If Monk loses the next game...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
FredFlintstone

Post by FredFlintstone »

Thought I'd get the ball rolling on this one.

Of course it assumes that he'll be in charge for the first game of next season... :salute:

What do we give him then? October perhaps? Gone by Halloween? :pumpkin:
You said there'd be a free bar...
welshwhite

Re: If Monk loses the next game...

Post by welshwhite »

Monk out!
Marshy - Saviour of Premiership status.
Man Called Sun

Post by Man Called Sun »

Too skinny.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.
Blackwhite

Post by Blackwhite »

Man Called Sun wrote:Too skinny.
I hear he's going to plot the opposite trajectory from BFSE, and is already on the melted Haagen-Daas "milkshakes". Max has him on the Belushi diet.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.
LSD&2Es

Post by LSD&2Es »

Hey Hey we're the Monkee's........

Coat.....
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."
the flying pig

Post by the flying pig »

would I be right in saying that he had no coaching experience at all at any level [i.e. none as an assistant or whatever], and didn't have his badges or owt [did he ever do/finish them?], when he was made Swansea manager, i.e. pretty much exactly two years ago.

if correct then the guy seems to me to be an ex player [almost exclusively a lower division one at that, if such things matter] pure and simple. I can't begin to imagine why his popular perception is so incomparably higher than good old dave hockaday's was.

both are ex lower division players.

after playing hockaday did a couple of decades' worth of coaching, mostly in junior roles and/or at a low level.

monk's playing experience is much more recent, & after that he jumped straight into a few dozen games' worth of a premier league level 'management' career. does this [and the inevitably superior head of hair, wardrobe, etc] really make him an incomparably better candidate than 'the hock'?

anyway, whatever.

my money's on Epiphany, BTW, i.e. January 6 2017. I guessed the same date (a year earlier) for BFSE and was pleasantly surprised by how long he lasted.
Blackwhite

Post by Blackwhite »

Another few years of this and Gaz will feel statistically powered enough to model the likely interval in R with a 95% CI banding.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.
gazurtoids

Post by gazurtoids »

Seems he was in the middle of getting his uefa 'A' licence when Swansea promoted him: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... el-laudrup

But, yeah, it's mostly the sharper dressing, association with the Premier League & Swansea, and lack of resemblance to a shrivelled bollock, I expect. Probably somewhat more 'cultured' as a player too? But this probably goes for players as well as fans and so it seems reasonably likely that Monk will be able to get on with them better / get ideas across more effectively than poor old Hockers could (for whatever that would have been worth).
gazurtoids

Post by gazurtoids »

I guess that's "we are the champions, champions of europe..." on the wall. Anyone else think it's a bit, well, classless to have it up on the walls at Elland Road? Very much a thing to be expressed by the fans, rather than by the club (to the extent that wallpaper counts as "official") imo.
BC

Post by BC »

Less likely to have our players piss about in a stream than the Hock though.
the flying pig

Post by the flying pig »

gazurtoids wrote:Image

I guess that's "we are the champions, champions of europe..." on the wall. Anyone else think it's a bit, well, classless to have it up on the walls at Elland Road? Very much a thing to be expressed by the fans, rather than by the club (to the extent that wallpaper counts as "official") imo.
Ha, dunno.

still, that, er, timepiece on his wrist looks like it might have set him back a few quid? Got to be worth a few points on the board compared to tramps like Evans and hock?
The Tin Man

Post by The Tin Man »

Does anyone seriously think Monk will do better (achieve a higher league position) than Evans would have done next year ? Maybe that question's irrelevant now. I ask that because he's only been given a one year "rolling" contract. Where are we going to finish next year. My prediction is 12th. Where would we have finished under Evans ? I'm guessing higher that 12th but we'll never know évidemment
For every step,the footprint was already there.
BC

Post by BC »

I think 12th is a bit optimistic tbh. Depends on recruitment a bit (ha).

I also fear if this is the season where Cellino's gutting of infrastructure starts to show. Hope Gary likes putting the cones out, doing the washing and the scouting...
gazurtoids

Post by gazurtoids »

Swansea were still training in a local gym during Rodgers' tenure iirc, dunno if that continued through Laudrup and Monk's stints . Monk might well consider TA to be the height of opulence.
BC

Post by BC »

gazurtoids wrote:Swansea were still training in a local gym during Rodgers' tenure iirc, dunno if that continued through Laudrup and Monk's stints . Monk might well consider TA to be the height of opulence.
Nah
gazurtoids

Post by gazurtoids »

BC wrote:
gazurtoids wrote:Swansea were still training in a local gym during Rodgers' tenure iirc, dunno if that continued through Laudrup and Monk's stints . Monk might well consider TA to be the height of opulence.
Nah
Eh, probably not then. That's what a couple of seasons worth of PL dosh gets you, I guess.
BC

Post by BC »

He was a bit crap with all his gadgets, info and staff. Sure he'll work wonders with what we can give him.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

It's not a particularly good appointment, just a marginally less shit one than say, Evans or Hockaday. Monk is a fairly unknown quantity and seems like a decent enough chap so for the moment it serves the purpose of being a momentary distraction away from the sad fact that we're never going to get very far until we rid ourselves of owners who are essentially looking for a ransom. I suspect that being daft enough to accept the job as is should probably preclude you from being appointed. Like many before, Monk is presumably ignoring the many hundreds of red flags because he's picturing himself managing the famous Leeds United. It'll go badly at some point but at least he's not Steve Evans.

I think we do have the nucleus of a good team with some promising youngsters on the cusp of breaking through, so there's a slim chance Monk could do alright. If we sell Bellusci and bring in a couple of new signings, I reckon we could even finish in the top half of the league. However, much more likely is we’ll sling Monk out before he's had a chance to instil a system and appoint whoever is next in the presumably inexhaustible line of red-faced, bellowing shithouses in his place.
LSD&2Es

Post by LSD&2Es »

Isn't that the crux of the problem though? Monk shouldn't be the one instilling the system, the head of recruitment and director of football (neither of which we have do we?) should do that and the head coach should come in eyes wide open working to the club's ethos, then you can switch coaches. If MC were to put the infrastructure in place, the coaching frequency wouldn't seem so bad

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
welshwhite

Re:

Post by welshwhite »

LSD&2Es wrote:Isn't that the crux of the problem though? Monk shouldn't be the one instilling the system, the head of recruitment and director of football (neither of which we have do we?) should do that and the head coach should come in eyes wide open working to the club's ethos, then you can switch coaches. If MC were to put the infrastructure in place, the coaching frequency wouldn't seem so bad

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
I heard you once came second in a Garry Monk look-alike contest

Garry Monk came third.
Marshy - Saviour of Premiership status.