Design Classics...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Design Classics...

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Well...

OK, they mightn’t have caused it but ‘abusive practices’?

The wider point is I fucking despise this ‘we’re your best mates’ advertising bullshit when clearly the only thing which ever matters is the bottom line.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Well...

OK, they mightn’t have caused it but ‘abusive practices’?

The wider point is I fucking despise this ‘we’re your best mates’ advertising bullshit when clearly the only thing which ever matters is the bottom line.

Cheers, always interested to see things like that and fully understand/agree with your viewpoint there but that's what pretty much what all advertising is. Sad state of affairs but there's really no alternative, at least none I can see.

J. I found myself nodding in agreement with your full post. I'm 12+ years in and it's changed a lot in that time, 2008 obviously had a huge impact on that but the last 4-5 years has been another gear shift, at least in the small corner I see.

I say 'we' because I've invested a lot to make it a career rather than a a job, if that makes sense. Loyalty is one of my vices, I can't see myself jumping unless pushed but it's clear the modern approach is to move every few years.

My heart sinks a bit when I see some of the shit we've done in the past, more so when we're sanctioned again for similar after the statements of intent to prevent such things. It's a similar feeling to LUFC doing shit like going to Myanmar. Neither are my doing/anything I could have prevented but there's an association albeit a weak one. As you say, large faceless organisation, at my level I'm more or less just a number and I'm under no illusions about that. Take the emotion or of it and I'm just a number through the turnstiles every week for LUFC too.

It's not the easiest industry to find some professional pride in but it's the one I'm in and at this point that's not likely to change.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:15 pm

The thing is, if a bank made an ad saying ‘we’re going to take your money and make a profit somewhere because we’re not your friends, but here’s what you get’ I’d actually admire the lack of bullshit.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 am

Pro tip relating to this though: do not ask your financial adviser to suggest a few high yielding funds by asking him to "find where HSBC invest, the drugs/guns/money laundering options" as his sense of humour is almost certainly not up to it.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:43 am

Open source. I bet Whitethrough has one already.

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”