It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Oheddieeddie
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Tacky with sweat and poisonous particulates.

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:59 pm

56 pm

So tonight I had to ring a lady I know in connection with a trivial piece of information I needed. Lovely lady I don’t know terribly well and she is of retirement age (not sure exact age)

Anyway turns out she hasn’t spoken to anyone for days. She has been going down the rabbit holes on social media (which she doesn’t understand and can’t filter too well) and getting more and more frightened.

I sort of reassured her and gave her some general advice, and a more reasoned way of looking at it.

I cannot tell you the lift it gave her, and the difference such a simple thing for me to do made on her outlook

I think what I’m saying is if theres somebody out there who could be the same your words might do them a bigger kindness than you could ever imagine. Give them a call check they’re ok

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby Quiffy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 pm

now i know i'm going to seem like a bit of a cunt, but that clapping on your doorstep for the NHS? isn't that just next level virtue signalling?

i do applaud the NHS, i'm happy for the NHS to know this, i've given and raised money for parts of the NHS, but i don't feel i need to let my neighbours know this.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Ontolly
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 pm
Location: Shrewsbury

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby Ontolly » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:54 pm

Quiffy wrote:now i know i'm going to seem like a bit of a cunt, but that clapping on your doorstep for the NHS? isn't that just next level virtue signalling?

i do applaud the NHS, i'm happy for the NHS to know this, i've given and raised money for parts of the NHS, but i don't feel i need to let my neighbours know this.

What you telling me for then?

Cunt
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby MightyWhite » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Quiffy wrote:now i know i'm going to seem like a bit of a cunt, but that clapping on your doorstep for the NHS? isn't that just next level virtue signalling?

i do applaud the NHS, i'm happy for the NHS to know this, i've given and raised money for parts of the NHS, but i don't feel i need to let my neighbours know this.


Meh. I didn't do it as I was putting kids to bed (probably wouldn't have done it anyway) but it was so widespread judging by the videos that it can't be anything other than a nice thing in these awful times
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby Quiffy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 pm

Ontolly wrote:
Quiffy wrote:now i know i'm going to seem like a bit of a cunt, but that clapping on your doorstep for the NHS? isn't that just next level virtue signalling?

i do applaud the NHS, i'm happy for the NHS to know this, i've given and raised money for parts of the NHS, but i don't feel i need to let my neighbours know this.

What you telling me for then?

Cunt

Signalling I don't like signalling to those who didn't get the signal because I'm a c....
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:32 pm

Quiffy wrote:now i know i'm going to seem like a bit of a cunt, but that clapping on your doorstep for the NHS? isn't that just next level virtue signalling?

i do applaud the NHS, i'm happy for the NHS to know this, i've given and raised money for parts of the NHS, but i don't feel i need to let my neighbours know this.


I do wonder how many of the happy clappers voted for the cunts who were so keen to underfund ventilators, masks, ICU beds and PPE.
HM Collector Of Parcels

User avatar
portadown white
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby portadown white » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 pm

Lots of lower league football being expunged. The season never happened. Could this happen higher up?

Thank Christ Liverpool haven’t already won the league otherwise the FA and FL would shut up shop saying that’s it, Scousers have won but no other relegation/promotion.

User avatar
OWETB
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:05 am
Location: Eating pig with the Prophet Mohammed

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby OWETB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 am

I woke up at 4.30, got up 5 minutes later, made a brew and went outside - absolutely fucking glorious, the sound of nature is awesome.

Came back inside to see that America has shot up the league table for confirmed cases, and now sits in first place, deaths will almost certainly give them the double - I should have not bothered with social media, the day started so well.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby jackos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:57 am

US are testing a lot more people though, same as Germany, which skews the data and makes it look like their mortality rate is a lot lower than other countries compared to the number of confirmed cases

Obviously worrying though. The people dying today will have been infected 3-4 weeks ago, those in intensive care were infected a couple of weeks ago.

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby Devi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:03 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:56 pm

So tonight I had to ring a lady I know in connection with a trivial piece of information I needed. Lovely lady I don’t know terribly well and she is of retirement age (not sure exact age)

Anyway turns out she hasn’t spoken to anyone for days. She has been going down the rabbit holes on social media (which she doesn’t understand and can’t filter too well) and getting more and more frightened.

I sort of reassured her and gave her some general advice, and a more reasoned way of looking at it.

I cannot tell you the lift it gave her, and the difference such a simple thing for me to do made on her outlook

I think what I’m saying is if theres somebody out there who could be the same your words might do them a bigger kindness than you could ever imagine. Give them a call check they’re ok


:salute:

And yes. I clapped.

If you didn’t, take a look at that film of the Excel hospital build, and tell me you’d like to be one of the ones in scrubs. Ya cunts.
I like it. What is it?

User avatar
The Tin Man
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby The Tin Man » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:18 am

Yeah of course I went to the doorstep and clapped you'd have to be a miserable bastard not to.In my own naive way I hope it's a game changer and that post-virus the govt are going to be much more accountable in their funding and running of the NHS. 40 new hospitals ? - show us a list you bullshitters, we want proof. Hopefully post-virus its going to be harder to bullshit the population. We'll demand that the NHS is funded properly commensurate with a first world country and that nurses get a pay rise.
For every step,the footprint was already there.

