Film Review Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:12 pm

Baby Driver is everything you'd expect from an Edgar Wright film, but it's a good un.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Watched a thing called Prisoners with, remarkably, quite decent performances from both Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. Classic one of those three-hours-plus bastards that could easily have lost an hour in editing and been a better film though.

MightyWhite

Film Review Thread

Postby MightyWhite » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:57 pm

Went to see IT last night.

For the uninitiated it'll serve as an above average jump fest, what with the Stranger Things/Goonies/Stand By Me-esque element of a group of kids in a period setting adding a good dose of substance to proceedings.

For those, like me, who love the book and were of an age to see past the shiteness of the original TV miniseries and be emotionally scarred by Tim Curry's Pennywise, you'll absolutely love it. Stays as faithful to the original as it possibly can. Runs for 2 hours, which is a bit long for a horror, but never at any point felt it was dragging. 8/10

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:53 pm

The Limehouse Golem

Very enjoyable twisty Victorian thriller set amongst the sleazy amoral characters and vice in the theatreland of old LondonTown.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:07 am

MightyWhite wrote:Went to see IT last night.

For the uninitiated it'll serve as an above average jump fest, what with the Stranger Things/Goonies/Stand By Me-esque element of a group of kids in a period setting adding a good dose of substance to proceedings.

For those, like me, who love the book and were of an age to see past the shiteness of the original TV miniseries and be emotionally scarred by Tim Curry's Pennywise, you'll absolutely love it. Stays as faithful to the original as it possibly can. Runs for 2 hours, which is a bit long for a horror, but never at any point felt it was dragging. 8/10

Never read the book or saw the original film but went to see IT at the weekend and it works well. Good film, soiled myself a few times.

Find it's so easy to make a bad horror film but this pulled it off.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:46 am

Over the past few weeks I have been to see -

The Gunslinger - adaptation of the series of books by Stephen King with Idris Elba. I enjoyed it although any resemblance to the books was fairly superficial.

The Hitmans Bodyguard - it made me laugh a fair few times Samuel L Jackson played Samuel L Jackson again.

Limehouse Golem - A thoroughly decent film. I love the history of the Victorian times so a play on the ripper based in voctorian play houses was always going to be a good film to me.

IT - as much a coming of age film with the youngsters starting to grow up as it is a horror and I still hate clowns
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:The Limehouse Golem

Very enjoyable twisty Victorian thriller set amongst the sleazy amoral characters and vice in the theatreland of old LondonTown.

Agreed.
Andymac

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Saw Dunkirk at the Showcase at Junction 27. Never been to the XPlus experience so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a big screen with Dolby Atmos.
The music and effects were so loud it near burst my ear drums. I couldn't concentrate on the film, which was so so, and I nearly walked out. What is this preoccupation with noise? Isn't a film supposed to be about words and images?

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Tycipa wrote:Saw Dunkirk at the Showcase at Junction 27. Never been to the XPlus experience so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a big screen with Dolby Atmos.
The music and effects were so loud it near burst my ear drums. I couldn't concentrate on the film, which was so so, and I nearly walked out. What is this preoccupation with noise? Isn't a film supposed to be about words and images?

I like the XPlus, good screen and I love the sound quality. Also the seats at Showcase now are fucking ace.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Maybe it's just my old ears that can't take the strain! Seats, as you say though, dead comfy.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:07 pm

Tycipa wrote:Maybe it's just my old ears that can't take the strain! Seats, as you say though, dead comfy.

That's wot matters in the end though innit.
Forget character development and plot continuity and that bullshit. That's important when you're watching stuff at home.
In the cinema it's all about comfy seats and legroom.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Tycipa wrote:Maybe it's just my old ears that can't take the strain! Seats, as you say though, dead comfy.

That's wot matters in the end though innit.
Forget character development and plot continuity and that bullshit. That's important when you're watching stuff at home.
In the cinema it's all about comfy seats and legroom.

Has WW hacked your account? :mrgreen:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:51 am

A new cinema opened in Lewes recently and it's amazing. Basically a community group got together, organised funding and then bought a derelict building and refurbished it, extended it etc. There's three screens, one full 4K, massive seats, take your drinks in. The biggest can't be more than 75 seats. They're showing a mix of blockbusters (usually a couple of weeks late), art house and classics - Rain Man is on a couple of nights this week. There's quite a decent restaurant / cafe / bar so people are going there just to drink and eat too.

They're set up as a charity but I'm buggered if I can see how their funding model stacks up. It can't have cost them much less than £10m to do the building up and even big stuff like Dunkirk is rarely full. Still, as long as it's here it's great.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:52 am

Limehouse Golem is pretty decent.
Bill Nighy is about the best actor currently working imo. The rest of the cast are very good.
It looks exactly like an Atkinson Grimshaw painting brought to life. Ace.

https://goo.gl/images/yaywmE
The use of Wm Blake's Ghost of a Flea as a trope for the Golem a nice touch.
https://goo.gl/images/NTGHgr

I read the book back in the day, so knew the twist at the end. Dunno if it was predictable, others are better placed to judge.
Really well paced, never drags.
Solid 7.5/10.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Mustafaster wrote:It looks exactly like an Atkinson Grimshaw painting brought to life. Ace.

This is music to my ears. I will check it oot.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:46 pm

47 Meters Down.
Shite.
Andymac

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:07 pm

never bothered to watch ted 2 at the cinema due to the moderate reviews, then it turns up on netflix.

it's puerile and it's very funny. there are more non-sequiturs like you get in family guy than the original, all good, mark wahlberg is incredibly likeable. highly recommended for other infant brained adults.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

FER

Postby FER » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am

Phil LUFC wrote:The Amazing Spider-Man: They took their time in sending us this one hence why I'm more than a bit late to the party! Thought it was better than the Toby Maguire ones in almost every way, quite enjoyed the humour too but it did lose its way in places. It felt more "real" (in as much as is possible given the material) than previous efforts but Batman Begins/The Dark Knight is still the best for comic book films in that regard.

Quoted from 2013, but watched this for the first time last night.

I quite enjoyed it for what it was 7/10.

Saying that, it took fucking ages to get going and I think it could have had a lot more action. I've not seen any Spidey movies so can't comment on the Maguire versions. I thought The Lizard was a fucking stupid villain and Peter Parker came across as so fucking young/green. The love interest didn't even get her kit off either. Additional bonus: Mrs FER is shit scared of spiders so it was nice to see her cowering behind a cushion for most of the film :mrgreen:

I understand there's a sequel. Anyone seen it?
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

emtee

Postby emtee » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 am

loved the new kingsman film. its like bond b4 they forgot what fun is

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:37 pm

emtee wrote:loved the new kingsman film. its like bond b4 they forgot what fun is

Agree, it's fun, daft and knows it. Well worth a watch!

Return to “The Square Ball”