Design Classics...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
OWETB

Design Classics...

Postby OWETB » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:11 pm

As there seems to be a few cunts on here who appreciate a good design, I thought I would post the below. Its a 25 minute documentary on the design and evolution of the London Underground Map.

It is more interesting than it sounds and even has a segment on the type face designed - just for Krumpli.

The Map.

Any other design classics to share? Post em up...

Disco Dan
Site Admin

Re: Design Classics...

Postby Disco Dan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:38 am

Ooh, I like this sort of thing.

Here's one for ya, the Adidas Tango (albeit a replica).

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Perfect marriage of form and function.

http://www.patricktaylor.com/fender-stratocaster
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Strat brought lump to my throat.. looks like Rory Gallaghers!

bast@rd no apologies but possibly the quickest detrioration of fine idea for thread in true SB fashion! :mrgreen:

Krumpli

Postby Krumpli » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:16 pm

What's this? A thread about the Tube Map without a mention of Eric Gill? A contemporary of London Underground lettering designer Edward Johnson, he's best known for his typeface Gill Sans, which is based on Johnson's work.

However.

"Bath," Gill wrote in his diary one evening in 1929. "Continued experiment with dog after and discovered that a dog will join with a man."

That's right. Eric Gill bathed before bumming his dog. And he didn't just join with canines, either. Nobody - not his friends, sister or even his own daughters - were safe from the "penis treatment".

As well as memoirs revealing in great detail how he traumatised his family (he once wrote of visit to his daughter's bedroom: "stayed half an hour – put penis in her arse.") and his conversion to Catholicism (his father was a Protestant minister), the mad paraphiliac left behind a massive body of work.

As accomplished with a chisel in his hand as he was with his cock, Eric Gill's sculptures adorn the headquarters of London Underground, the BBC and the United Nations in Geneva, and he was responsible for many of the UK's war memorials.

So next time you peruse a font folder or pay your respects, be sure to thoroughly wash your hands afterwards. At least twice.

There. Religion, war, incest and bestialy - quite possibly the Square Ballest post it's possible to make on the subject of design. I'm too good to you cunts, I really am.

Maple Leeds

Postby Maple Leeds » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:17 pm

“For ten years Caesar ruled with an iron fist. Then with a wooden foot, and finally with a piece of string.” Spike Milligan

Krumpli

Postby Krumpli » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 pm

I love Canada. With the second best national flag in the world and, until recently, the planet's tallest free standing structure - not to mention all the spoils of Troy Hurtubise's near-suicidal obsession with bears - at hand, their opening submission into Square Ball's design hall of fame is a barbecue. :) Perfect.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Krumpli wrote:I love Canada. With the second best national flag in the world and, until recently, the planet's tallest free standing structure - not to mention all the spoils of Troy Hurtubise's near-suicidal obsession with bears - at hand, their opening submission into Square Ball's design hall of fame is a barbecue. :) Perfect.

I did intend this thread to be serious, but fuck it :mrgreen: silly cunt :lol:

Krumpli

Postby Krumpli » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:44 pm

B@stard wrote:I did intend this thread to be serious, but fuck it :mrgreen: silly cunt :lol:

Thank fuck for that. :lol: 'Serious' design's hardly ever worth a fart. Memorable solutions - the shit that gets the job done, the message across or you from A to B (better still with a smile, at least in your mind) - is what it's all about.

col

Postby col » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:51 pm

[img]
[/img]
nice.jpg
design classic?
(14.95 KiB) Downloaded 3037 times
fuck off

Krumpli

Postby Krumpli » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 pm

A set of excellent criteria matches. :lol:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:01 pm

col wrote:Image

'orrible they are.
Much better.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:32 pm

That Ball B Q reminds me of mashed spuds :D

Krumpli

Postby Krumpli » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:37 pm

:lol:
Smash robot:

Ball-B-Q:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Back on topic....

Not so much a design classic, maybe, as a classic piece of design. One that floats my boat anyway.

I give you the Whyte PRST-4.

Jon Whyte used to design F1 cars. By all accounts he designed the car in which Schumacher won his first world championship for Benetton. At some point he quit and decided to start designing mountain bikes instead. The first PRST came out in, I think, 1999. It was almost instantly regarded as the best XC bike ever made. Within months, dozens of top riders were using it to win World Cup races and championships across the planet. Think about it - this is breathtaking. The likes of Cannondale spend 25 years and millions of bucks on R&D and Whyte comes along and blows them away with his first ever attempt at designing a bike.

What's so good is that he was thinking from square one. Take the front forks. The classic problem is that if you're hooning downhill and you hit a rock, even a couple of mm differential compression between two conventional fork shocks can throw your steering right off and you're toast. Whyte came at this from a completely revolutionary angle and completely solved it.

But of course the thing that really makes this epic design is just that it's ugly as fuck. Mental. Lairy.

After a few years Whyte sold up. The company, without him, still makes great bikes but they're not the same. A bit safe. A bit normal. He went on, with a new company, to design a folding bike. It's good, but it's just not mad like the PRST series. Whyte gave that up too. I guess he's retired.

Sad really, because he's a classic example of the Great British iconoclast. In the tradition of William Lyons and all that.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:28 pm

And whilst we're on Sir William Lyons, why not then?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:41 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:And whilst we're on Sir William Lyons, why not then?

That is just sooooo the wrong colour.

Correct colour.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:21 am

I aren't that much of a colour fascist I'm afraid.

You'll be telling me next that Ferraris have to be red, three-piece suits have to be pinstripe, DM boots have to be Oxblood and hospital corridors have to be Magnolia.

Even though the series 3 V-12 was the least succesful design overall, I always thought that looked best in cream with a r*d leather interior.

The High Priest

Postby The High Priest » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:40 am

Speaking of design, the new England shirt is pretty appalling. I especially dislike the red line around the three lions:

The High Priest is working tirelessly to hold the congegration together in these benighted times.

The High Priest

Postby The High Priest » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:40 am

The High Priest is working tirelessly to hold the congegration together in these benighted times.

Return to “The Square Ball”