Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:16 pm

Our win at West Ham must have been a great relief for Radz.

A perfect deflection away from the transfer window no-shows.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:18 pm

welshwhite wrote:Our win at West Ham must have been a great relief for Radz.

A perfect deflection away from the transfer window no-shows.

Along with 2 more in the success column for Orta with positive EPL debuts for Hjelde and Bate.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:21 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Our win at West Ham must have been a great relief for Radz.

A perfect deflection away from the transfer window no-shows.

Along with 2 more in the success column for Orta with positive EPL debuts for Hjelde and Bate.


When Orta first came here I don't think he made one successful signing.

Bielsa turns up with his own right-hand men and 'Hey Presto' that changes.
Took him a season or two to get things right though (As expected) :thumbl:

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:23 pm

welshwhite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Our win at West Ham must have been a great relief for Radz.

A perfect deflection away from the transfer window no-shows.

Along with 2 more in the success column for Orta with positive EPL debuts for Hjelde and Bate.


When Orta first came here I don't think he made one successful signing.

Bielsa turns up and 'Hey Presto' that changes :thumbl:

100% agreed. If we're going to overlook Jansson, Klich, Alioski, Forshaw, Struijk & Roberts.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:26 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:100% agreed. If we're going to overlook Jansson, Klich, Alioski, Forshaw, Struijk & Roberts.


Over half of the main promotion side were Cellino players :thumbl:

Jansson was first here on loan during The Cellino ownership.
Can't give that one to VO.


Ayling
Berardi
Cooper
Dallas
Phillips
Shacks
Hernandez.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:09 pm

welshwhite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:100% agreed. If we're going to overlook Jansson, Klich, Alioski, Forshaw, Struijk & Roberts.


Over half of the main promotion side were Cellino players :thumbl:

Jansson was first here on loan during The Cellino ownership.
Can't give that one to VO.


Ayling
Berardi
Cooper
Dallas
Phillips
Shacks
Hernandez.

I'm pretty sure Pablo was a Monk signing (he was given enough freedom to use his Swansea contacts to suggest he wasn't Cellino's target. Ayling was alsoonk, via a recommendation from Bartley). You can't really credit Cellino for those, especially if you're going to consider Bamford onwards as Bielsa assisted rather than Orta signings.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:13 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
welshwhite wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:100% agreed. If we're going to overlook Jansson, Klich, Alioski, Forshaw, Struijk & Roberts.


Over half of the main promotion side were Cellino players :thumbl:

Jansson was first here on loan during The Cellino ownership.
Can't give that one to VO.


Ayling
Berardi
Cooper
Dallas
Phillips
Shacks
Hernandez.

I'm pretty sure Pablo was a Monk signing (he was given enough freedom to use his Swansea contacts to suggest he wasn't Cellino's target. Ayling was alsoonk, via a recommendation from Bartley). You can't really credit Cellino for those, especially if you're going to consider Bamford onwards as Bielsa assisted rather than Orta signings.


I'll go as far as to say that without Bielsa we'd still be a Championship side.
He shaped the players you and I mention into what they've became.


If you want to credit Orta and the owner it's fine by me, as I've always said "Each to their own :thumbl:

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:23 pm

Orta definitely has a mixed record but lets not forget Bielsa wouldn't be here without him.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:06 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Orta definitely has a mixed record but lets not forget Bielsa wouldn't be here without him.


I knew you'd say that :) I wish I could have got a bet on that.

I've mentioned before that Cellino first mentioned to Radz about bringing MB here.
The person that told me is still close inside the club, don't want to put his name on here. You've been on this site a long time so I think I can trust you not to say who that person is.

Have a look in your PMs :thumbl:

User avatar
Bobbycollins
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Bobbycollins » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:56 pm

Good to see that McCartney isn't the only person recycling their greatest hits :thumbl:

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby welshwhite » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:54 am

Good to see another Orta apologist coming out of the woodwork now that the players have busted a gut to get us another win.
Still, it keeps him in a job :thumbl:

If Bielsa had never come to the club we'd now be watching a mid-table Championship side, with Mick McCarthy coaching Jay-Roy Grot how to head a ball at corners :thumbl:

In Orta we trust :salute:

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:46 am

I'd still take a reserve keeper but given that you can get an emergency loan keeper at any time and not just in the window, there's no urgency to it.

Otherwise, I think we've reached the tipping point where it's actually daft if we don't continue to use our academy players to plug the gaps given how useful they could be going forward.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:52 am

welshwhite wrote:Good to see another Orta apologist coming out of the woodwork now that the players have busted a gut to get us another win.
Still, it keeps him in a job :thumbl:

If Bielsa had never come to the club we'd now be watching a mid-table Championship side, with Mick McCarthy coaching Jay-Roy Grot how to head a ball at corners :thumbl:

In Orta we trust :salute:


Aye, and what about Don Revie that time? Or Sgt. Wilko?
Makes you think.
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:55 am

Tommy wrote:I'd still take a reserve keeper but given that you can get an emergency loan keeper at any time and not just in the window, there's no urgency to it.

