Return To Standing At Matches

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
FER

Return To Standing At Matches

Postby FER » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:14 pm

I haven't read all the threads yet but simply cannot believe nobody has picked up on this yet! Where's su4t when you need him?!?!?

From our friends at The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/liberaldemocrats/2958660/Liberal-Democrats-Football-match-standing-ban-should-be-overturned.html

No I'm not a Lib Dem, nor am I a Telegraph reader but thought this might provoke some interest on the site, considering what an ardent supporter for this The Old Daddy seemed to generate.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

BIGLEE 2

Re: Return To Standing At Matches

Postby BIGLEE 2 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:00 pm

It don't matter the libs aint ever gonna win so there policy is pie in the sky ,shame thow .

Dale White

Postby Dale White » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:13 am

Tbh i dont think any government would sanction a return to standing,can you imagine the meltdown the first time an incident happend.
FUCK OFF BATES !!!

ddwhite

Postby ddwhite » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:30 am

Read the Taylor report
Here we go..

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 am

The lib dems can say whatever the fuck they like, safe in the knowledge they will never get in power. :roll:

The High Priest

Postby The High Priest » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:12 am

The one encouraging thing is that Andy Burnham, the Sports minister, seems to be a genuine fan of the old school. It wouldn't surprise me if he privately favoured the return of standing. But it would be a hard sell politically.
The High Priest is working tirelessly to hold the congegration together in these benighted times.

Rob

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:28 am

Thought that we were all meant to have freedom of choice nowadays blah blah.

Sadly, while grounds can be sold out with all sitting down nowt will change. Its all about £ and control.

Krumpli

Postby Krumpli » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:31 am

I'm not getting Andy Burnham. On one hand, he says all the right things about football ownership but on the other, he wasted no time whatsoever getting his mug in on his local club being rebadged, recoloured, and renamed after a soft rock outfit.

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:41 pm

What really really fucks me off about this subject is:

- Us cunts stand anyway, it must be much much more dangerous standing in an area with seats than it is on a decent terrace ..

- But even more, the fucking seats are so bastard small n close to one another at most grounds that you can't sit if you want to. I'm 198 n take up three sodding seats if I try to sit down at ER ... 8So I always try get a aisle seat. ..

Answer .. Give us decent sodding seats n make up for the lost number of seats by bringing back proper terraces yr bastards.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:46 am

Happily I can now stand at just about every game as being at the back of the kop I wouldnt be able to see if I sat down. But it would make more sense to have a clear standing area for those that wish to stand all game. Germany has shown this can be done safely.
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

mi.mic.mick.mick jones

Postby mi.mic.mick.mick jones » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:58 am

Sadly, I think it's all about control.I too stand at matches as my ST is for the back of the Kop.However, I stand in front of my designated seat, so if I cause any bother (not that I would) the cctv picks up bloke causing bother stood at seat T32,so out I go, season ticket revoked,banned for next 3 years or whatever. If it were terracing, bloke causing bother somewhere in N7, I mingle into crowd, no trace of who I am, no ejection, no ban.
I think, therefore, that standing in seated area is closest we'll get to terracing. So as long as the stewards leave us alone towards the back,then I'm happy to settle for that.
It's the same at away games, you have to be a member or St holder to get a ticket, you're given a seat, so if you cause bother away, they can trace you and ban you . This said however, I have got tickets for Peterborough and I will be on a terrace.So I don't think the issue isn't with safety, more tracability and control.
Don't tell him pike

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:15 am

SimonB wrote:Happily I can now stand at just about every game as being at the back of the kop I wouldnt be able to see if I sat down. But it would make more sense to have a clear standing area for those that wish to stand all game. Germany has shown this can be done safely.

Even the much praised Allianz Arena, which is one of the newest and most modern in Europe has a large standing area ..

"What brings the fans streaming to Fröttmaning in their tens of thousands? The stars of the mighty Bayern Munich of course. But the fans can also expect to be well looked after, both before and after the game. 6,000 m² of catering facilities take care of culinary requirements. Europe’s biggest multi-storey car park provides nearly 10,000 parking spaces. ? A big plus point for the Arena is its ability to match the needs of a broad range of supporters. There are 13,500 reasonably priced tickets for the standing terraces at Bundesliga games. ..... "

From what I can tell those terraces can be converted into 7,000 seats for European games ... Thought on the arean site they do say ..

"How many seats are convertible into standing areas?
10,400 seats in each of the north and south stands are convertible into standing terrace areas using a folding mechanism, with each folded seat providing just over one standing place. So when standing terraces are in use, the capacity of the Allianz Arena rises to 69,901 - 23,901 in the lower tier, 24,000 in the middle tier and 22,000 in the upper tier, where the extremely steep gradient of 34 degrees means standing will not be possible. The top row of seating is 39 metres above pitch level. At Bayern matches, the total capacity after deduction of tickets for the media, stewards etc. stands at 69,000."