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby Devi » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:21 am

Look mum, I did a thread.

I like it. What is it?

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 am

The Tin Man wrote:Yeah of course I went to the doorstep and clapped you'd have to be a miserable bastard not to.In my own naive way I hope it's a game changer and that post-virus the govt are going to be much more accountable in their funding and running of the NHS. 40 new hospitals ? - show us a list you bullshitters, we want proof. Hopefully post-virus its going to be harder to bullshit the population. We'll demand that the NHS is funded properly commensurate with a first world country and that nurses get a pay rise.

I really really want to believe this, but don't.


I think we will be spun on the numbers much as we are being already, the Inquiry into the shitshow will be carefully managed in the chambers and in the media, and people will revert to their disdain for actual real spending on the NHS of the kind needed to prevent such chaos.

I doubt Bocialism from top down is gonna = socialism from bottom up, if that makes sense.

I may be wrong, but I have very, very low expectations of my fellow Brits. And they've fucking earned it.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 am

In fact this touches on a conversation I was having with the wife last night. We've both spent bits of time (all, for me until five years ago) since mid nineties in a variety of institutions next to or within hospitals.

No disrespect intended to clinical staff, but:

In that time some of the now- appreciated as key but historically most fucked-over NHS workers were the cleaners.
At the start of my time in these places they were NHS employees and you knew each other so well that if you were making a mess you'd get a telling off, consultant or no.

Then these guys were shifted to a private contractor - same folks, new uniform, new complaints about their management and doing more with less, somehow.

Then eventually these old hands would retire or give up and be replaced by disposables you never really got to know before they moved on - sometimes good folks who fit the previous type, sometimes sullen One-spot moppers who clearly CGAF.

The guts got ripped out of hospital cleaning by privatising it, and this is a battle that the NHS has been fighting since, a part of the PFI fiasco Gordon popularised. Thanks, Gordon.

And now here we are, with those same folks getting clapped and cheered. Feels a bit empty unless we're gonna actually fix the error, imho.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby jackos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 am

Blackwhite wrote:I really really want to believe this, but don't.


You would think it has to. It's a once in a century event that should change peoples behaviour for good. Unfortunately, despite Trump's obvious failures in handling the situation, polls there say is he just as popular as ever, we 49% of Yank's approving of the way he has handled the pandemic :shock: :shock:

It will most definitely change Europe, we failed Italy completely, and we are failing to unite to help each other now. Instead Italy is receiving assistance from China and Russia, and China is flying in medical supplies to countries across Europe. Obviously both Russia and China are less impacted by this than central Europe, and have the resources, so I would not criticise countries that have to look after domestic needs before sending supplied to their neighbours. It is hard to share when every country has shortages of medical supplied, but it will to have repercussions. Hopefully positive rather than negative so we are not got off guard again next time this happens

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:59 am

portadown white wrote:Lots of lower league football being expunged. The season never happened. Could this happen higher up?

Thank Christ Liverpool haven’t already won the league otherwise the FA and FL would shut up shop saying that’s it, Scousers have won but no other relegation/promotion.


Thankfully the expunge bandwagon has stalled at the National League level with a few clubs threatening legal challenges if the FA go down that route. More power to your Barrows and Notts County’s
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:02 am

jackos wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:I really really want to believe this, but don't.


You would think it has to. It's a once in a century event that should change peoples behaviour for good. Unfortunately, despite Trump's obvious failures in handling the situation, polls there say is he just as popular as ever, we 49% of Yank's approving of the way he has handled the pandemic :shock: :shock:

It will most definitely change Europe, we failed Italy completely, and we are failing to unite to help each other now. Instead Italy is receiving assistance from China and Russia, and China is flying in medical supplies to countries across Europe. Obviously both Russia and China are less impacted by this than central Europe, and have the resources, so I would not criticise countries that have to look after domestic needs before sending supplied to their neighbours. It is hard to share when every country has shortages of medical supplied, but it will to have repercussions. Hopefully positive rather than negative so we are not got off guard again next time this happens


Who’s failed Italy? “We”??
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby jackos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 am

MightyWhite wrote:Who’s failed Italy? “We”??


We as in Europeans and member countries of the EU, not you, you left.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 am

I would point at history.

What did the Spanish flu change, really? What processes were improved? What new health bodies set up that still exist?

In the US they had a pandemic response unit, until The Orange Turd closed it.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
MightyWhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:38 am
Location: Notts

Re: It's the End of The World as we know it - but its still going round

Postby MightyWhite » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:23 am

jackos wrote:
MightyWhite wrote:Who’s failed Italy? “We”??


We as in Europeans and member countries of the EU, not you, you left.


Ehh. To me, Italy is big enough and independent enough to sort their own shit out. Especially when everyone else is going under with it as well.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eddies Boots, Google [Bot], jackos and 18 guests