Design Classics...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
FredFlintstone

Re: Design Classics...

Postby FredFlintstone » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Anyone else ever play 17-a-side at dinner break with an Impossi-Ball? That shit was mental!

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:50 am

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:16 am

Engineering helping people help themselves ...

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:25 pm

There's a whole raft of issues around social housing, ownership and responsibility, but I think this is a cool approach.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:31 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:There's a whole raft of issues around social housing, ownership and responsibility, but I think this is a cool approach.

I came across this via the 99% invisible podcast. It's a shame their conclusion was that it will never work in the US (and presumably the UK) because people of the associated litigation with encouraging people to self-build.

Also from 99% invisible I discovered McMansion Hell. Expensive but awful houses from America - it's quite addictive reading.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:39 pm

thechubbyone wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:There's a whole raft of issues around social housing, ownership and responsibility, but I think this is a cool approach.

I came across this via the 99% invisible podcast. It's a shame their conclusion was that it will never work in the US (and presumably the UK) because people of the associated litigation with encouraging people to self-build.

We also have in incredibly repressive planning regime. Personally, I quite like an ad-hoc approach: with certain exceptions I'd quite like to see people extending their houses with whatever's lying around, but the State loathes the idea. Plotlands were an interesting, if short-lived phenomenon.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:48 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:

We also have in incredibly repressive planning regime. Personally, I quite like an ad-hoc approach: with certain exceptions I'd quite like to see people extending their houses with whatever's lying around, but the State loathes the idea. Plotlands were an interesting, if short-lived phenomenon.

We're straying into general planning peculiarities here, but I've recently looked at the idea of buying a plot of land to build a house on. Common sense would suggest to me that if I bought half an acre (for example) I'd be more likely to get permission to put a single house on it that 10. However, council planning targets regarding new houses mean in some cases 1 good house wouldn't be allowable but 10 shit houses would. It's no wonder most new houses in this country are little cardboard boxes with 10m2 of garden.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:05 pm

thechubbyone wrote:We're straying into general planning peculiarities here, but I've recently looked at the idea of buying a plot of land to build a house on. Common sense would suggest to me that if I bought half an acre (for example) I'd be more likely to get permission to put a single house on it that 10. However, council planning targets regarding new houses mean in some cases 1 good house wouldn't be allowable but 10 shit houses would. It's no wonder most new houses in this country are little cardboard boxes with 10m2 of garden.

The ideal for self-build like this is to look for a site that's awkward in some way: funny shape; sloping; tricky to get any more than a single vehicle access into. Any of those will have the average developer running in the opposite direction.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:18 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:We're straying into general planning peculiarities here, but I've recently looked at the idea of buying a plot of land to build a house on. Common sense would suggest to me that if I bought half an acre (for example) I'd be more likely to get permission to put a single house on it that 10. However, council planning targets regarding new houses mean in some cases 1 good house wouldn't be allowable but 10 shit houses would. It's no wonder most new houses in this country are little cardboard boxes with 10m2 of garden.

The ideal for self-build like this is to look for a site that's awkward in some way: funny shape; sloping; tricky to get any more than a single vehicle access into. Any of those will have the average developer running in the opposite direction.

Mate's just bought a new build in Pudsey that goes partially over the old railway tunnel. His garden's fucking massive.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:01 pm

Not going to grow much if it's in a tunnel though, innit :pig: :percythrower:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Just full of tramps. As is the house, to be fair.

Ontolly

Design Classics...

Postby Ontolly » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:52 pm

There's a save greenside tunnel campaign active on Facebook - so hippies and tramps then.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Ontolly wrote:There's a save greenside tunnel campaign active on Facebook - so hippies and tramps then.

Fuck me, they gonna fill it in it summat?

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:33 am

I'm liking this new stadium design for Forest Green 8)
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:52 am

Proud to be Leeds wrote:I'm liking this new stadium design for Forest Green 8)

Should burn well.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:15 am

:bounce:
dirty leeds wrote:

Should burn well.

Eric'll shit.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:31 am

What sort of lifespan might one expect to get from something like that? :scratch:

My grandad was from Leeds

Postby My grandad was from Leeds » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:21 am

the flying pig wrote:

What sort of lifespan might one expect to get from something like that? :scratch:

They can only have been in their current ground ten years.

Trouble dahn Millwall way I see, which is nice.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:02 am

the flying pig wrote:

A good blathering of old engine oil will extend its longevity.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Return to “The Square Ball”