Return To Standing At Matches

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: Return To Standing At Matches

Postby dirty leeds » Wed May 04, 2016 3:35 pm

Looks like it's finally happening, according to the BBC:

"Celtic have apparently confirmed that they will convert a section of Parkhead to safe standing for next season.

The Scottish Premiership club were granted permission to introduce the scheme last summer and it was projected at that stage that the rail seating area would accommodate up to 2,600 fans."

FER

Postby FER » Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 am

Yep. Good news is this. I'd like to know how much it costs, to give us an idea of if/when this could be implemented down here too.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 05, 2016 11:57 am

FER wrote:Yep. Good news is this. I'd like to know how much it costs, to give us an idea of if/when this could be implemented down here too.

AFAIK one of the basic issues is that the rake of a seated terrace is generally different to a standing terrace. Conditions will vary for each stand, but if you were retro-fitting a rail system to a stand which was a terrace pre-Taylor Report, it would likely cost less than the alterations you'd need to a post-Taylor seated stand.

FER

Postby FER » Thu May 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Nice one Eric, that's top info.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu May 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Personally speaking I have no wish to stand for almost two hours getting shoved all over the fucking place, I'll be able to see the game OK because I'm over 6ft but any short-arse or kid standing behind me will spend the whole of the game looking at my back.

Sit down and eat a pie I say.

Hooray for the return of the pick-pockets

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 05, 2016 2:18 pm

welshwhite wrote:Personally speaking I have no wish to stand for almost two hours getting shoved all over the fucking place, I'll be able to see the game OK because I'm over 6ft but any short-arse or kid standing behind me will spend the whole of the game looking at my back.

Sit down and eat a pie I say.

Hooray for the return of the pick-pockets

No-one's making you stand, but it's about choice. And you won't get shoved around or pick-pocketed because there's a rail between every row.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu May 05, 2016 2:28 pm

I've reached a stage where I'd probably prefer to sit rather than stand and where I'm accepting of shit atmospheres. Too little too late for me, but I'm still supportive of these areas being common. My biggest question is about how well these systems work in seating mode, I can't help but think that rail would either be directly in my eye line or would make leaning back in the seat uncomfortable.

If I understand it correctly, you get 2 rows standing for every row of seating rather than a rail between every row (in standing mode)?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu May 05, 2016 2:35 pm

I can re-create my match day experience from the 70s and 80s (There were also barriers on the stands then) by simply standing in an overcrowded pub on a Friday night and being unable to move to go for a piss and also enjoy the feeling of spilt beer running down my back. For added effect I'll get the DJ to play that Jump Jump Jump song as I take a bite out of my pub pie.

Epic!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 05, 2016 5:55 pm

welshwhite wrote:Hooray for the return of the pick-pockets

If you will carry around so much cash, you can't blame them for seeing the 20k in a roll and thinking "I could just get that..."

welshwhite wrote: and also enjoy the feeling of spilt beer running down my back.

That wasn't beer.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 am

Bristol City now going for rail seating/standing: http://www.fercoseating.co.uk/railseati ... GwodEi0C7Q

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Whilst I've little real expectation that this will get the debate in Parliament, it's so close to the line now that I'd urge you all to sign it.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:29 pm

Done

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:39 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Done

x2
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

FER

Postby FER » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:27 am

It's already over 106k and rising all the time with about 7 weeks left to run. So it'll get the debate, but not sure how long or intensive the debate will be,

sunshine whites

Postby sunshine whites » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Tycipa wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Done

x2

+1

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:10 pm

FER wrote:It's already over 106k and rising all the time with about 7 weeks left to run. So it'll get the debate, but not sure how long or intensive the debate will be,

The actual wording HM Gov uses is:

Parliament will consider this for a debate

So don’t pin your hopes on the slimy fuckers.

Rob

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Wouldn't trust the scumbag politicians an inch. What works well in Germany and at Celtic is instantly dismissed; why ?

That said, I'm strongly in favour of a return to a form of standing. This would at least give supporters a choice as to whether they sit or stand and would indisputably improve the ever increasingly sanitized atmospheres. All should be encouraged to at least sign this petition.

Having started watching on the terraces in the 1980's, the white hot atmosphere provided by the Kop, and on many other terraces too, was unbeatable and also part of the reason why those in the seats attended matches. Terraces were part of the theatre.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 am

Just had an email to the effect that the debate will take place on June 25.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 02, 2018 8:51 am

dirty leeds wrote:Just had an email to the effect that the debate will take place on June 25.

The problem with these public-induced debates is that they won't get anywhere unless there's a solid cohort of MPs prepared to back the idea, and some serious lobbying beforehand to get folk onside. I don't know how we stand (ho ho) in this instance.

Return to “The Square Ball”