O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby the flying pig » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:11 pm

Tommy wrote:
Devi wrote:Boba Fett Ep 3.

Meh.

I can't help but be vaguely fascinated by what Disney does with Star Wars, which I know too much about due to very old video games. I thought that bits of the new trilogy they did were good but the last one was such a dog that it made me think maybe they'll just revert to type. However, I also thought that Rogue One was the best Star Wars film by some distance and even enjoyed the much maligned Solo. Obviously, The Mandalorian was really watchable and I thought the first two episodes of Boba Fett were interesting too but this past episode was some silly bullshit and made me think they've already run out of ideas for these characters. The young Mods he employed are exactly the sort of cloying shit that made the prequels such a slog. Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen are doing decent work and they seem to do a really good job with casting (Stephen Root in the latest episode for example) but the writing eventually lets them down. Perhaps it's because the universe of Star Wars itself is inherently flawed. Still, I can't help but be curious about the forthcoming Ahsoka Tano show because Rosario Dawson was such a good choice to play her and it'd be interesting to see if The Mandalorian wasn't a fluke.

yeah, action sci fi must be, per minute, the most expensive type of video content to create, & as such even post mando there probably remains a question mark over whether it lends itself to the episodic format which has had such a renaissance in other genres.

BF episodes to date have reminded me almost of something like fung fu or the a team from the 70s or 80s, something shlocky to watch once, be mildly diverted by whilst its on, & then insta-forget.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:07 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Also, that James Nesbitt thing, Stay Close: what a pile of fucking crap

Half an hour into the first one at Mrs’ behest and I really hate it.

That NI cop thing put me off Nesbitt forever.
Member of a clique

Devi

Postby Devi » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:16 pm

Cold Feet, as I recall, the show that introduced Nesbitt to these shores, put me off Nesbitt forever.
I like it. What is it?

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:45 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Also, that James Nesbitt thing, Stay Close: what a pile of fucking crap

Half an hour into the first one at Mrs’ behest and I really hate it.

That NI cop thing put me off Nesbitt forever.

We are four episodes in now, it’s just fucking odd and overly convoluted without any reason behind it.
Spoiler!
Although the dancing psychopaths amuse me

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:30 am

I thought the thing in your spoiler was childish, pointless and totally out of place. Might as well have said aliens or ghosts did it. And they were about as scary as Bambi.
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:35 am

Devi wrote:Cold Feet, as I recall, the show that introduced Nesbitt to these shores, put me off Nesbitt forever.

Fair. I was just about to say 'he was good in . . . ' but I'm not getting anywhere.
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:21 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
Devi wrote:Cold Feet, as I recall, the show that introduced Nesbitt to these shores, put me off Nesbitt forever.

Fair. I was just about to say 'he was good in . . . ' but I'm not getting anywhere.

He was good in the back of my mate's cab a few years back when he was all over some young woman [who then didn't let him into her flat for a shag]. A bit surprised when mate said, 'Herne Hill is it now, Mr. Nesbitt?'
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:20 am

From wiki:

Nesbitt is a fan of football teams Coleraine F.C., Rangers F.C and, most passionately, Manchester United F.C. Nesbitt was a vocal opponent of Malcolm Glazer's 2005 takeover of Manchester United; however, after the completion of the deal, he acted in television advertisements promoting executive boxes at Old Trafford and was criticised by fans.

Cunt, then.
Member of a clique

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:34 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:From wiki:

Nesbitt is a fan of football teams Coleraine F.C., Rangers F.C and, most passionately, Manchester United F.C. Nesbitt was a vocal opponent of Malcolm Glazer's 2005 takeover of Manchester United; however, after the completion of the deal, he acted in television advertisements promoting executive boxes at Old Trafford and was criticised by fans.

Cunt, then.

Cunt now, probably, too.
I like it. What is it?

barry white

Postby barry white » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:06 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:That NI cop thing put me off Nesbitt forever.

Him being a manc cunt did it for me; along with him being a shite actor.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:38 pm

Three parter on BBC about Andy Warhol. Really good. Fantastic soundtrack too.
Member of a clique

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:27 pm

Trigger Point is already so full of shit it’s annoying me.
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Trigger Point is already so full of shit it’s annoying me.

Feeling same. Very poor.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:12 pm

Although the very last bit made me jump. :D

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:14 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Although the very last bit made me jump. :D

Ah, c’mon. You knew a bomb would go off at the end and someone would die, it was just a question of who.
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:50 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Although the very last bit made me jump. :D

Ah, c’mon. You knew a bomb would go off at the end and someone would die, it was just a question of who.

Yes, of course, but the actual event made me jump still. Looked fairly convincing.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:25 pm

One of those where I wouldn’t be surprised if video game CGI hasn’t fed back into TV and film.
Member of a clique

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:04 pm

with regards the above, a lot of the script just seemed to be trying to establish the characters as just 'normal' likeable people with your standard 'banter' in spite of their highly stressful job. but fuck me it made the program lame. i don't want to watch normal people on a sunday night, i'd like to see interesting characters saying unusual things. i was quite glad of the blast at the end removing one of the main characters, just so long as it doesn't mean another program establishing a dull character. not that we are likely to bother with episode two.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:02 pm

Responder has started well.
Andymac

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:Responder has started well.

Yeah, I thought it was good and I like Freeman. However, it was unremittingly grim - or 'Liverpool', as it is known - and I don't know if I want grim/mad/druggy for six episodes. Maybe not just now.

E2A: Do coppers/responders really do this shit by themselves? I thought they always worked in pairs.

Return to “The Square Ball”