Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Limehouse Golem is pretty decent.
Bill Nighy is about the best actor currently working imo. The rest of the cast are very good.
It looks exactly like an Atkinson Grimshaw painting brought to life. Ace.

https://goo.gl/images/yaywmE
The use of Wm Blake's Ghost of a Flea as a trope for the Golem a nice touch.
https://goo.gl/images/NTGHgr

I read the book back in the day, so knew the twist at the end. Dunno if it was predictable, others are better placed to judge.
Really well paced, never drags.
Solid 7.5/10.

Ah right, wasn't really meaning to aim this at anyone in particular [since three others have mentioned they liked it], but since you brought up the 'twist' thing, yeah, I spotted it well early on and was disappointed to find out I was right.
As for the rest of the film, I like Bill too and it all looked very nice etc, but overall I was a bit disappointed. Kinda felt like a well funded version of a TV series thing, like, say, Ripper Street or Whitechapel. I watched it at home on the TV and thought it suited the setting - very much a 'Sunday night at home' watch.
Coincidentally, Mrs DL's best mate has written some novels in the last three years, a series set back in the old music hall days, with a youngish lass called Kitty Peck [a bit like the female lead in Golem] inheriting some East End gangland throne and having to investigate a few murders and suchlike along the way. It was interesting how many similar characters to those in her books cropped up in Golem. Or, perhaps more accurately, t'other way round. [No idea if she'd read it.]

Munson

Postby Munson » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:43 am

I always thought that Blade Runner was one of those classics that didn't need a remake or a sequel, and should be left alone, but heard quite positive things about the efforts gone into not fkig this up (while avoiding too much detail/spoliers) and keen to go see it.

Any thoughts on the best format to see it on (dolby/imax)?

FER

Postby FER » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:14 am

I haven't seen Blade Runner.

I don't know what else to say... sorry.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Gents, I'm trying to avoid spoilers as I might go see it, but not yet...

Thanks.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Yeah, I watched the new blade runner. It was good. Looked amazing, I dread to think what the budget was, hope they get it back, very brave to splash all that out on a sequel to a 35 year old semi flop that relatively few people saw in the actual cinema. Plot reasonably satisfying too. I liked it as a sequel, properly had its own plot, joining up with the original in reasonably subtle and satisfying ways. Definitely overlong, anything over 2h is almost always a bad thing and this went over 2h30. Overall of l I'd give it eight or so out of ten.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Just seen Blade Runner. Echo the above positive reviews. Liked the slow pace, looked great, nice robot totty..

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Went to see the new Blade Runner Saturday night, really enjoyed it. I was a fan of the orginal and found the new one very enjoyable, probably a bit too long though. The pace is slow but didn't suffer for it, very atmospheric. Wife nearly fell asleep towards the end :roll:
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:54 pm

dirty leeds wrote:...nice robot totty..

Jesus, that hologram. I badly want one for Christmas.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:14 pm

the flying pig wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:...nice robot totty..

Jesus, that hologram. I badly want one for Christmas.

Especially taken with the 'off' switch. :mrgreen:

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:11 am

Trailer for star wars episode 24 or whatever it is .

I liked rogue one a lot but the main series is starting to look like butter scraped over too much bread imo. Maybe just my age...

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 am

the flying pig wrote:Trailer for star wars episode 24 or whatever it is .

I liked rogue one a lot but the main series is starting to look like butter scraped over too much bread imo. Maybe just my age...

Erm, this is meant in the nicest possible way...fuck off :thumbl:

Anyway, just booked tickets for 14th December. Not paid in advance for the 3D glasses as I am pretty sure I will be able to buy Star Wars ones on the night :cheers:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:56 am

Ponte wrote:...just booked tickets for 14th December. Not paid in advance for the 3D glasses as I am pretty sure I will be able to buy Star Wars ones on the night :cheers:

:roll:

a chum has recently invested in one of these for christmas, perhaps you should follow suit.

https://www.merchoid.com/product/star-w ... vcQAvD_BwE

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:08 am

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 am

the flying pig wrote:I liked rogue one a lot

Yeah that was my annual trip to the cinema last year and I was impressed. Quite amazing that Disney were willing to put their name on that. Bleak as fuck even if you knew going in what had to happen.

Interesting to note that Disney are passing over 4k as a medium.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 am

the flying pig wrote:
Ponte wrote:...just booked tickets for 14th December. Not paid in advance for the 3D glasses as I am pretty sure I will be able to buy Star Wars ones on the night :cheers:

:roll:

a chum has recently invested in one of these for christmas, perhaps you should follow suit.

https://www.merchoid.com/product/star-w ... vcQAvD_BwE

I don't need another...
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:33 pm

Just flicked over to a Nic Cage film I’d never heard of: Left Behind. In situations where there’s a clear smell of turkey, the wife and I try to guess the score on Rotten Tomatoes, and we both said somewhere in the 30s I think.

It’s actually 2%. This is incredible - I just don’t understand how it’s possible to make a film this terrible. I’m sort of hooked.

Terre Harte

Postby Terre Harte » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:46 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Just flicked over to a Nic Cage film I’d never heard of: Left Behind. In situations where there’s a clear smell of turkey, the wife and I try to guess the score on Rotten Tomatoes, and we both said somewhere in the 30s I think.

It’s actually 2%. This is incredible - I just don’t understand how it’s possible to make a film this terrible. I’m sort of hooked.

Left Behind was a series of books from the 2000s that were spank material for the fundamentalist Christian set over here. Rapture fantasies seem to get their rocks off.

Never seen it. Heard it's abysmal.
"If you sell the refrigerator to buy the beer, where the fuck do you put the beer?"

"You'll never be Emperor of the North Pole, kid. You had the juice, kid, but not the heart and they go together."

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:04 am

It’s undeniable proof of the non-existence of God. No rational God could ever allow something so unbelievably bad to be made in His name.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 am

AndyPaul wrote:Split.

Good film, worth a watch. A big fan of McAvoy and he's excellent in this. I was a bit concerned with it being M Night Shylamans film but he kept it one the right side of weird, just.

Finally watched this at the weekend. Very good film. You saying on the right side of weird, just ~ sums it up well. It was very fucking weird but made sense. McAvoy was superb, a lesson for any actor.

Looking forward to Glass, which will be a follow up to both this and Unbreakable.
Hmmm.

Tommy

Film Review Thread

Postby Tommy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:18 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Just flicked over to a Nic Cage film I’d never heard of: Left Behind. In situations where there’s a clear smell of turkey, the wife and I try to guess the score on Rotten Tomatoes, and we both said somewhere in the 30s I think.

Previous lass and I would deliberately watch every Nic Cage film on Netflix precisely because they are guaranteed to be amusingly shit. It actually became an event when a new one would appear. I’m assuming it’s some combination of needing the money/not knowing what else to do with his life.

I should say that NC is good to superb in Wild At Heart, Raising Arizona, Moonstruck, Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation and Herzog’s Bad Lieutenant II. He can do it when he’s given the right role but overwhelmingly he appears in absolute shite.

Return to “The Square Ball”