I would love it, just love it. Cyberkop.

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
welshwhite

Re: I would love it, just love it. Cyberkop.

Postby welshwhite » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:52 pm

Having stuck my head under the faucet a couple of times I'm only now starting to cool down after that result.

We should be able to conceed one goal and still get some sort of result with our style of play, it doesn't happen because MB expects James, Rodrigo & Roberts to either create or score a respectable amount of goals between them.

Here's the news: It ain't going to fucking happen, never has, never will.

Incredible!

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:55 pm

Yep agree with that

Anyone got a theory as to what Southgate was there for? Apart from assessing Dallas, obvs.
I like it. What is it?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:10 pm

Devi wrote:Anyone got a theory as to what Southgate was there for? Apart from assessing Dallas, obvs.

Roberts was born in England (Gloucester) maybe Southgate wants him to change codes and play for England.

Or maybe he is wanting Dan James to do the exact same thing.
He was also born in England (Kingston upon Hull).

It's a funny old game.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:24 pm

Devi wrote:Yep agree with that

Anyone got a theory as to what Southgate was there for? Apart from assessing Dallas, obvs.

partly I suppose because Leeds is his local ground, the closest to where he lives. useful for him to watch games I suppose to keep his finger on the pulse of football generally, check on someone like raphina. I suppose he'd have been primarily interested in how trippier's form is holding up, and no harm in his being in direct opposition to Jackie.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:05 am

Normally when we've lost at home, Rapha is the first off the pitch. Today, long after Roberts had done his lap of honour, Rapha walked very slowly down to the Kop and gave his shirt to what seemed to be the first person to hold out his hand. I hope that is no more than a reflection of the fact that he's off to play for Brazil.

BARE-NAKED-LADY

Postby BARE-NAKED-LADY » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:31 am

Phil LUFC wrote:He doesn't fit in our best XI for me but I fear he's very much in Bielsa's. I don't rate him but somewhere in there is the guy who scored 2 high class goals at Burnley last season. I want to see more of that guy.

Yes, but that's just it, that player you saw was playing up front. We're short of strikers, so he should have put him up front, not James. He should have sacrificed one of the wingers.

Sometimes I think Bielsa wants to please or fit everyone in. He needs to be more ruthless.
B-N-L

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:43 am

BARE-NAKED-LADY wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:He doesn't fit in our best XI for me but I fear he's very much in Bielsa's. I don't rate him but somewhere in there is the guy who scored 2 high class goals at Burnley last season. I want to see more of that guy.

Yes, but that's just it, that player you saw was playing up front. We're short of strikers, so he should have put him up front, not James. He should have sacrificed one of the wingers.

Sometimes I think Bielsa wants to please or fit everyone in. He needs to be more ruthless.

I think the first requirement for a Bielsa striker is the pressing. James can do that really well and I think that's why he gets the nod. I think it's also why Roberts plays there ahead of Rodrigo.

Rodrigo does it that little bit slower, doesn't bother at all more often and has almost zero chance of winning the ball if he does get there in time.

Ideally he's a player who comes on when we're already winning to exploit the spaces on the break against a team over committing. Otherwise, I imagine he'd be perfect for a team good enough to have 70% possession and play almost entirely on the front foot.

BARE-NAKED-LADY

Postby BARE-NAKED-LADY » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
BARE-NAKED-LADY wrote:

I think the first requirement for a Bielsa striker is the pressing. James can do that really well and I think that's why he gets the nod. I think it's also why Roberts plays there ahead of Rodrigo.

Rodrigo does it that little bit slower, doesn't bother at all more often and has almost zero chance of winning the ball if he does get there in time.

Ideally he's a player who comes on when we're already winning to exploit the spaces on the break against a team over committing. Otherwise, I imagine he'd be perfect for a team good enough to have 70% possession and play almost entirely on the front foot.

I'm in agreement Phil, but there's no point in pressing (James & Tyler), when you score fk all goals. Rodrigo is a striker (I think) the other 2 aren't.
Or maybe drop Rodrigo & put Jackie up front who can actually score & James on the wing. He's said in the past that Jackie can play up front, why not try it.
B-N-L

BARE-NAKED-LADY

Postby BARE-NAKED-LADY » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:59 am

Or maybe buy another fking striker. Musta is right in that respect. All those bloody chances yesterday & nobody, nobody there to put them away!
B-N-L

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:59 am

Or why not do something really radical and play a striker in the striker role?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:01 am

The pressing is very important but the amount of times we play good balls into the box to where a CF should be and nobody is there is criminal.
Separate point but one that annoys me is that James also needs to watch some videos of us last year and in the championship and see how good pulling the ball back can be.

