Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Phil LUFC

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Thor Ragnarok :salute:

We're about 15 films in now with the whole Marvel cinematic universe and that seemingly means they can do anything they want and get away with it especially when they're not set on earth. Highly entertaining, more funny moments than GotG2.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:38 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Thor Ragnarok :salute:

We're about 15 films in now with the whole Marvel cinematic universe and that seemingly means they can do anything they want and get away with it especially when they're not set on earth. Highly entertaining, more funny moments than GotG2.

I thought it was excellent. One of the few times I have been happy to watch a film in 3D and some genuinely laugh out loud moments.
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Just caught up with Baby Driver, liked it a lot. Am a sucker for a good car chase and decent music and this is both, but not a lot else. Quite fancy a double bill of this and Free Fire. No thoughts to be provoked just lots of fun.

Also watched Allen Covenant, which was somehow even more ridiculously shit than Prometheus. Just quit, Ridley. Really.

Even Wonder Woman was better (yeah,I know, but that chick is extremely hot). Enjoyed it despite myself. Robin Wright still gives me the ragin' 'orn an'all. Ending's shit (was expecting a verse or two of Ebony and Ivory) but who'll care about that when these movies will still be plopping out at the heat death of the universe...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Being 'forced' to make up a four to see Murder On The Orient Express tonight. Really don't fancy it. Can't see the point of its existence, tbh. Eldest daughter has already told me it's shite.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:31 pm

I had really wanted to go see The Killing Of A Sacred Deer but, given recent events, I suspect the dysfunctional families theme is one it's best to swerve.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I had really wanted to go see The Killing Of A Sacred Deer but, given recent events, I suspect the dysfunctional families theme is one it's best to swerve.

I've decided I'm going to watch his movies in order, but watch them all. Dogtooth had me interested but I never made it (overruns as fucking ever).
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:30 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Being 'forced' to make up a four to see Murder On The Orient Express tonight. Really don't fancy it. Can't see the point of its existence, tbh. Eldest daughter has already told me it's shite.

Ha, I went to see that with the missus last week (being a nice guy as I usually choose the film).
My god it's shit. It's like the original but with less to think about. Really fucking bad.
A fella at the side of me was snoring.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:56 pm

PReview not review: Deadpool 2.

Keep your pants dry and your dreams wet.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:34 am

Tommy

Film Review Thread

Postby Tommy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:21 am

James Adomian is in it too. He’s one of those rare Peter Sellers level geniuses you get once in a lifetime. Incredible improviser and impersonator.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:29 am

Tommy wrote:James Adomian is in it too. He’s one of those rare Peter Sellers level geniuses you get once in a lifetime. Incredible improviser and impersonator.

Cheers, will keep an eye out for him. Not aware of him at all TBH.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:32 am

Detroit.
Catherine Bigelow film based on the '67 Detroit riots and the Algiers Motel incident.
Dunno how many of you know anything about this. I have a guitarist mate from Detroit who gave me the book a few years ago. Truly shocking what blacks had to withstand only 50 years ago and it's impossible to understand black music without knowing a bit about conditions in America at the time.
1967 was the summer of love for a few rich white kids, for blacks it was another different thing.

So, the film.
It concentrates largely on the singer of The Dramatics, an up and coming Motown act who found themselves caught up in the incident, so the music has a permanent low-key presence.
The very young cast is fine, especially the deranged cop at the centre of it all.
It clocks in at just short of 2:30, which is usually at least 15 minutes too much for me.
In this case it's not a problem. Bigelow does a superb job of slowly ratcheting up the tension as the madness grows. You're gripped all the way.
Second part is a courtroom drama as the cops go on trial. Again very well done,.
Bigelow is a fine director. She handles tension as well as anyone. It's all done with the camera and the actors' faces, not growling diminished chords on the lower strings.
Splendid film up with the best of the year

8/10.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Detroit.
Catherine Bigelow film based on the '67 Detroit riots and the Algiers Motel incident.
Dunno how many of you know anything about this. I have a guitarist mate from Detroit who gave me the book a few years ago. Truly shocking what blacks had to withstand only 50 years ago and it's impossible to understand black music without knowing a bit about conditions in America at the time.
1967 was the summer of love for a few rich white kids, for blacks it was another different thing.

So, the film.
It concentrates largely on the singer of The Dramatics, an up and coming Motown act who found themselves caught up in the incident, so the music has a permanent low-key presence.
The very young cast is fine, especially the deranged cop at the centre of it all.
It clocks in at just short of 2:30, which is usually at least 15 minutes too much for me.
In this case it's not a problem. Bigelow does a superb job of slowly ratcheting up the tension as the madness grows. You're gripped all the way.
Second part is a courtroom drama as the cops go on trial. Again very well done,.
Bigelow is a fine director. She handles tension as well as anyone. It's all done with the camera and the actors' faces, not growling diminished chords on the lower strings.

8/10.

I do realise it's not the main point of your review, Musta, but being a picky fucker... Dramatics were from Detroit but never really a Motown act. They were originally signed to Wingate [when initially known as The Dynamics] and only kind-of had owt to do with Motown when Gordy bought out Golden World/Wingate to crush Ed Wingate's rival business. Thereafter they fucked off to another little label and by '71 were on Stax, where they had most of their biggest hits. I know, I know... trainspotty nonsense. I'll apologise now to save you any effort. :D

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:01 pm

So, the film.

8/10.

Agreed
Andymac

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Watched, sorry laughed my way through "Logan Lucky" last night. Another solid 8/10
Andymac

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:08 pm

dirty leeds wrote:

So, the film.

8/10.

I do realise it's not the main point of your review, Musta, but being a picky fucker... Dramatics were from Detroit but never really a Motown act. They were originally signed to Wingate [when initially known as The Dynamics] and only kind-of had owt to do with Motown when Gordy bought out Golden World/Wingate to crush Ed Wingate's rival business. Thereafter they fucked off to another little label and by '71 were on Stax, where they had most of their biggest hits. I know, I know... trainspotty nonsense. I'll apologise now to save you any effort. :D

I stand corrected ya pedantic fuckpig.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:31 pm

dirty leeds wrote:

So, the film.

8/10.

Well played Sir, we’ll have no fake news on this forum.
Jokes about communism are not funny unless everyone gets them

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Good time to post this, I feel:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 am

Mother!
Quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen.
Tries to be an art-house rehash of Rosemary's Baby and fails epically.
Should have given up after 10 mins when it was obvious what was happening, the use of wobbly, hand-held cams for fuckin everything and the brick-through-the-window soundtrack, both intensely annoying, but you know how it is, you sort of get drawn into the fuckwittery. Rubbernecking at the train wreck.
0/10.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Just watching Gravity (in 2D, on telly). Bloody awful. The whole constantly rotating camera angle shit is immensely irritating, the science is bollocks and it just blathers on and on.

Return to “The Square Ball”