Otherwise, I think we've reached the tipping point where it's actually daft if we don't continue to use our academy players to plug the gaps given how useful they could be going forward.

Agree 100%.
The win at W Ham was immense in itself and for how it affects the season as a whole. It put a marker down and more importantly a large gap back to 17th.
We aren't quite out of the woods but the path is clear.
That means we are in the position where we have our top players slowly coming back from injury, senior players finding a bit of form and junior players showing that they are up to the job when needed.
We don't need to make any panic signings ( so long as Meslier doesn't get knee knack).
Spend the time thinking about where we need to sign in the summer.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 am

Meslier and Struijk already look like senior players and a huge part of that is because they've survived their baptism of fire in the PL. We have lots of players with a vaguely similar potential around the same age or younger and it will suit us to ascertain where they are given that the rest of this season is more or less a write off (though also not really because the stated goal in the first two seasons was survival).

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby welshwhite » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:29 am

Bielsa does not want to play the youth, he's been forced into it.
When everyone is fit it's older heads that get the nod every time.
If Rodrigo was fully fit Bate would not have been used, hence him making way for Rodrigo in a crazy double substitution.
Same with Hjelde, he'd have not played if Cooper or Llorente had been available.

I see nothing wrong in bringing in two new experienced players to boost the squad.
Bielsa will want to finish this season on a high. Just like last season.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:51 am

welshwhite wrote:Bielsa does not want to play the youth, he's been forced into it.
When everyone is fit it's older heads that get the nod every time.
If Rodrigo was fully fit Bate would not have been used, hence him making way for Rodrigo in a crazy double substitution.
Same with Hjelde, he'd have not played if Cooper or Llorente had been available.

I see nothing wrong in bringing in two new experienced players to boost the squad.
Bielsa will want to finish this season on a high. Just like last season.


Crazy.

Rodrigo: 27 minutes played, 28 touches, 91% pass completion.
Lewis Bate: 43 minutes played, 33 touches, 79% pass completion
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby welshwhite » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:10 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
welshwhite wrote:Bielsa does not want to play the youth, he's been forced into it.
When everyone is fit it's older heads that get the nod every time.
If Rodrigo was fully fit Bate would not have been used, hence him making way for Rodrigo in a crazy double substitution.
Same with Hjelde, he'd have not played if Cooper or Llorente had been available.

I see nothing wrong in bringing in two new experienced players to boost the squad.
Bielsa will want to finish this season on a high. Just like last season.


Crazy.

Rodrigo: 27 minutes played, 28 touches, 91% pass completion.
Lewis Bate: 43 minutes played, 33 touches, 79% pass completion


Just as I said, MB prefers older heads :thumbl:

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:31 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Tommy wrote:I'd still take a reserve keeper but given that you can get an emergency loan keeper at any time and not just in the window, there's no urgency to it.

Otherwise, I think we've reached the tipping point where it's actually daft if we don't continue to use our academy players to plug the gaps given how useful they could be going forward.

Agree 100%.
The win at W Ham was immense in itself and for how it affects the season as a whole. It put a marker down and more importantly a large gap back to 17th.
We aren't quite out of the woods but the path is clear.
That means we are in the position where we have our top players slowly coming back from injury, senior players finding a bit of form and junior players showing that they are up to the job when needed.
We don't need to make any panic signings ( so long as Meslier doesn't get knee knack).
Spend the time thinking about where we need to sign in the summer.

I more or less agree too. The only place I don't is for the role mostly filled by Rodrigo, Roberts or Klich. I don't really see an obvious U23 graduate right now (?) and it's a key position where none of the senior options are close to what Pablo did there.

If the right option becomes available we should get them now so they can adjust in time for next season.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: Trialists, Transfers & Speculation

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:03 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:
Tommy wrote:I'd still take a reserve keeper but given that you can get an emergency loan keeper at any time and not just in the window, there's no urgency to it.

Otherwise, I think we've reached the tipping point where it's actually daft if we don't continue to use our academy players to plug the gaps given how useful they could be going forward.

Agree 100%.
The win at W Ham was immense in itself and for how it affects the season as a whole. It put a marker down and more importantly a large gap back to 17th.
We aren't quite out of the woods but the path is clear.
That means we are in the position where we have our top players slowly coming back from injury, senior players finding a bit of form and junior players showing that they are up to the job when needed.
We don't need to make any panic signings ( so long as Meslier doesn't get knee knack).
Spend the time thinking about where we need to sign in the summer.

I more or less agree too. The only place I don't is for the role mostly filled by Rodrigo, Roberts or Klich. I don't really see an obvious U23 graduate right now (?) and it's a key position where none of the senior options are close to what Pablo did there.

If the right option becomes available we should get them now so they can adjust in time for next season.

gelhardt considers himself a 9 or a 10. he's got the skillset to rotate that role with patrick, who himself does a lot of his best work when dropping into the hole. the only trouble is they're both left footed, but i'd love to see if that could work.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chieftain626 and 76 guests