Youth

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Oheddieeddie

Re: Youth

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:43 pm

Mustafaster wrote:These kids ...
Remember back in the day when I was a bit of a footballer ...
Winning gets to be a habit. You go out expecting to win. OK sometimes you don't , but you expect to win, and the opposition knows it.
Tough decision for Bielsa because these kids are kicking the door down.

It’s not such a dilemma though when you remember how shit our kids looked when we played them in the cups last year. Maybe if we were still in the Championship. But the prem is such a leap. I think Bielsa has it just about right.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:These kids ...
Remember back in the day when I was a bit of a footballer ...
Winning gets to be a habit. You go out expecting to win. OK sometimes you don't , but you expect to win, and the opposition knows it.
Tough decision for Bielsa because these kids are kicking the door down.

It’s not such a dilemma though when you remember how shit our kids looked when we played them in the cups last year. Maybe if we were still in the Championship. But the prem is such a leap. I think Bielsa has it just about right.

Indeed. Man City's kids are happily demolishing league one opposition in the league cup, as Arsenal's routinely did back in the day. It's a massive leap from there still.

Tommy

Youth

Postby Tommy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Wish we could play our actual first choice U21 side in every game of the EFL Trophy, I reckon they might have won our group. They beat Oldham tonight without Cresswell, Gelhardt, Greenwood, Drameh, Jenkins or McKinstry starting.

Trumper

Postby Trumper » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:35 am

Bate can’t be any worse than Roberts can he?

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:07 am

Trumper wrote:Bate can’t be any worse than Roberts can he?

He is not ready for PL football. He gives the ball away too often and we already have that problem. I thought that Drameh was but the last 2 or 3 times I have seen him has made me doubt that. He has a tendency to give the ball away very cheaply in dangerous positions, quite often at the back when under no pressure at all and quite often when he is supporting the attack and running past the last man. It puts us under real pressure from the counter and at the top level you get punished too often. I would consider loaning them both out for 20 odd games in January to a champ club to see how they get on.

Greenwood & Gelhardt are brilliant for their age groups but up against technically and physically better players they would not be able to do the things that make them so good for the U23's.

Our best chance of a breakthrough imo is Jimmy. That kind of pace cant be stopped, he can deliver a final ball and finish well. Technically he is great and his attitude and work rate are spot on (his penalty was a great finish). There is a bit of Raheem Sterling about him, we just need to introduce him in the right games at the right time because with the new relaxed tackling rules he will get put into the stand a couple of times.

Trumper

Postby Trumper » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:15 am

rss1969 wrote:

He is not ready for PL football. He gives the ball away too often and we already have that problem. I thought that Drameh was but the last 2 or 3 times I have seen him has made me doubt that. He has a tendency to give the ball away very cheaply in dangerous positions, quite often at the back when under no pressure at all and quite often when he is supporting the attack and running past the last man. It puts us under real pressure from the counter and at the top level you get punished too often. I would consider loaning them both out for 20 odd games in January to a champ club to see how they get on.

Greenwood & Gelhardt are brilliant for their age groups but up against technically and physically better players they would not be able to do the things that make them so good for the U23's.

Our best chance of a breakthrough imo is Jimmy. That kind of pace cant be stopped, he can deliver a final ball and finish well. Technically he is great and his attitude and work rate are spot on (his penalty was a great finish). There is a bit of Raheem Sterling about him, we just need to introduce him in the right games at the right time because with the new relaxed tackling rules he will get put into the stand a couple of times.

What about Bate?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:37 am

I agree that none of them are ready for the PL but there are a high number of players who could do a job if called upon in an emergency, which is the best you can really hope for.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am

Trumper wrote:What about Bate?

We watched him in the first PL2 U23 game of the season, his first competitive appearance, and he looked a decent prospect who wasn't really dialled into the team. To go from there to making a contribution with the kids in the space of a few weeks is very good, particularly by comparison with Miller and McGurk, who are essentially in the same boat.

So he's coming on fairly well, but the idea that he could step up again is a thousand miles off the mark. We beat Oldham 3-2 - ie 'just' - and Oldham are an absolute disaster shitshow of a team: bottom of League Two and they'll be there at the end of the season.
Member of a clique

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:14 am

Trumper wrote:
rss1969 wrote:

What about Bate?

Seen what you did there..........

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:57 am

Trumper wrote:
rss1969 wrote:

What about Bate?

:mrgreen:

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:43 pm

Trumper wrote:
rss1969 wrote:

What about Bate?

:salute:

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:54 pm

Anyone watching

0-0 HT with Leics live on LUTV

Missing loads of players and yet it should be out of sight.........their keeper has made at least 4 good saves. All that is missing is the final finish.

Bate is head & shoulders in midfield and Mcgurk is a right little box of tricks, he could easily have had 2 or 3

No McCarron, Greenwood, Cresswell, Gelhardt or Jimmy

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:42 pm

1-0 to them..........fizzled out 2nd half

You cant miss that many sitters and expect to win the game........they will learn though. Cracking youth set up we have now

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Stonewall pen in the last seconds there. Bate clearly fouled.
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:44 am

dirty leeds wrote:Stonewall pen in the last seconds there. Bate clearly fouled.

Yep 100%. The Leicester defender was fully expecting the whistle to go for a pen, disgraceful decision.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:07 am

U23s v Sunderland, PL Cup match, 1pm kick-off today.

"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:09 am

dirty leeds wrote:U23s v Sunderland, PL Cup match, 1pm kick-off today.

Leeds Toddlers.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:47 am

So that will be Struijk aged 22 and then 2 x18 yr olds, 7 x17yr olds and a 16 yr old playing today.

Be interesting to see how they perform, Sunderland have a decent set up and will be a fair bit older than our boys you would imagine.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:52 pm

the 16 year old CB debayo looks impressive.

another great goal from crysencio to equalise. 1-1 at HT.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Quiffy wrote:the 16 year old CB debayo looks impressive.

another great goal from crysencio to equalise. 1-1 at HT.

Looked like Chris Moore got a whack in the build up to their goal but in fairness we have been poor until the last 10 minutes.

Jimmy looked un-interested until just before the goal, get him and McGurk into the game 2nd half (if they are both still on) and we may well win.

Cracking goal by Jimmy though.

Return to “The Square Ball”