N the wiki says ..

"69,901 (seating and standing)
66,000 (seating only)"

So bugger knows :D :D

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:43 am

Comments about it being about surveillance are spot on. Virtually every week in the Kop I see people having names and seat numbers taken for anything ranging from standing to having a go at stewards.

Last year I went to see Dortmund vs Schalke and the difference between attending a game in England was huge. To give it a bit of context, Dortmund and Schalke hate each other, and Shalke basically just needed a win to secure the title. I got a ticket for the main terrace behind the goal with a capacity of around 25,000 for (I think) 12 euros. It certainly wasn’t a great deal more. Inside the ground I was able to take a beer out onto the terrace where there were virtually no stewards. The atmosphere was incredible as Dortmund won 2-0. It all just worked beautifully, and I couldn’t help thinking how wrong we are getting it in this country.

Should also add that I went to the same stadium in 2006 to see Togo vs Switzerland and even in the seats on the converted terrace I had more leg room than at Elland Road.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:44 am

Don't see surveilance as being an issue, we're not talking traditional terracing here, we're talking convertable, I presume that means the same capaciaty either way with probably an adjustable height bar running the length of the row - at the height of the back of your seat when set up for sitting and high enough to lean on otherwise. You either sit or stand in the same place with the same room.

I could be talking bollox of course having not been to 1 of these stadiums in germany with it installed.

Edited to say I've now read the above post(s) (having jumped straight in at the surveilance point).

Krumpli

Postby Krumpli » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:04 am

Of course it's about surveillance. To those who run the English game, we're scum. Scum with an insatiable appetite for football. They need to know what we do, where we are and where we live so they can sell it to us, preferably at arm's length, or - even better - down a wire.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:21 am

Krumpli wrote:Of course it's about surveillance. To those who run the English game, we're scum. Scum with an insatiable appetite for football. They need to know what we do, where we are and where we live so they can sell it to us, preferably at arm's length, or - even better - down a wire.

Didn't exactly word my post very well, wasn't trying to dispute the point, more trying to question how much more difficult surveillance would be in standing areas rather than seating. ie is it a suitable arguement. I had thought the conversion method would leave capacity the same but obviously not, it adds around 50% capacity to the affected areas. Does that make surveillance more difficult? would each person have a designated standing point rather than a return to days of old where you stand where you can?

Krumpli

Postby Krumpli » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:33 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Didn't exactly word my post very well, wasn't trying to dispute the point, more trying to question how much more difficult surveillance would be in standing areas rather than seating. ie is it a suitable arguement. I had thought the conversion method would leave capacity the same but obviously not, it adds around 50% capacity to the affected areas. Does that make surveillance more difficult? would each person have a designated standing point rather than a return to days of old where you stand where you can?

I wasn't taking issue with your post, Phil, just cutting the cake right through, so to speak.

The bottom line is, I feel, that a seat is not only lucrative to a club, but one with an associated name, address, customer number, credit card, email addy etc. is infinitely more desirable than a designated area of any size in which we scums can mingle.

The High Priest

Postby The High Priest » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm

You soft shites. What a miserable thread. When the club tried to put seats on the Kop in the 70s, the fans ripped them out and roared their defiance. The club backed down. Now you all sit down like proper little pansies the moment the stewards so much as raise an eyebrow at you.

Where are your cojones? If you don't like the seats then rip the cunts out and punch the first steward who has a problem with it. That's what the lads in the 70s and 80s would have done.

Krumpli is right. Leeds fans have no bollocks when it comes to collective action.
The High Priest is working tirelessly to hold the congegration together in these benighted times.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:55 pm

I agree with that but surely standing can be implemented without causing mingling? At least no more than at present where a bit of seat swapping takes place. I spent the crewe game squatting to the east end of the kop because I bumped into a mate I've not seen for years pre-match and this was encouraged by the girl in the ticket office who indicated there were plenty of free seats near him (he'd originally asked to be near my seat).

the technology implemented now can only tell you a seat number by counting heads so if they put clearly defined squares its exactly the same. The T&C can make you responsible for your space even if your not in it, should keep most in the right place.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:17 pm

The High Priest wrote:You soft shites. What a miserable thread. When the club tried to put seats on the Kop in the 70s, the fans ripped them out and roared their defiance. The club backed down. Now you all sit down like proper little pansies the moment the stewards so much as raise an eyebrow at you.

Where are your cojones? If you don't like the seats then rip the cunts out and punch the first steward who has a problem with it. That's what the lads in the 70s and 80s would have done.

Krumpli is right. Leeds fans have no bollocks when it comes to collective action.

That would involve going to a game and actually being a Leeds fan though wouldn't it?

And to answer the question, the reason not to do that is that your face would be on the front page of the evening post within a week and you would be facing time in prison and a 10 year ban. Is that reason enough?

Return to “The Square Ball”