Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
My grandad was from Leeds

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby My grandad was from Leeds » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Just watching Gravity (in 2D, on telly). Bloody awful. The whole constantly rotating camera angle shit is immensely irritating, the science is bollocks and it just blathers on and on.

Had the misfortune to see this a while back.Definately heard someone say "was it really shot in outer space?"

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Bit of advise. I have never seen the original Bladerunner, in its entirety as I just could not get into it. So my question is, do I need to sit through the original before I watch the new one?
Andymac

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Anyone!
Andymac

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:42 pm

Nonessential imo. It's a sequel but stands alone perfectly well. The action takes place forty years after the first so it's mostly carried by new characters.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Not seen it mate, sorry.

Love the first and TBH if pushed I'd say yes on that basis: how the hell will you know who's who/what's going on? :scratch:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Many thanks. Now I am really torn....... :shock:
Andymac

SmithyHK

Postby SmithyHK » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:Many thanks. Now I am really torn....... :shock:

Sacrilege! One of me favourite movies you’re talking about here!

The original stood out for portraying a truly dark, cross-cultural dystopian future with all its man-made fuck ups intact. Sneaked in to watch it in 1982, a 14 year old starting to get out an about in South London. The movie’s release came a few years after the first Star War movies, and seemed perfectly timed for my life, then. Ghost Town hadn’t long left the charts, think the first Brixton riot kicked off about a year before, and the Falklands War was winding down - if that helps rekindle the Maggie era zeitgeist.

The film carried a sweeping scale without needing to leave planet Earth, or introduce alien jazz bands. Though not my taste in music at the time, even the Vangelis soundtrack was epic, helping cement the surreal impact when first watching a massive blimp broadcasting Geisha girl adverts pass Harrison Ford, eating his noodles. Far fetched, flying cars, laser guns, but still a shitty planet where man’s most advanced creation was hunted down and killed for money, even though it was asking the right questions and showing more humanity than humans themselves. Seemed a more believable kind of Science Fiction to me, and therefore more possible.

Not sure half of that sank in at the time. just thought it was ace...

Don’t think you need to re-watch the original or recall it’s detail to appreciate the sequel, so long as you can remember the premise would be enough. The new one’s good - decent cast, storyline and loyal to the noir detective style. Great effects, cityscapes, soundtrack too. Enjoyed it, but it does run pretty long. But try the original again - any version without Ford’s narrative running over the top - cos it’s still really good, evan a bit dated after 35 odd years.
Death to the Unbelievers

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:24 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Not seen it mate, sorry.

Love the first and TBH if pushed I'd say yes on that basis: how the hell will you know who's who/what's going on? :scratch:

This. Also, if you hated the first, what makes you think you'll enjoy the 2nd? I'm led to believe they've done a good job on overall styling.

Go watch the original, on repeat, until you get round to liking it :thumbl: .

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:Anyone!

See, if you’re patient, people like Smiffy turn up and tell you wot you need to know.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 pm

SmithyHK wrote:
Andymac-47 wrote:Many thanks. Now I am really torn....... :shock:

Sacrilege! One of me favourite movies you’re talking about here!

The original stood out for portraying a truly dark, cross-cultural dystopian future with all its man-made fuck ups intact. Sneaked in to watch it in 1982, a 14 year old starting to get out an about in South London. The movie’s release came a few years after the first Star War movies, and seemed perfectly timed for my life, then. Ghost Town hadn’t long left the charts, think the first Brixton riot kicked off about a year before, and the Falklands War was winding down - if that helps rekindle the Maggie era zeitgeist.

The film carried a sweeping scale without needing to leave planet Earth, or introduce alien jazz bands. Though not my taste in music at the time, even the Vangelis soundtrack was epic, helping cement the surreal impact when first watching a massive blimp broadcasting Geisha girl adverts pass Harrison Ford, eating his noodles. Far fetched, flying cars, laser guns, but still a shitty planet where man’s most advanced creation was hunted down and killed for money, even though it was asking the right questions and showing more humanity than humans themselves. Seemed a more believable kind of Science Fiction to me, and therefore more possible.

Not sure half of that sank in at the time. just thought it was ace...

Don’t think you need to re-watch the original or recall it’s detail to appreciate the sequel, so long as you can remember the premise would be enough. The new one’s good - decent cast, storyline and loyal to the noir detective style. Great effects, cityscapes, soundtrack too. Enjoyed it, but it does run pretty long. But try the original again - any version without Ford’s narrative running over the top - cos it’s still really good, evan a bit dated after 35 odd years.

Cheers all, especially after your speech Smithy. Putting the original on now.
Andymac

SmithyHK

Postby SmithyHK » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:43 am

Andymac-47 wrote:Cheers all, especially after your speech Smithy. Putting the original on now.

Geezer! :salute:
Death to the Unbelievers

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:05 am

And the Oscar goes to Sam Rockwell, for 3 Billboards!
Andymac

Dale White

Postby Dale White » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 am

Dunkirk, great tells more of the spitfire pilots story who where trying to protect the ships, 8/10.
FUCK OFF BATES !!!

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:27 pm

AndyPaul wrote:Saw Grimsby the other day (the film not the town)

It's exactly what you'd expect from Sacha Baron Coen. Childish and daft humour. If you like his stuff you'll like this, if you can't stand him then don't bother.

One scene in particular I was crying with laughter.

it's puerile, ridiculous, quite disgusting but pissing funny. i had to turn my kids away from the telly before the elephant scene. :lol:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 pm

The Shape of Water.

Del Toro science fiction rehash of Beauty and the Beast.

Del Toro is very much a love or hate film maker.

Personally I really like him.

As always it looks fantastic, 50s/60s ambience bang on the money.

Nice touch with the female lead a mute.

Shannon is a great panto villain.

Nothing ground breaking but an entertaining couple of hours.

7.5/10
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Anyone seen Room?

Not particularly easy viewing, and we watched it when neither of us were particularly in the zone for that kind of film. Came away thinking it's actually a very good film, but I didn't really enjoy watching it. The kid actor playing Jack, Jacob Tremblay, is incredible. On a critical level I'd give that about a 7.5/10, too.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:28 pm

Laughed my way through The Guard last night. Gleesons one liners are brilliant.
Andymac

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:Laughed my way through The Guard last night. Gleesons one liners are brilliant.

Cracking movie, that.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Three Billboards is outstanding. Couple of slightly hokey plot points towards the end which meant I’d say 9.2/10 but otherwise brilliant.

Frances McDormand should be a shoe-in for an Oscar.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:25 pm

For those if you with Netflix - hunt for the wilderpeople

Kiwi film, troubled kid from the ghetto gets placed for fostering with old couple in the country. Sam Neil plays a grumpy old man really well, some of the deadpan humour reminded me of early Peter Jackson.

A heartwarming comedy that gets a bit silly, but in a good way, solid 7!
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Return to “The Square Ball”