dirty leeds

Re: Film Review Thread

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:33 pm

Phwooaarr!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:42 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Phwooaarr!

Now you get why those invisible fucking dinosaurs full of jellyfish DNA got me so aireated... *detumesces just thinking about it*
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

FER

Postby FER » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Solo was really enjoyable too but could have been much better - I felt they could have done a lot with the imperial academy storyline and wasn't really convinced with how the kessel run played out. Lando seemed better cast than Han in terms of linking the characters to the original actors.

Watched this over the weekend and actually really enjoyed it. Much better than Rogue One, and totally with you on the Kessel Run bit.

8/10
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 pm

FER wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Solo was really enjoyable too but could have been much better - I felt they could have done a lot with the imperial academy storyline and wasn't really convinced with how the kessel run played out. Lando seemed better cast than Han in terms of linking the characters to the original actors.

Watched this over the weekend and actually really enjoyed it. Much better than Rogue One, and totally with you on the Kessel Run bit.

8/10

Jesus, really? Thought it was massively inferior to Rogue One, crowd-pleasing bollocks, so expositional and "oh, so that's how that happened..." that they may as well have made it a fucking musical with Broadway kickline dance numbers. ("Oh no! It's a Wookie/Let's hope he doesn't want nooo-kiieee...")

One of the dumbest movies I saw last year (and I also saw The Last Jedi, another broken promise...).

Horses/courses.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:22 pm

i liked solo, really.

not excellent, certainly not as good as rogue one, but imo better than any of the post ROTJ 'proper' star wars films, including ROTS, easily, on reflection, the best of the most recent five.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:46 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
FER wrote:

8/10

Jesus, really? Thought it was massively inferior to Rogue One, crowd-pleasing bollocks, so expositional and "oh, so that's how that happened..." that they may as well have made it a fucking musical with Broadway kickline dance numbers. ("Oh no! It's a Wookie/Let's hope he doesn't want nooo-kiieee...")

One of the dumbest movies I saw last year (and I also saw The Last Jedi, another broken promise...).

Horses/courses.

:rambo:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Now you see, I was going to put it down to him liking Carling, but now you've gone and complicated it...

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:53 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Now you see, I was going to put it down to him liking Carling, but now you've gone and complicated it...

:lol:
Let’s just pretend you didn’t badmouth Star Wars and leave it there. It will save a lot of time for both of us :study: :cheers:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Rogue one is still massively better in my eyes but it was pretty good.

Now it's been out a while I may come back later and offer some specific thoughts. Busy now though.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Ponte, I'm an old dude who loves the first three.The next five have been... Well, they've been.

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:25 pm

[quote="Phil LUFC"]Rogue one is still massively better in my eyes but it was pretty good.

Now it's been out a while I may come back later and offer some specific thoughts. Busy now though.[/quote

Rogue one is brilliant. Maybe the best ever star wars film. It zips along at pace; the 1st 2 acts set up the 3rd; the 2 main characters are both believable and likeable; and the dialogue is superb in places.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:51 pm

:lol: fuck that noise

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Blackwhite wrote:https://twitter.com/pramitheus/status/1089188260071514112?s=19

Agreed, have not seen it yet, but Mrs is putting the screws to watch it. I know it's going to be a shit fest, but I am still Under Pressure....
Andymac

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:54 pm

You want to break free
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Blackwhite wrote:https://twitter.com/pramitheus/status/1089188260071514112?s=19

it was totally fine imo but agree it would be a stinking choice for a really big gong.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:09 pm

Ontolly wrote:You want to break free

I can't, I'll never find Somebody To Love.
Andymac

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:14 pm

Tfp, was that clip representative of the standard of the acting and the writing? Does it ever rise above Les Dennis?

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:43 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Tfp, was that clip representative of the standard of the acting and the writing? Does it ever rise above Les Dennis?

well, i mean, most of the bits that revolve around freddie's bandmates are more or less execrably bad - two of them at least [may & taylor, the ones whose portrayals do the most speaking in the clip above] were heavily invoved in the making and their 'side of the story' is very much pushed - the other bandmates, good solid family men [albeit with just enough of a rogueish side to make them all-round likeable], were the glue that held things together [and, they emphasise, providing no small part of the real inspiration rather than just solid graft], without them freddie's degeneracy [and, possibly implied, modest level of solo talent] would have forever held him back, back etc. this is done very blatantly - for quite a long part of the film freddie has left to 'go solo' [something that i'm not sure happened in the same way at all in real life], seeking, they say, to emulate michael jackson's successful departure from his brothers' band, but is too busy hoovering up marching powder from a succession of well-used hollywood recta to produce anything even halfway worthwhile. but then within seemingly minutes of returning to the fold the old magic is back & he's producing the most famous live performance ever.

the film is imo overall saved to being pretty decent by other features, most notably the mercury actor, who does a really great job of capturing some of what made him such a, uh, charming fellow, and just, y'know, the way they [sometimes] capture the feel of the era in terms of live aid etc.

but best picture? never ever.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Cheers.

I was amused by Baron-Cohen's anecdote about May reading the early script and complaining that it ended with Mercury's death, saying "but what about the rest of it to this point now?", seemingly innocent of the fact that nobody would give a femtofuck.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:46 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Cheers.

I was amused by Baron-Cohen's anecdote about May reading the early script and complaining that it ended with Mercury's death, saying "but what about the rest of it to this point now?", seemingly innocent of the fact that nobody would give a femtofuck.

yeah, i read that at the time. of course queen as a band have now, preposterously, been going for longer without freddie than they did with [see below] but thankfully any idea they might have had to cover the band's whole lifetime was canned - the story pretty much ends with a climactic 1985 live aid performance, probably a sensible decision from a narrative perspective, though the way it happens in the film [aids already diagnosed, his health already failing] was very different to real life.

Return to “The Square Ball”