OT Tour de France

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: OT Tour de France

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 am

'Ere we go again. Bonne chance, Cav and VaVaFroome, even if he is a bit of a Saffer.

Clacton white

Postby Clacton white » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Eventful first day . A crash , moved finish line , bus stuck under the finish gantry . Only thing missing were striking Frenchies .
Corsica doesn't look too bad as a holiday destination either .

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Clacton white wrote:Corsica doesn't look too bad as a holiday destination either .

Lovely, according to Italian friends. Go.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

portadown white

Postby portadown white » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:10 am

2nd stage in Corsica was brilliant. Great scenery, good mountain climbs etc. Why has it taken 100 years for the French to hold stages there?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 06, 2014 10:00 am

Anyone got any plans to go watch?

I'm assuming they'll close the roads and prevent parking for ages beforehand, so it'll be a bugger to get anywhere near the nice climbs unless you camp out. I'd quite like to watch on Holme Moss because we used to live up that way, so could maybe park somewhere over Saddleworth Moor way and then shlep a couple of miles over the tops to the Moss.

Any other good spots?

thestraw

Postby thestraw » Tue May 06, 2014 10:11 am

Anyone got a map of what route they are proposing to take round Saddleworth way?
#MOT #GAWA

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 06, 2014 10:20 am

thestraw wrote:Anyone got a map of what route they are proposing to take round Saddleworth way?

Nah

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue May 06, 2014 3:09 pm

the first part of the day 2 route as it leaves york city centre takes in part of my cycle home before it crosses the river, a mile or so later it picks up part of my regular trudging route as it leaves york. i wonder if they'll beat my average cycling time of 13 mph? :wheels:

i'm looking forward to that sunday - watch them whizz past then its time for a few drinks french style.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Dods

Postby Dods » Tue May 06, 2014 5:51 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Anyone got any plans to go watch?

I'm assuming they'll close the roads and prevent parking for ages beforehand, so it'll be a bugger to get anywhere near the nice climbs unless you camp out. I'd quite like to watch on Holme Moss because we used to live up that way, so could maybe park somewhere over Saddleworth Moor way and then shlep a couple of miles over the tops to the Moss.

Any other good spots?

I was going to, seeing as it virtually passes my house, but I just realised I'll be away at a music festival that whole weekend.
Bugger! :x :shock:
"When Eddie Gray plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints." - Don Revie

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue May 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Dods wrote:I was going to, seeing as it virtually passes my house, but I just realised I'll be away at a music festival that whole weekend.

It's a bunch of blokes in tight pants on bikes, go stand on the end of your street any day of the week n you can see the same thing, only without the crowds...

Dods

Postby Dods » Tue May 06, 2014 8:54 pm

jackos wrote:
Dods wrote:I was going to, seeing as it virtually passes my house, but I just realised I'll be away at a music festival that whole weekend.

It's a bunch of blokes in tight pants on bikes, go stand on the end of your street any day of the week n you can see the same thing, only without the crowds...

True.
I bet these cunts on Le Tour ride through the fucking red lights too!
"When Eddie Gray plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints." - Don Revie

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed May 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Ffs Dods the MAMIL's on here will be after your blood, steady on

ARDS

Postby ARDS » Wed May 07, 2014 8:52 pm

jackos wrote:

Giro de Italia here on Friday in Norn Iron for two days , the start of the tour of Italy basically which has a following as big as the french tour . The winner gets a pink jersey .
Forza Leeds Utd

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed May 07, 2014 10:15 pm

ARDS wrote:Giro de Italia here on Friday in Norn Iron for two days , the start of the tour of Italy basically which has a following as big as the french tour . The winner gets a pink jersey .

Yep, read about it and was really impressed they've done it. First major international sporting event held there? :salute:

ARDS

Postby ARDS » Wed May 07, 2014 10:26 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
ARDS wrote:Giro de Italia here on Friday in Norn Iron for two days , the start of the tour of Italy basically which has a following as big as the french tour . The winner gets a pink jersey .

Yep, read about it and was really impressed they've done it. First major international sporting event held there? :salute:

I know it's not sporting but we also had the only PEACEFUL g8 summit in history !!!!!!!!

In Norn Iron figure that one ?
Forza Leeds Utd

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed May 07, 2014 10:37 pm

ARDS wrote:
I know it's not sporting but we also had the only PEACEFUL g8 summit in history !!!!!!!!

In Norn Iron figure that one ?

Folk know better than to fuck around near a checkpoint?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:01 pm

TSB biking experts I am looking for some advice.

I have decided to give the bike to work scheme(with evans)a whirl(although it will mainly be used for dinner time rides, as Leeds to Wakefield down the M1 would be a little dangerous :D )

Anyhow I have set myself a budget of £500(approximately £28 a month) and would appreciate any advice on which make and models to go for.

It will be mainly used for riding around the woods.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :thumbl:

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:11 pm

if it's for mainly riding round woods you need a mountain bike, as you'll want fatter tyres and a bit of suspension.

as for the tour, they've now got 1 month to finish the roundabout near my house that the tour goes through. they've been going for 14 months now and it still looks miles from finished.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:16 pm

Mr Reality wrote:TSB biking experts I am looking for some advice.

I have decided to give the bike to work scheme(with evans)a whirl(although it will mainly be used for dinner time rides, as Leeds to Wakefield down the M1 would be a little dangerous :D )

Anyhow I have set myself a budget of £500(approximately £28 a month) and would appreciate any advice on which make and models to go for.

It will be mainly used for riding around the woods.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :thumbl:

I would say that the Ford Mondeo of casual off-roading (decent enough, solid, reliable) is still the Specialized Hardrock. I'm not up on things enough to recommend what other current models are considered decent TBH

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:25 pm

I tried this today

The Kona and Scott are also on the shortlist.

Any big differences between the three of them in terms of the spec? Or are they all pretty similar?

The Rockhopper was very nice although I am not sure hopping will be on my agenda, well at least not intentionally.

I appreciate all advice thank you. :thumbl:

Return to “The Square Ball”