The happy old man thread...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Mustafaster

Re: The happy old man thread...

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:32 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Very niche, but since we moved house in October I’ve realised that this is the first place we’ve lived in maybe 30 years where the view from the windows was longer than a couple of hundred yards (well, disregarding our last place in Camden where we could see the Telecom Tower etc a mile or so away)

Just looking out of the windows now and seeing a couple of ranges of hills several miles away, particularly at sunrise and sunset; well it’s a beautiful thing innit. But when we didn’t have it I didn’t know I was missing it.

Probably the best thing about our gaffe is the view.
Open the blinds every morning and look out at the Picos de Europa mountain range.
One of Europe's best kept secrets.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:09 pm

Having a decent view from the house/garden is one thing I crave. We're limited to where we can be due to autistic son's requirements, so not expecting to have one, really. Although with these new Bielsa branded binoculars, I can see what the tattoo says on the inside of her across t'road's thigh.
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Having a decent view from the house/garden is one thing I crave. We're limited to where we can be due to autistic son's requirements, so not expecting to have one, really. Although with these new Bielsa branded binoculars, I can see what the tattoo says on the inside of her across t'road's thigh.

We lived, briefly, in a top floor flat, top of the hill on St. Reatham / Norwood borders. Spectacular views over London, but a truly horrible place to live. Maybe you could shuffle in a Palace-wards direction at some point and enjoy the views from there.
Member of a clique

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:41 pm

Out of my back windows I can see a hill way across the other side of the city, just off the top of which some good friends have lived for donkey's years. Lovely spot, and nice to look over there and think of them idly and how they're doing.

Then I remember it's a well frequented dogging spot and start laughing.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:56 pm

Rare appearance on this thread…

Meeting delayed by ½ an hour with no notice.

Time for a pint and a fish finger sandwich, reasonably priced and in an altogether pleasant city pub.
I like it. What is it?

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:41 pm

To understand this, you'd have to read the grumpy old man thread, but, we're in the midst of very heavy snow. I complained about dragging my old ass outside to shovel.

However, my neighbor came by, unsolicited, with his snow-blower and cleared off our sidewalk, the area on the street where we park, and our walkway from sidewalk to stoop.

An approximate reaction from myself ...

:cheers:
"The supporters, the only thing to them is that they love their club.
The only thing the receive in exchange is emotions.
For this reason, the supporter is the best thing in football." - Marcelo Bielsa

FER

Postby FER » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:18 pm

Terre Harte II wrote:However, my neighbor came by, unsolicited, with his snow-blower and cleared off our sidewalk, the area on the street where we park, and our walkway from sidewalk to stoop.

Had something similar happen back in 2010. We'd moved into a house so we'd have some room for our new baby and the snow was pretty bad. We were in a little cul-de-sac with only 4 houses (behind Yorkshire Amateurs) and the neighbour came and helped shovel with me. I broke his nice shovel after about 5 mins shovelling. I never replaced it and we moved away shortly after.

They were all a bit strange round there. We got a card through the letterbox when we moved in that read "Welcome to our little cul-de-sac". Knew straight away we wouldn't like it.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:02 pm

FER wrote:
Terre Harte II wrote:However, my neighbor came by, unsolicited, with his snow-blower and cleared off our sidewalk, the area on the street where we park, and our walkway from sidewalk to stoop.

Had something similar happen back in 2010. We'd moved into a house so we'd have some room for our new baby and the snow was pretty bad. We were in a little cul-de-sac with only 4 houses (behind Yorkshire Amateurs) and the neighbour came and helped shovel with me. I broke his nice shovel after about 5 mins shovelling. I never replaced it and we moved away shortly after.

They were all a bit strange round there. We got a card through the letterbox when we moved in that read "Welcome to our little cul-de-sac". Knew straight away we wouldn't like it.

Pampas grass in the front garden?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:11 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
FER wrote:They were all a bit strange round there. We got a card through the letterbox when we moved in that read "Welcome to our little cul-de-sac". Knew straight away we wouldn't like it.

Pampas grass in the front garden?

We've been trying to nail the vibe round here since we moved. Just our little bit is great, but I said to the Mrs t'other day that you go a bit further down one of the roads and there's a definite Fritzl incest-baby-in-a-basement thing going on.

As a student of the built environment I wish I could figure out exactly what the distinct markers are for this.
Member of a clique

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:19 pm

I’ve won on three consecutive lottery draws this week and then on the monthly premium bond draw.

A startling total of £106-odd.

Just weird how there’s nothing for months then they’re along like buses.
Member of a clique

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:14 pm

Cheltenham.

Nuff said.
I like it. What is it?

FredFlintstone

Postby FredFlintstone » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:25 pm

Cracking day today so took the scanner up to LBA, sat by the wall in the sun and watched/listened to the flights coming and going for a couple of hours. Got a few nice photos as they were landing N/S too. Picked up fish 'n chips at Murgs on the way back.
You said there'd be a free bar...

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:54 pm

Sitting with a Staropramen on the beach at Woolacombe. Mrs OEE is sleepily watching the world go by, whilst my Shetland Sheepdog, is looking up at me approvingly. It doesn’t get better than this

There is still some heat in the day as the revellers retire to their obligations and the young evening crowd turn up, festooned with barbecues, and promise.

The waves are rolling in, bluer than they’ve ever been as a scum of stubborn dog accessoried locals stick to the shoreline, tutting at the temerity of the incomers besieging there place of ritual.

As the majestic tide rolls on out, the soft sand practically dares you to get unshod and feel the warm beach shift and flutter and between your toes.

The world slows down as if to savour the suns luminescent rays warming the water before reflecting back the heaving bilious mass, Its a light show that peacocks, and beckons the reticent early summer to hasten its arrival. You feel that today it will take the bet

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:11 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Sitting with a Staropramen on the beach at Woolacombe. Mrs OEE is sleepily watching the world go by, whilst my Shetland Sheepdog, is looking up at me approvingly. It doesn’t get better than this

There is still some heat in the day as the revellers retire to their obligations and the young evening crowd turn up, festooned with barbecues, and promise.

The waves are rolling in, bluer than they’ve ever been as a scum of stubborn dog accessoried locals stick to the shoreline, tutting at the temerity of the incomers besieging there place of ritual.

As the majestic tide rolls on out, the soft sand practically dares you to get unshod and feel the warm beach shift and flutter and between your toes.

The world slows down as if to savour the suns luminescent rays warming the water before reflecting back the heaving bilious mass, Its a light show that peacocks, and beckons the reticent early summer to hasten its arrival. You feel that today it will take the bet

Aye. Plenty of lasses with their tits and that out too.
Keep Fighting

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:20 pm

MightyWhite wrote:
Oheddieeddie wrote:Sitting with a Staropramen on the beach at Woolacombe. Mrs OEE is sleepily watching the world go by, whilst my Shetland Sheepdog, is looking up at me approvingly. It doesn’t get better than this

:mrgreen:

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:32 pm

:D
Ponte wrote:
MightyWhite wrote:

:mrgreen:

I wonder if Jack fucking Kerouac ever had to put up with this shit. :thumbd: :bounce:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:02 am

It’s why he did the drugs, Eddie. Same for Enid Blyton.
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:09 am

eric olthwaite wrote:It’s why he did the drugs, Eddie. Same for Enid Blyton.

Ham and tomato sandwiches just aren't enough for some people.
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:18 am

I am heartened to know that Fat Frank is not a fan of my ilk.

Feeling’s mutual, Tory dickwipe.
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:35 am

I like 'Frankie de Tory' as a name for him.

Return to “The Square Ball”