Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:48 am

The Favourite is as good as I was led to expect, sumptuous and almost every line is arch if not openly funny. Colman her best, all eyes brimming with tears and sucking them back in again, fantastic costumes and location, fish eye lens work to fit in all the splendour. Worth a trip.

And dinner was good too. Win win.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:26 pm

interesting that 'bird-box' has had 45 million views, which for netflix is a pretty big deal, but their profit figures are down. i must admit i thought it was quite good, if not my sort of thing and i fell asleep during it. the reason it's interesting to me is that my mate was the editor on it, it was his first big 'hollywood' gig after winning a bafta for 'the night manager' where he was the last editor not to get saceked by oscar winning director susan bier.

anyway, fuck the 45 million viewers, my opinion has been based on your reviews.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Devi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:06 am

Finally got round to I, Daniel Blake.

Ooof.
I like it. What is it?

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Andymac-47 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:01 am

Quiffy wrote:interesting that 'bird-box' has had 45 million views, which for netflix is a pretty big deal, but their profit figures are down. i must admit i thought it was quite good, if not my sort of thing and i fell asleep during it. the reason it's interesting to me is that my mate was the editor on it, it was his first big 'hollywood' gig after winning a bafta for 'the night manager' where he was the last editor not to get saceked by oscar winning director susan bier.

anyway, fuck the 45 million viewers, my opinion has been based on your reviews.


Hi Quiffy, anyway, you have got me confused. You say it was quite good but you fell asleep, what would you have said about it if you had of stayed awake through the whole shite-fest....? :lol: :lol: :lol:
P.S. Nice name drop...!
Andymac

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Quiffy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Quite good = couldn't be arsed to rewatch, but as someone who doesn't like sandra bullock I was quite pleased to get over halfway before age caught up with me.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Quiffy wrote:Quite good = couldn't be arsed to rewatch, but as someone who doesn't like sandra bullock I was quite pleased to get over halfway before age caught up with me.


How dare you. I was obsessed with Bullock for a period of many years post Demolition Man. :bounce:
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:26 pm

MightyWhite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:Quite good = couldn't be arsed to rewatch, but as someone who doesn't like sandra bullock I was quite pleased to get over halfway before age caught up with me.


How dare you. I was obsessed with Bullock for a period of many years post Demolition Man. :bounce:


To be fair, there's less of the original left these days.

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Andymac-47 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:21 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
MightyWhite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:Quite good = couldn't be arsed to rewatch, but as someone who doesn't like sandra bullock I was quite pleased to get over halfway before age caught up with me.


How dare you. I was obsessed with Bullock for a period of many years post Demolition Man. :bounce:


To be fair, there's less of the original left these days.


Yip, she looks like a white Michael Jackson shamon!
Andymac

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Quiffy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:14 pm

MightyWhite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:Quite good = couldn't be arsed to rewatch, but as someone who doesn't like sandra bullock I was quite pleased to get over halfway before age caught up with me.


How dare you. I was obsessed with Bullock for a period of many years post Demolition Man. :bounce:

my mate found her a bit controlling. he's got her number, literally. :D

i just don't find her an engaging actor, i felt no sympathy to her character.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Andymac-47 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Your words are brilliant Quiffy.
Andymac

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Just been for a Satdee morning pictures session - Stan & Ollie.
Excellent movie. Both leads superb; both supporting actors [playing their wives] wonderful. Very touching tale.
Coogan may well be a bit of a cunt, but he is very entertaining in everything he does.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Blackwhite wrote:The Favourite is as good as I was led to expect, sumptuous and almost every line is arch if not openly funny. Colman her best, all eyes brimming with tears and sucking them back in again, fantastic costumes and location, fish eye lens work to fit in all the splendour.


I agree. Exquisitely constructed beautiful film: script; acting; lighting; music; cinematography all superb. Not one of those films that stays with you forever or anything, just very good.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:The Favourite is as good as I was led to expect, sumptuous and almost every line is arch if not openly funny. Colman her best, all eyes brimming with tears and sucking them back in again, fantastic costumes and location, fish eye lens work to fit in all the splendour.


I agree. Exquisitely constructed beautiful film: script; acting; lighting; music; cinematography all superb. Not one of those films that stays with you forever or anything, just very good.

Been avoiding this one so far.
Everything I've read about it and the clips I've seen make me think I'll be resisting the urge to chuck stuff at the screen after 10 minutes.
Mebbe I'm wrong, I'll give it a try.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Been avoiding this one so far.
Everything I've read about it and the clips I've seen make me think I'll be resisting the urge to chuck stuff at the screen after 10 minutes.
Mebbe I'm wrong, I'll give it a try.


Well, put it this way, Mrs O can’t abide period anything, Downton and all that. But she thought it was good, too.

