O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Quiffy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:38 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Q, if I might be so bold, I identify with the quiet dissatisfaction I inferred in your answer.

Make some time. Turn off your usual worries, inflate your lungs, float downstream on it all.

And suddenly you can watch escapist shite. Apologies if this comes over as patronising shit, but a mental division is helpful for me.

Forgot to ask BW. on a scale of 1 to 10 how stoned were you when you wrote this?

Stoned, I'd say a 2.

Very very sad about something at that moment, a solid 9.

ahhh. best wishes.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Charlie Don't Surf

Postby Charlie Don't Surf » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:42 pm

FredFlintstone wrote:Can't say I'm interested in the first one but some of the others look good:

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/ ... -thursdays

one man two governors is brilliant, I went to see it twice and fortunately James Corden wasn't in either production.
BREAK HIS LEGS!!

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am

'better call saul' season 5 - it's excellent in parts but the pace it moves at can be frustrating... e.g. in the most recent episode
Spoiler!
nacho and mike's conversation just didn't pack any punch for me because it's so long since they were last on screen together, iirc season 3, fully three years ago, that i can't properly remember what their relationship is, how well they know each other, etc

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:19 pm

the flying pig wrote:'better call saul' season 5 - it's excellent in parts but the pace it moves at can be frustrating... e.g. in the most recent episode
Spoiler!
nacho and mike's conversation just didn't pack any punch for me because it's so long since they were last on screen together, iirc season 3, fully three years ago, that i can't properly remember what their relationship is, how well they know each other, etc

fair point, but it was only 2 minutes out of the episode so i forgot about it.

just watched 'book of eli' on amazon. 6.5 /10 post apocalyptic nonsense but it does have denzel washington and mila kunis in. denzel used to be the coolest man in the world until marcelo turned up, but he's still quite cool. mila kunis is just fit as.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Still Hates Gordon Watson

O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:57 am

The wife and I have just started watching Home, the sitcom about a Syrian refugee living with a suburban family in Dorking, on All4. Beautifully written and acted, especially the guy who plays Samir the refugee.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:29 am

Watched "The English Game " recently . As a drama its pretty decent , though its quite inaccurate too . Blackburn side that won that first professional cup winning team was Olympic NOT Rovers that Suter played for - the writer conveniently merged the two sides into one it would seem ....if you don't take it seriously its decent , but if you like the actual history , its guff . Also Suter apparently engineered his moves , not the clubs who made it so .

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:45 am

Clacton white wrote:Watched "The English Game " recently . As a drama its pretty decent , though its quite inaccurate too . Blackburn side that won that first professional cup winning team was Olympic NOT Rovers that Suter played for - the writer conveniently merged the two sides into one it would seem ....if you don't take it seriously its decent , but if you like the actual history , its guff . Also Suter apparently engineered his moves , not the clubs who made it so .

It was useful to show my middle child. She's just getting into football more seriously (playing for a club and doing GCSE PE) and it will be a good lead into Moscow's book (once i finish it) and inverting the pyramid (if i can find it)

I didnt know how inaccurate it was until i read a short guardian piece on it, did make me wonder why they didn't tell the story more accurately. For instance Love was the one Darwen bought first, then Suter asked to join. That wouldn't have been too difficult to add to the storyline and having Suter come through as the hungrier one later would have worked (a bit like Masinga and Radebe?!)
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:16 am

FredFlintstone wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Anyone watching Star Trek Picard?
[I guess, to me, it's like Star Wars is for some of you young folk - can't leave it alone because I used to like it when I were a lad.]
Thought it was stuffy and slow-moving at first but after five episodes it just picked up with the arrival of an old face from series past.
Might be worth sticking with. If it's your thing.

Really enjoying it. It's lot more mature than anything Trek has been previously.

Saw the final episode last night. I see they already picked it up for a second season. Enjoyed it overall, though there were a fair few moments along the way when I lost patience with it.
Spoiler!
The ludicrous accents attempted by the ship's captain when appearing as a hologram. Why the fuck do Americans never get this shit right? The quick [apparent] death for the glamorous-but-deadly sister. [I say 'apparent' as they could just about bring her back, if they wished.] And why do all these bloody sci-fi series have to include a samurai-type fighty bloke with a sword?

Patrick Stewart looked to have been enjoying himself, though. Which is nice.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:24 am

Been watching Deutschland 83 as we didn’t bother at the time. Really good.

I think BW said something about watching escapist shit to take your mind off the here and now. In a sense, this fails at that because it’s all about paranoia and the imminent threat of nuclear war, but I think it does a job.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:09 pm

there's a feature about 100 years of leeds united coming up on football focus.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:17 pm

also, just been watching this 40 minute documentary about the great man.
https://vimeo.com/310308615

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:19 pm

Quiffy wrote:there's a feature about 100 years of leeds united coming up on football focus.

Got that on record - watch later as I'm off for my walk now .

Return to “The Square Ball”