O/T Nerdy phone advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Quiffy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:58 pm

AndyPaul wrote:Meh. Got a sim only contract and bought my phone on a 0% credit card and pay a bit off each month. Would never have another phone contract. I've only got a haewai, fuck knows what model. Previously had an iPhone and would never go back. My phone is sound despite what Trump thinks

that's luxury. i'm on a £6.50 a month tesco contract and use my wife's old handset.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Quiffy wrote:
AndyPaul wrote:Meh. Got a sim only contract and bought my phone on a 0% credit card and pay a bit off each month. Would never have another phone contract. I've only got a haewai, fuck knows what model. Previously had an iPhone and would never go back. My phone is sound despite what Trump thinks

that's luxury. i'm on a £6.50 a month tesco contract and use my wife's old handset.

Tesco contract? Posh. Mines a lidl contract and only get to use my data between the hours or 3am and 4am.

We are doing the Yorkshire men sketch right?

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:47 pm

AndyPaul wrote: Mines a lidl contract and only get to use my data between the hours or 3am and 4am.

Flash cunt.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09 pm

AndyPaul wrote:
Quiffy wrote:

Tesco contract? Posh. Mines a lidl contract and only get to use my data between the hours or 3am and 4am.

We are doing the Yorkshire men sketch right?

yes :mrgreen:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Tommy

O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Tommy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Just got the new iPhone 11 Pro and seems as though they’ve finally made a market leading phone for the first time in years. Thicker and heavier than the XS but better in every way. The camera in particular is astonishing.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:55 pm

Tommy wrote:Just got the new iPhone 11 Pro and seems as though they’ve finally made a market leading phone for the first time in years. Thicker and heavier than the XS but better in every way. The camera in particular is astonishing.

Pro a lot better than the standard 11 then? My mate has just upgraded the XR to the 11 and reckons it's pretty much the same phone.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm

My iPhone 8 is, IMO, too big. I'd bin the thing if I could but not my choice, sadly.

Mrs O got given an XR as a company phone and that's much too big. While we were away (she left it here) she bought a cover for it but obviously didn't appreciate that the X, XR and XS are all different sizes, so it's wrong. Why the 11 has to be different sizes again, fuck knows.

Anyway, stop buying new shite unless your old shite breaks irreparably.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:07 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Anyway, stop buying new shite unless your old shite breaks irreparably.

:thumbl:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Tommy wrote:Just got the new iPhone 11 Pro and seems as though they’ve finally made a market leading phone for the first time in years. Thicker and heavier than the XS but better in every way. The camera in particular is astonishing.

I'm expecting great things from the new pixel - camera on the last two has been amazing (which is why I got the wife one cos her photos always look like she took them with a potato).
The new one can apparently be used for making astronomical pics with superlong exposures and clever image combination in software.

When it comes out my old 2 will have a catastrophic fault immediately.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Tommy

O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Tommy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Anyway, stop buying new shite unless your old shite breaks irreparably.

The thing is if you wait too long your older iPhone will be worthless. I just got £700 for my XS, which isn’t too bad.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Tommy wrote:

The thing is if you wait too long your older iPhone will be worthless. I just got £700 for my XS, which isn’t too bad.

Nope. It can be considered to be without worth when it ceases to function. You're talking about reduced financial value, which is a hole you probably shouldn't have dug yourself into in the first place.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:24 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Nope. It can be considered to be without worth when it ceases to function. You're talking about reduced financial value, which is a hole you probably shouldn't have dug yourself into in the first place.

With Apple though, planned obsolescence means the 2 things happen pretty close to each other. The new phone comes out, six months later and the new iOS takes a nosedive in compatibility with the previous model.
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

Tommy

O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Tommy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:39 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:You're talking about reduced financial value, which is a hole you probably shouldn't have dug yourself into in the first place.

Yeah this is definitely true.

Still, it’s my one indulgence. Everything else I do is relatively cheap. We do use our phones every day for many tasks.

Tommy

O/T Nerdy phone advice

Postby Tommy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:50 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:With Apple though, planned obsolescence means the 2 things happen pretty close to each other. The new phone comes out, six months later and the new iOS takes a nosedive in compatibility with the previous model.

Nah this part isn’t true. Apple are the among the best in terms of supporting their older devices. The latest iOS (13) works fine on an iPhone 6S from four years ago. I used iOS 13 on my iPhone XS for a few weeks before upgrading and it was noticeably zippier than the previous version. The throttling controversy was actually due to Apple trying to keep devices running for longer, though they should have allowed users the option to turn it on and off.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:03 pm

Tommy wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:With Apple though, planned obsolescence means the 2 things happen pretty close to each other. The new phone comes out, six months later and the new iOS takes a nosedive in compatibility with the previous model.

Nah this part isn’t true. Apple are the among the best in terms of supporting their older devices. The latest iOS (13) works fine on an iPhone 6S from four years ago. I used iOS 13 on my iPhone XS for a few weeks before upgrading and it was noticeably zippier than the previous version. The throttling controversy was actually due to Apple trying to keep devices running for longer, though they should have allowed users the option to turn it on and off.

I would agree with this. I have an iPhone 7 for work, still runs perfectly.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Since I put 13 on an 8 my battery is dead on its arse. Can’t figure out what’s causing the bother.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:40 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Since I put 13 on an 8 my battery is dead on its arse. Can’t figure out what’s causing the bother.

When was the last time you switched it off completely?
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:47 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Since I put 13 on an 8 my battery is dead on its arse. Can’t figure out what’s causing the bother.

What's the battery health %?
Hmmm.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:47 pm

On the subject of older phones going strong, my galaxy S7 is the first phone in a decade I wasn't desperate to change well before my 2 years were up. Battery still going strong and it still performs well against most middle of the road current models.

I've just discovered it does wireless charging, didn't think that was a thing then so was oblivious until acquiring a corporate freebie yesterday.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:19 pm

Tycipa wrote:When was the last time you switched it off completely?

Thought I did after the upgrade, but I've just done it again to see if it makes any odds.

Ponte wrote:What's the battery health %?

86%

Return to “The Square Ball”