If there was one glitch on further reflection, Nicholas Hoult seemed like a miscasting. But that’s about all.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:24 am

The Vanishing.
Shit title for a very decent little low budget film. (Starting to think that the lower the budget the better the film as a rule).
Based on a true story about three lighthouse keepers on a remote Scottish island who mysteriously disappeared in 1900. It's updated to happen in the 50s which actually works well.
The setting of a lighthouse on a small island automatically produces a sense of claustrophobia and the direction makes full use of it. Lots of hand held and Steadicam.
The three main actors are all good, especially the oldest of the three very different characters. Loads of understated tension between the three.
The plot goes along nicely , starts slowly but picks up speed early on, and there's plenty of twists and turns that aren't the usual brick-through-the-window stuff.

Enough to keep the interest til the end. Great ending leaves you satisfied with the story. Really enjoyed it.

Cracking little film, worth the entrance.
7.5
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:36 am

Mustafaster wrote:The Vanishing.
Shit title for a very decent little low budget film. (Starting to think that the lower the budget the better the film as a rule).
Based on a true story about three lighthouse keepers on a remote Scottish island who mysteriously disappeared in 1900. It's updated to happen in the 50s which actually works well.
The setting of a lighthouse on a small island automatically produces a sense of claustrophobia and the direction makes full use of it. Lots of hand held and Steadicam.
The three main actors are all good, especially the oldest of the three very different characters. Loads of understated tension between the three.
The plot goes along nicely , starts slowly but picks up speed early on, and there's plenty of twists and turns that aren't the usual brick-through-the-window stuff.

Enough to keep the interest til the end. Great ending leaves you satisfied with the story. Really enjoyed it.

Cracking little film, worth the entrance.
7.5


Cinema or TV or online?

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:57 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:The Vanishing.
Shit title for a very decent little low budget film. (Starting to think that the lower the budget the better the film as a rule).
Based on a true story about three lighthouse keepers on a remote Scottish island who mysteriously disappeared in 1900. It's updated to happen in the 50s which actually works well.
The setting of a lighthouse on a small island automatically produces a sense of claustrophobia and the direction makes full use of it. Lots of hand held and Steadicam.
The three main actors are all good, especially the oldest of the three very different characters. Loads of understated tension between the three.
The plot goes along nicely , starts slowly but picks up speed early on, and there's plenty of twists and turns that aren't the usual brick-through-the-window stuff.

Enough to keep the interest til the end. Great ending leaves you satisfied with the story. Really enjoyed it.

Cracking little film, worth the entrance.
7.5


Cinema or TV or online?

Local arthouse wot does VO now and again.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:30 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:The Vanishing.
Shit title for a very decent little low budget film. (Starting to think that the lower the budget the better the film as a rule).
Based on a true story about three lighthouse keepers on a remote Scottish island who mysteriously disappeared in 1900. It's updated to happen in the 50s which actually works well.
The setting of a lighthouse on a small island automatically produces a sense of claustrophobia and the direction makes full use of it. Lots of hand held and Steadicam.
The three main actors are all good, especially the oldest of the three very different characters. Loads of understated tension between the three.
The plot goes along nicely , starts slowly but picks up speed early on, and there's plenty of twists and turns that aren't the usual brick-through-the-window stuff.

Enough to keep the interest til the end. Great ending leaves you satisfied with the story. Really enjoyed it.

Cracking little film, worth the entrance.
7.5


Cinema or TV or online?

Local arthouse wot does VO now and again.


Seems like we have to wait until March over here. The trailer also suggests it's my kind of thing.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Anyway... A Quiet Place.
The 13-year-old daughter chose it to watch on TV over the weekend, so we all did. What a load of shite.

These alien monsters, then - they can't fucking see or [apparently] smell, but can hear really well. So how'd they fucking get here in the first place? [Maybe their carer dropped 'em off in his flying saucer?]

Spoiler!
And if they have such a problem with feedback or whatever it is they're sensitive to, where were all the scientists who'd have discovered this right from the off and blown their fucking heads apart?
And the mum and dad decide to have another baby at a time when the world is upside down with killer aliens everywhere? Fuck off.
And then the baby hardly ever cries.
And why didn't they set up home near the waterfall, if it's so noisy it disguises their movements?
Oh, and they kill the first one with a shotgun. Great.


It suppose did have a few nice 'jumpy'/tense bits, but I really do hate these movies when the set-up is something so fucking unbelievable that it feels like you're just watching a board game with poorly thought-out rules. See, for example, Bird Box.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:11 pm

This is the soft/hard sci-fi preference point.


Like it good'n'hard myself, and preferably proper dirty.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], LSD&2Es and 3 guests