphic needs to carry on Freddie's line in a new colour keyed to "harp, vocals".
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:14 am

i saw 'the favourite' at the weekend. another film that was deeply unexceptional by best picture nominee standards but, i tell you what, rachel weisz has still got it :thumbl:

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:21 am

Gotta laugh at the woman stomping who can't wait to go out and buy it.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:01 pm

the flying pig wrote:i saw 'the favourite' at the weekend. another film that was deeply unexceptional by best picture nominee standards but, i tell you what, rachel weisz has still got it :thumbl:

Ahhh, in my younger days she was high on the list to be Lady Ponte.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 pm

the flying pig wrote:i saw 'the favourite' at the weekend. another film that was deeply unexceptional by best picture nominee standards but, i tell you what, rachel weisz has still got it :thumbl:

A fairly distant second in this film to Emma Stone IMO.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:15 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:

A fairly distant second in this film to Emma Stone IMO.

hardly fair to measure them like for like when weisz is the thick end of 20 yrs older. pound for pound [well, yr for yr], there's no comparison imo.

this said, stone is indeed not uneasy on the eye.

FER

Postby FER » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Dods wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:The Hobbit.
Pretty much as expected, lots and lots of trudgin' 'cross the tundra mile after mile, lots of silly fight scenes (The Stone Giants has to be the silliest ever), OTT sound effects and incidental music....
Looks fantastic of course, much the same as TLOTR, but fair enough, it's set in the same ecosphere so nowt wrong there I suppose.
Drags awfully at times with all that trudgin', though.
Bilbo Baggins as Arthur Dent was a very nice touch and worked really well for me, just about everybody else cardboard cut outs, Ian McKellen is mesmerising as Gandalf.
But too long and really very silly.
6/10.

I dont know why Gandalf didnt just get the eagles to fly them straight to where they want to go rather than drop them off hundreds if miles away. It would have made for a much shorter film without the need for parts 2 & 3. :scratch:

As you know, I tend to be quite far behind the times where watching films is concerned. Thusly, I watched The Hobbit t'other night. You know what? I actually enjoyed it! I haven't watched the LOTR films as I wanted to watch 'in order'. As mentioned above, there were moments when I said "Oh come the fuck on!" but quickly told myself that it didn't matter as it was part of the experience of the film, which made it easier to enjoy. However, also as mentioned, the fucking eagles!

8/10
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:55 pm

FER wrote:...As you know, I tend to be quite far behind the times where watching films is concerned. Thusly, I watched The Hobbit t'other night. You know what? I actually enjoyed it! I haven't watched the LOTR films as I wanted to watch 'in order'. As mentioned above, there were moments when I said "Oh come the fuck on!" but quickly told myself that it didn't matter as it was part of the experience of the film, which made it easier to enjoy. However, also as mentioned, the fucking eagles!

8/10

yeah, i mean, the eagles are problematic, for sure. 'deus ex machina' generally is a storytelling technique liable to fall flat even in the surest of hands.

i think, not unlike yer man the wizard gandalf, there's a pretty strong kind of christian vibe with the eagles whereby some or all of them are kind of angelic beings 'sent' to earth to do His work but bound by the limits imposed by their, uh, incarnacy, & possibly just plain not allowed to intervene too much. they're far from the strongest part of the compelling-ness of the whole story, clearly.

thought the hobbit films fairly dire, BTW :thumbl: .

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:42 pm

Can You Ever Forgive Me is excellent. Both Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant are great and the story is funny as well as touching. Woody Allen-ish in places too. Hope our Dick gets the Oscar nod.

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Green Book

Best screenplay I’ve seen (heard?) in a looooong time.

Outstanding.
I like it. What is it?

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:55 am

Devi wrote:Green Book

Best screenplay I’ve seen (heard?) in a looooong time.

Outstanding.

Don't tell Musta, when I said it was a very good movie I got a lecture on the all bad things that happened around that time in history. Yes I thought it was a great film, and who would have thought Aragon started out as a bouncer!
Andymac

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 pm

I watched Blue Velvet when it came out, at The Scala, early twenties and all that so I was quite impressionable I suppose. I think I held it up to be quite iconic.

It was on telly at the weekend and I only lasted about half way. There were very good bits, but it all seemed a bit cliched really. Disappointing.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:22 pm

London Fields.

First up I have to admit to having a problem with the source material. It followed Amis' genius "talent" novel Money.
Money was just about faultless and London Fields a huge disappointment. Rambling. About 100 pages too long and just that bit too far beyond believable. Some great moments, but ... nah.

The film doesn't do it justice. A poor book is turned into a dreadful film. Amis has to take the rap because he did the bloody screenplay, and even manages to squeeze himself on camera for a few seconds..
It's an attempt at noir and fails on all counts. The femme fatale is everything in noir, and Nicola Six is a parody here.
Cast is awful, Billy Bob Thornton struggles manfully to keep the script afloat, but there's nowt he can do. The rest just go down with the ship. Special mention to Jim Sturgess for a career-ending performance.
Direction flashy and garish... in all the wrong places.
Absolute disaster of a film. Not even worth it for the rubbernecking disaster ghouls.
Nul points.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:27 pm

Can't be arsed seeing if there's a TV thread but the box sets of 'Surviving R Kelly' and 'Leah Remini on Scientology The Aftermath' on Crime have had me glued.

What a pair of fcking class 1 Twats are Kelly and Misgaviage ..................And what a bunch of fcking Lemmings are the daft cunts that buy into the shyte,apart from the kids that is,you gotta feel for them.

Must see TV.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Oh and another great download from the BBC and can't wait for tonights finale is 'The defiant ones' on BBC4....superb stuff.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:21 pm

kennyb41 wrote:Can't be arsed seeing if there's a TV thread ...

Here you go Kenny: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3998&start=3140

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm

H'mmm many thanks,just the know how to transport them needed now.

To save the head battering I think i'll leave them here.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:32 am

the flying pig wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Tfp, was that clip representative of the standard of the acting and the writing? Does it ever rise above Les Dennis?

well, i mean, most of the bits that revolve around freddie's bandmates are more or less execrably bad - two of them at least [may & taylor, the ones whose portrayals do the most speaking in the clip above] were heavily invoved in the making and their 'side of the story' is very much pushed - the other bandmates, good solid family men [albeit with just enough of a rogueish side to make them all-round likeable], were the glue that held things together [and, they emphasise, providing no small part of the real inspiration rather than just solid graft], without them freddie's degeneracy [and, possibly implied, modest level of solo talent] would have forever held him back, back etc. this is done very blatantly - for quite a long part of the film freddie has left to 'go solo' [something that i'm not sure happened in the same way at all in real life], seeking, they say, to emulate michael jackson's successful departure from his brothers' band, but is too busy hoovering up marching powder from a succession of well-used hollywood recta to produce anything even halfway worthwhile. but then within seemingly minutes of returning to the fold the old magic is back & he's producing the most famous live performance ever.

the film is imo overall saved to being pretty decent by other features, most notably the mercury actor, who does a really great job of capturing some of what made him such a, uh, charming fellow, and just, y'know, the way they [sometimes] capture the feel of the era in terms of live aid etc.

but best picture? never ever.

Watched this last night. Agree is far from the best picture but I thoroughly enjoyed it. As a Queen fan it doesn’t disappoint.
I may have to watch it again as I didn’t think his solo stint took up that much of the film :scratch:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:29 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”