Tonites Cibercop.

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Oheddieeddie

Re: Tonites Cibercop.

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:18 am

I'd like to say thank you for all the good wishes and things you've written about the impact Eddie has made tonight. I honestly feel you may be giving me too much credit after a decade reading and posting here as tonight was very much my usual standard although of course it's nice to be recognised

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:24 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:I'd like to say thank you for all the good wishes and things you've written about the impact Eddie has made tonight. I honestly feel you may be giving me too much credit after a decade reading and posting here as tonight was very much my usual standard although of course it's nice to be recognised

:cheers:

Terre Harte

Postby Terre Harte » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:43 am

Peter Drury on the call here in the States. Normally, I’d be fine with that, but he probably took Phil Hay’s press box seat and that’s not cool.

As for the match? I skimmed through it to see the goals (we scored off a corner!) as I was working when it was on live.

Nothing to add other than I’m glad we comprehensively beat a club that sounds like they hail from a county seat in the panhandle of Oklahoma.
"If you sell the refrigerator to buy the beer, where the fuck do you put the beer?"

"My only weapon is my pen ... and the state of mind I’m in.”

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am

Mr Reality wrote:https://twitter.com/LUFC/status/1161393567262216192?s=19

Eddie on course to be my favourite loan player.

Scoring goals and posting thank you videos? This lad may become a bit of a crowd favourite here.
Keep it up Eddie :thumbl:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:14 am

i liked that we seemed to have a lot more pace up front last night. I cant wait to see Costa & Eddie in a proper league game. Agree with a few on here that the pace & movement slowed when Paddy came on.
Anyone else think our Eddie looks like Marlo Stanfield of The Wire fame.
Andymac

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:47 am

Know it was only Salford but it does look like Eddie is class above most loan players we've seen before, his movement is first class. Also very obvious that Arsenal see him as a future first team player given the amount of attention this loan is getting from their end.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:29 am

Just watched it on replay because i was working at the time.
Great to see the new and younger players doing well.
I understand the comments about Phillips first 20 minutes performance - probably playing too far advanced and (like many on the team) not able to pick a thru pass around the box. He can pass accurately to the wings, but in that period was playing to feet, so the recipient was either stopped or tracking back. Anyhow, he was better after that.
Davis and Eddie(?) were clearly up for it and Costa gradually found his way into the game. (Tho looked a a bit whiney early on).
Shackleton and Clarke seemed in each other's way, and did better when one switched to the other side - but clearly enjoying their game.
A pleasant diversion from worrying about dropping points in the league.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:35 am

I'm starting to have serious doubts about Alioski.
Great athlete and good attitude, but he's a complete warhead. Bielsaball requires a bit of (footballing) intelligence, and after 12 months he doesn't seem to have learned anything.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:41 am

Eddies Boots wrote:Just watched it on replay because i was working at the time.
I understand the comments about Phillips first 20 minutes performance - probably playing too far advanced and (like many on the team) not able to pick a thru pass around the box. He can pass accurately to the wings, but in that period was playing to feet, so the recipient was either stopped or tracking back. Anyhow, he was better after that.
Davis and Eddie(?) were clearly up for it and Costa gradually found his way into the game. (Tho looked a a bit whiney early on).
Shackleton and Clarke seemed in each other's way, and did better when one switched to the other side - but clearly enjoying their game.

I thought Costa and Clarke were both poor before switching wings. First thing Costa did after the switch was run at the full back, don't think he did that once on the left.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
Eddies Boots wrote:Just watched it on replay because i was working at the time.

I thought Costa and Clarke were both poor before switching wings. First thing Costa did after the switch was run at the full back, don't think he did that once on the left.

I think if someone told you that between them they are £25m worth of talent then you'd think the world had gone mad.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:52 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:I thought he was largely consistent throughout, dictating our play, stayed patient and never tried to force it - even the first couple of average shots served a purpose (attempts to draw them out to block the next one/sighters for the much better 3rd effort). But once we had the lead gaps started to appear and he could deliver a few more long diagonals, that always look good when they come off.

Absolutely not, Phil. For some reason I decided to concentrate on Kalvin tonight, maybe wondering how he'd do in a game where he'd be expecting to boss things, given the gulf in class. His forward passing all half long was abysmal. Kept giving the bloody ball away! Vastly improved second half.

99 of 117 passes were successful, 128 touches in all, 3 shots (2 on target), 2 crosses. I'm sure more of his misplaced passes were first half but for 35 minutes they were compact and organised, took us time to wear them down. I think that's the only real difference. I remember some intercepted passes, none which I thought could/should have reached the intended target with a bit more care.

I said FORWARD passes, mate. I was deliberately not including all the sideways/backwards easy-as-piss passes that are part of the position. As I said, I was watching him with the creative part of his game in mind because of the class difference between the teams: I wanted to see how good he might be as a fulcrum against a weaker side. [That may or may not have been down, in part, to Yeboah's criticism of him on here - not something I generally agree with.] His forward passing was rubbish. Admittedly, I wasn't counting, as such, but the passes he wasn't getting right - the diagonals and attempted through balls - were poor first half. Shack's pass for the goal was something Kalvin never came near to pulling off.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 am

I was pleased to see our high punts into the box have almost stopped. We tried to play though balls from the middle and also the crosses from out wide were mostly aimed low.