BARE-NAKED-LADY

Postby BARE-NAKED-LADY » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:03 am

Mustafaster wrote:Or why not do something really radical and play a striker in the striker role?

Novel idea.
B-N-L

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:04 am

Phil LUFC wrote:I think the first requirement for a Bielsa striker is the pressing. James can do that really well and I think that's why he gets the nod. I think it's also why Roberts plays there ahead of Rodrigo.

I suspect you're right, but the first requirement for a striker should always be finishing quality.

It's like Bielsa is Alec Guinness's character from "Bridge On The River Kwai". He's so obsessed with building the bridge, that he risks losing sight of the basic reasons these players are where they're at on the pitch in the first place.
"The supporters, the only thing to them is that they love their club.
The only thing the receive in exchange is emotions.
For this reason, the supporter is the best thing in football." - Marcelo Bielsa

Devi

Postby Devi » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:07 am

Mustafaster wrote:Or why not do something really radical and play a striker in the striker role?

:salute:
I like it. What is it?

BARE-NAKED-LADY

Postby BARE-NAKED-LADY » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:08 am

Ponte wrote:The pressing is very important but the amount of times we play good balls into the box to where a CF should be and nobody is there is criminal.
Separate point but one that annoys me is that James also needs to watch some videos of us last year and in the championship and see how good pulling the ball back can be.

True in regards to Dan's passing, but he played a peach of a pass in the box in the second half and ironically coming back to your first point, nobody was there to tap it in.

Need a proper striker. Seems Tommy was right, Bamford could be out for the rest of the season. (angry face).
B-N-L

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:24 am

BARE-NAKED-LADY wrote:
Ponte wrote:The pressing is very important but the amount of times we play good balls into the box to where a CF should be and nobody is there is criminal.

True in regards to Dan's passing, but he played a peach of a pass in the box in the second half and ironically coming back to your first point, nobody was there to tap it in.

Need a proper striker. Seems Tommy was right, Bamford could be out for the rest of the season. (angry face).

Im not slating James really, I like him a lot just sometimes he needs to look more.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:57 am

BARE-NAKED-LADY wrote:
I'm in agreement Phil, but there's no point in pressing (James & Tyler), when you score fk all goals. Rodrigo is a striker (I think) the other 2 aren't.
Or maybe drop Rodrigo & put Jackie up front who can actually score & James on the wing. He's said in the past that Jackie can play up front, why not try it.

I'm not convinced Harrison is any more suited to it in truth. At this stage the answer should be simple: Play Gelhardt there.

I agree we should be using Rodrigo as a striker (or not at all) and not as a #10. Our #10 role under Bielsa has always been creative midfielder rather than 2nd striker, even if we've often played a striker there.

Hopefully we get this lad from Salzburg and then Bielsa feels obligated to play him in the way he seemingly feels obligated to play Rodrigo.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:24 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
BARE-NAKED-LADY wrote:

I'm not convinced Harrison is any more suited to it in truth. At this stage the answer should be simple: Play Gelhardt there.

I agree we should be using Rodrigo as a striker (or not at all) and not as a #10. Our #10 role under Bielsa has always been creative midfielder rather than 2nd striker, even if we've often played a striker there.

Hopefully we get this lad from Salzburg and then Bielsa feels obligated to play him in the way he seemingly feels obligated to play Rodrigo.

Sounds like we're not, though? Last I read was they won't sell until summer.
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:56 am

dirty leeds wrote:Sounds like we're not, though? Last I read was they won't sell until summer.

In that case it's time to use plan B.
He say's expecting there to be no plan B.

At least they can say they tried though :thumbd:

Those incompetent cunts running the club owe a lot to the hard working players here for saving the club from an almost certain relegation.

Also: For a player like Gelhardt to properly flourish he's gonna need quality players around him.

And where the fuck is our back-up goalkeeper?

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:27 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
BARE-NAKED-LADY wrote:

This is the reason I'm hoping one of the Spanish clubs makes a bit. He'd be decent in a team like that. Free up some wages, doesn't need to happen in this window but maybe the summer.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Return to “The Square Ball”