Berardi and Eddie both scoring from them.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:10 am

Eddie to start at Wigan, Shirley. Pat can come on for an amble when we're three up.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:11 am

dirty leeds wrote:
I said FORWARD passes, mate. I was deliberately not including all the sideways/backwards easy-as-piss passes that are part of the position. As I said, I was watching him with the creative part of his game in mind because of the class difference between the teams: I wanted to see how good he might be as a fulcrum against a weaker side. [That may or may not have been down, in part, to Yeboah's criticism of him on here - not something I generally agree with.] His forward passing was rubbish. Admittedly, I wasn't counting, as such, but the passes he wasn't getting right - the diagonals and attempted through balls - were poor first half. Shack's pass for the goal was something Kalvin never came near to pulling off.

I don't have access to the stats on it to see how many were attempted/successful in each half and there were certainly a couple of sloppy passes early on but not sure there were anywhere near enough to call the first half poor. Shack's pass was beautiful but also not something which is really in KP's job description, his role was to keep us ticking over and dictate our play.

It'll be interesting to see what we do at the weekend now, Costa looks ready to start but only in the right, where Pablo plays. Shackleton was good but Dallas has been practically flawless - we could leave Forshaw out and play both. Nketiah was lively but perhaps not involved enough to displace Bamford yet (I would make the switch, not sure Bielsa will). Does Berardi come into a back 3 with White and Cooper? Where does Pablo play if we do switch to the 3-3-1-3 as Harrison Nketiah Costa feels like the best front 3 in that system.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 am

Mustafaster wrote:I'm starting to have serious doubts about Alioski.
Great athlete and good attitude, but he's a complete warhead. Bielsaball requires a bit of (footballing) intelligence, and after 12 months he doesn't seem to have learned anything.

He got in a couple of decent crosses yesterday, but overall he was the worst player we had on the pitch by some distance. Admittedly he wasnt helped by comparisons with Clarke and Costa combining on the right, but for me he's cover for lb behind Davies and Douglas, and shouldn't be played further forward again injuries allowing.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:23 am

Agreed.
Andymac

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:30 am

I think that the pattern of our games this season are going to be very similar for 75% of them.

Teams have generally had a negative gameplan against us and so far it has not worked for them (Forest were very lucky).

In all three matches so far the first 10/15 minutes has been about establishing dominance of the ball and seeing the opposition lining up with massed defence.
Very few clear cut chances have come in the period of time but we have not looked like conceding a goal either, so deep are our opponents.

We seem to start getting in behind and creating half chances around the 20/25 minute mark and frustration can set in.

From 30 mins on wards we seem to be settled in and are starting to probe and create the odd decent chance. Our first goals have come during this period or not long after half time.

Players at our level do not have the discipline or concentration to defend for 90 minutes, if they did they would be in the prem. The downside of this is that if we do not convert those chances, we start to run out of patience as we did last night before Costa & Clarke switched resulting in the goal.

The above is nothing new and we all realised it would largely be like this but it seems even more embedded this season already.

I just wonder that if the majority of teams will play us with no ambition other than to hold out that this might play into our hands more this season?

Be interesting to see when a team lines up to have more of a go at us.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:36 am

jackos wrote:

He got in a couple of decent crosses yesterday, but overall he was the worst player we had on the pitch by some distance. Admittedly he wasnt helped by comparisons with Clarke and Costa combining on the right, but for me he's cover for lb behind Davies and Douglas, and shouldn't be played further forward again injuries allowing.

My issue is that the period immediately after he went off was by far our worst, and was when Twats' Weekend Hobby FC came back into it. Lot's of questions clearly, ie:

- Had we just decided we'd won and stopped bothering?
- Did their subs make a massive difference for them?
- Did Bamford kill our forward energy?

Or is there actually something in Gjanni constantly running around like a cock?

Dunno.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 am

KP is a defensive midfielder who's job it is to help protect the back 4 and be the platform to keep us ticking over.

He usually makes quite a few very important tackles each match

He usually comes up with 3 or 4 nice 'over the top' balls for a runner in each game. He is very good at switching the play with cross field passes.

Slide rule forward passes are not really his forte. Surely that is the job of players further forward?

The absence of a proper no10 last night probably highlighted this but I think that Shackleton has showed enough drive and ability to be given a go in that position. He seems to come up with a pass or run like that every time he plays.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:41 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
jackos wrote:

My issue is that the period immediately after he went off was by far our worst, and was when Twats' Weekend Hobby FC came back into it. Lot's of questions clearly, ie:

- Had we just decided we'd won and stopped bothering?
- Did their subs make a massive difference for them?
- Did Bamford kill our forward energy?

Or is there actually something in Gjanni constantly running around like a cock?

Dunno.

If nothing else his relentless pressing must unsettle teams when we don't have the ball. There was one moment, on 71 minutes, where the crazy bastard ran a full circle at full tilt, at first he was pressing but when we win the ball back he was getting into his attacking position.

Return to “The Square Ball”